Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what temp is too cold for tomatoes?

Posted by jclepine CO_4/5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 2, 08 at 22:42

Hello all. This is only my second year with tomatoes and with any kind of produce up here. I forget when to start protecting my maters from the cold.

The forecast is only for 36 tonight and the rest of the week is 40-46. When should I start bringing them in? I keep them in pots so they can move in and out of the yard/house.

I think I remember 32 as being the "bring em inside" temp, but I'm not sure.

I'm growing two cherries, one is Sprite and the other is yellow pear.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what temp is too cold for tomatoes?

I'm of the "better safe than sorry" ilk, Jennifer, and if they're saying 36, I'd be inclined to throw an old sheet over them---just in case "they're" wrong. If it's not windy, it's easy to cover them, and then you won't have to lay awake and wonder about them overnite. Maybe I'm just a worrywart! But, yes, they should be ok down to "about" 32!

See you Saturday,
Skybird

o

After a while, you'll get to know what the forecast is and what reality is (speaking temperature wise here) at your place. Here, its 5 less almost all of the time. Except when it isn't. Personally, I get worried if the forecast is less than 40 and its windy. But what Skybird sez. A sheet should do it.

o

Thanks!

I used a sheet during the hail storms and they seemed just fine.

Am I silly bringing them inside? Will a sheet be enough?

I have my tomato sheet by the door all ready to go :)

I think unless it decides to snow, I'll just use the sheet. They are heavy!

I'm not sure just how accurate the weather forecast is. I use NOAA but it is usually about five degrees cooler here, David!! I can't tell if it is because I never bothered to set up more than one thermometer or if it is just that much cooler.

The high today is calling for a comfy 64!

Thanks a bunch!

o

At 32 you will definitely have damage to the plant. Usually balcked leaves and sometimes transparent patches on the tomatoes. By covering them you can gain 2-5 degrees underneath. Sheets, tarps, boxes, row covers. However when it gets below 38 degrees it really slows down the growing and ripening. My tomatoes are about 3 weeks behind normal this year due to cold nights. But I am hoping on 2 more weeks of possible growing. I don't like to pick until I have to as it could turn out nice?

o

Wooo-hoooo! 39 this morning!!! (say it ain't so.......)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here