Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizbest1

Increasing Moisture to Plant Under Pines

lizbest1
11 years ago

Any experienced advice would be appreciated: I have several very large pines in my front yard, we've put in a waterfall nearby and I'd like to plant astilbe and some other woodland type perenials nearby under those pines. The soil is clay with a very, VERY dry layer of decomposing (slowly) pine needles over it. I've planted several astilbes and tried driplines; they don't die but the soil never seems to retain moisture and they don't really grow. Can I add compost in a deep enough layer to make a difference without killing the pines? I know some trees don't like having additional material added after roots are established and don't want to sacrifice 100+ year old pines for flowers...help!

Comments (7)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

I'm headed out the door to work, so this will be brief...and probably incomplete!:o)

With this drought, the pines are going to suck up every bit of moisture you put down. They need it. However pines do tend to prefer it a bit on the dry side, so I think putting in a water lover like astilbe is going to be a loosing battle in the long run.

I think adding more than an inch or so of compost has the potential to affect the pines root systems.

I would look for dry shade loving plants.

Barb

• digit
    11 years ago

Posted by LizinElizabeth

Any experienced advice would be appreciated

I don't know if this will help or not but I've got quite a bit of experience growing vegetables under pine (ponderosa). I can say that they are a good deal easier to grow near than spruce.

Perhaps it is my soil - it is very rocky and the pines must easily send their roots straight down. I wish that could be said about the spruce. They invade everything! I've yet to come up with much of anything that will tolerate living under them, that includes ornamental groundcovers like ajuga. Tried twice to get that started and I don't think either planting lasted for 3 years! Columbines lasted the longest but didn't look like much in fairly short order.

Mulch? Where the veggies are, I have added mulch to the paths - mostly lawn clippings & pine needle compost. This has suppressed the chickweed that likes to grow there. The compost is incorporated into the growing beds each year.

By the way, this shady corner of the veggie garden has morning sun. Plants grow quite well there but it does take extra water.

. . . don't know whether that helps but there's my experience.

Steve

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds like I'll have to find a new home for the few astilbes I haven't killed under the pines and plant something more dry tolerant! Anyone know of anything that LIKES to grow under pines?

• digit
    11 years ago

I bet lamium and periwinkle would be fine. I've got periwinkle on the south side of a tree and it seems happier there than where the house provides shade until afternoon.

Hosta would give you more "color" but hydrangeas might do it better.

I can't think of anything "astilbe-like," maybe the lamium . . ? Would it be okay if you have a little patch of ground for flowering annuals? I still can't think of anything anything "astilbe-like," however. That would have been nice with the water . . .

Steve

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

I've been looking and it's tough to find dry shade lovers! Surfing the net for 'dry shade perennials in Colorado' I found suggestions of Artemisia, Coral Bells, Lady's Mantle, Lenten Rose, Lungwort, Periwinkle (Vinca major) and Sweet Woodruff.

Astilbe was mentioned, but with the caveat that they need more moisture. Think we both learned that, as I killed one this summer in nearly full shade.

Digit's picks were there, too.

Barb

• Lesuko
    11 years ago

I'm in the same predicament- the neighbors huge pine tree covers some of our yard and I wanted to plant underneath. Glad you posted because I didn't know pines would take most the water.

I bought some cyclamen bulbs to plant underneath. I don't know how much water bulbs need but the Denver Botanic Garden people seemed to think it would work. I was thinking of bleeding hearts, hoping rather. Could they work?

I also have something called a jack frost that's variegated and shade loving. It's not a hosta or coral bell. The leaves are quite pretty and add some light.

• mla2ofus
    11 years ago

I have been trying to make a shade garden under a mature fur tree and I'm having trouble also. The Hosta's are looking sad and also the fern. The Ladys Mantle, lamium, coral bells, and johnny jump ups are thriving. Of the astilbe's I planted the Peach Blossom seems to be doing better than the others.The Columbines seem to be struggling. There's a few plants I'm going to try next year, sword fern, bergenia,geranium macrorrhizum (ingwersen's variety) and Acanthus Mollis (bears britches). I've read they will all take dry shade once established.