Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

pinching & disbudding - green digitS'

digit
15 years ago

Back a couple months ago, Stevation had a question about timing a flush of flowers. Since this was in reference to roses in his garden - I bit my tongue.

My success with outdoor roses is so poor! And, it is quadruple embarrassing since I worked for 7 years in a commercial rose greenhouse . . .

I find the outdoors just so challenging but maybe I just don't put enuf effort into the roses. There's a half dozen in my front yard that do fair to middling, that's it.

I can share some of the information I picked up in the greenhouse (if'n ya don't smirk while reading). Moreover, I can relate that knowledge to another flower, snapdragons. And, I can differentiate between disbudding and pinching. Apparently, there's some confusion of these terms. I consider both tasks very important in the flower gardens and disbud my dahlias religiously, especially.

Disbudding is the removal of the lateral flower buds leaving the central bud to bloom. This is essential for the production of long-stemmed roses. Some dahlia varieties would be surrounded by disbuds - it may even be difficult to see the flower thru the "forest" of disbuds.

A good time to remove the laterals is just after they have emerged from the foliage. The leaf remains to hide the tiny scar. Waiting later, leaves a larger scar or a "stump" on the stem - not so attractive and the central stem won't grow as long, nor that central flower so large. Trying to find the really, really small buds along the stem, however, and "poke" them out with the tip of a finger is a little too tedious for me. Besides dahlias, for one, have an irritating habit of regrowing these buds if done too early.

BTW - waiting until the central bud begins to show color is waaay too late to bother with disbudding, unless you are just trying to make a bouquet more attractive. Certainly with dahlias, the entire bouquet will die before there's any chance of the bud actually blooming. It may as well be taken off.

Pinching - The snapdragons come on with a rush if they aren't pinched. Pinching, simply is removing the growing tips so that the plant must start growing elsewhere on the stem. Lateral buds develop and flowering is delayed. As I see it, I had a successful pinching of the snaps this year.

When I set the plants out, I pinched one-quarter of them. Two weeks later, I pinched another quarter. And 2 weeks after that, I pinched another quarter. Or, at least, I tried to get a quarter each time 3/4 of the plants pinched over the course of 4 weeks. This is the first year I've pinched 3 times.

The pinching broke up the plants so that they bloomed at different times thru the season. We've now run entirely thru that season and they have started producing second cuttings from the same plants.

The reason I know that I lost track counting during those early weeks of pinching is because there wasn't a steady production of flowers. That wouldn't have happened anyway what with the changing weather thru the Spring and Summer. The plants weren't always growing at the same rate. Further, plants have a mind of their own . . . don't they?

Timing - well, timing can be approximated. In the rose greenhouse, the different varieties were expected to bloom from 6 to 8 weeks after a pinching. It seems to me that plants growing well outdoors also run about 6 to 8 weeks in bloom cycles - snaps, zinnias, dahlias, roses (maybe ;o).

Ever wonder where the rushes of roses come from for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, etc? Columbia, right? Well yeah, but the domestic greenhouses do a real good job of having tons of roses (6 to 8 weeks after a pinching) just in time for these flower holidays. It's how they make most of their profits.

Anyway, back to my snaps: since they are being cut and placed in buckets twice each week thru the Summer, it is fairly easy to make guesses on production without counting every stem. What my pinching accomplished was never having less than about 40% of the peak production. So, it wasn't very steady but I can assure you - without pinching I'd have been buried under the snaps and then they would have dwindled to a mere handful over weeks and weeks.

Steady or in a flush of blooms  itÂs up to you!

digitS'

Comments (3)

• stevation
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Steve! I was just thinking this week about using some snaps in my annual flowerbed next summer. This was a new idea for me, because when I lived in Sacratomato, the summer was so hot and the winter mild, that we only grew snaps as a winter flower. They'd go dormant in June, and we'd usually rip them out then.

I've noticed snapdragons flowering during the summer here in Utah, but I didn't realize I'd need to pinch them to get a good long flower season from them.

BTW, my rose hedge is getting a pretty good second wave of blooms right now, and it happens to be exactly six weeks from when I cut them all back pretty hard in late July. So, someday when my daughters have wedding receptions in my backyard, I should just trim the roses six weeks before, cutting off all the little buds? Assuming, of course, that they're not getting married too early in the season, since these roses don't reliably bloom till early-mid July.

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Steve, (those with differing given names can chime in just whenever ;o) pinching can begin very, very early in the season for roses.

Keep in mind that we were trying to maintain near-perfect growing conditions in the greenhouses. Of course, temperature was controled but I was there when the entire 1+ acre had supplemental lighting enstalled. Outdoors, I'm talking thru my hat . . .

Flower shoot development - I recall that a "rule of thumb" was that the first 5-leaflets on a petiole may indicated an adequate stem bud. The 2nd 5-leaflets was a sure thing and a bud would break from the stem and begin growing very quickly after pinching.

We had a name for those very early pinches - bird pinching. I suppose because even a sparrow could break off the tender tips of the shoots. It was very difficult work for a guy with large hands & fingers.

So, we were out there with plants just starting to grow from the canes. Pinch, pinch, pinch . . . In those ideal conditions, the plants would start blooming 6 to 8 weeks later. If we had left those shoots alone, they would have developed flower buds and bloomed in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Just for fun I'll tell ya that pinching twice is also a possibility. The plants get HUGE! Blooming is so significantly delayed and, especially when pinching is high up on the stems, many buds will break from the stems and grow to flowering. If you did this outdoors in our growing season, I suppose you'd only have one bloom period from your roses . . . but it would be massive!!

For a late June wedding - I guess I'd be inclined to go out to your rose hedge about the 1st week of May and trim it like privet with shears . . . I don't know but it may be that thinking like this is what gets me in trouble in the world of growing things . . . but I'm not sure if one would want to take the time to "float" over the hedge like a hovering sparrow and pinch, pinch, pinch with their very own digits.

It's wonderful that you are thinking far ahead - of course, your daughters won't marry until they have finished their schooling, established a career, advanced thru the ranks, and gained executive status. Let's see, your thoughts on 6 weeks after a late July cut-back would mean a garden ceremony right about NOW!! Good Gosh! Lock the doors, Unlease the dogs!!

I may have over-reacted there . . . father of an unmarried college kid, ya know . . .

Steve's digits

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

Slight tangent, but my roses all seem to have the dreaded black stem blight that hits really early in the season, and over on the rose forum someone mentioned just whack 'em off at the ground every spring, which I did.

They're lookin' pretty good now. And its a lot easier to know to just mow them off next spring, instead of trying to carefully prune the dead stuff out, and all that.