Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorie6

Sweet Autumn Clematis

sorie6 zone 6b
12 years ago

Anyone in the Denver metro area grow this? I've seen some beautiful pics lately but not in our area. TIA

Comments (2)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

Hi Sorie,

I'm surprised somebody hasn't been along with some comments about this for you---and I haven't had time what with all my recent Computer Woes and with trying to get ready for the swap!

Here's my take on 'Sweet Autumn'! When I was at Paulino's we frequently had people coming in specifically looking for it--we sold a lot of it. I had never heard of it before I started there, and I assumed it must be very pretty--it has a very "sellable" name! Then, when we got some in in larger pots that were in full bloom one time I kind of looked at it and went: WHAT! I understand that everybody likes something different, but I wasn't really all that impressed with it! Lots of small white flowers! It's supposed to be fragrant, but I couldn't find any fragrance at all--possibly because of the growing conditions in pots? I don't know! If I remember right, it was very popular for a while because one of our "local experts" had put it in one of their books or something, possibly Lauren Springer, but I'm really not sure about that anymore!

Since it blooms in late summer/fall, you might want to see if you can find one in bloom somewhere to see what YOU think of it before you decide to spend money on one. Shouldn't be any problem growing it around here.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to go with 'Jackmanii' before 'Sweet Autumn'. It puts on an impressive Purple Show, and blooms for a long time. A lot more Bang For The Buck in my opinion! But since I've never smelled the "wonderful scent" that some people describe, maybe that would make a difference--if I really thought it was "wonderful!" (Some of the hardy Geraniums have a scent that some people love--but I find disgusting, so that's a pretty subjective thing!) If it's something you want people to "notice" from the street, 'Jackmanii' will definitely give you the "curb appeal" you're looking for more than the 'Sweet Autumn'. I'd look up a bunch more pictures from people who have grown it, and see if you can find somewhere to sniff it before you make a final decision.

Skybird

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Skybird. I thought maybe it wasn't grown here since no one responded!
    I have someone who is going to send me some starts. She is starting them in her greenhouse till spring. So we will see. Like everything else I do in the garden if I don't like it I'll change it.
    thanks for taking the time to answer.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner