Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Where the heck it all goes!

digit
16 years ago

While others were involved in socializing and information gathering . . . I've been reflecting on dirt. Well, not just dirt but organic matter in dirt.

The other day, as I have once in each of the last 3 years, I pulled the 4 x 4 wooden step away from the greenhouse door and buried some "stuff" that couldn't wait for a trip to the compost pile.

Our yard is entirely too small for a compost pile so all suitable material goes in buckets and then gets trucked once a week to one of the distant gardens for composting. At this time of year, however, the buckets fill with quite a few melon rinds. Now, few things are as unpleasant as melon rinds after a few hot days in a bucket outdoors. Soooo, I dig a hole in this totally unused ground.

This year I was convinced that the 2 buckets of "yuck" I buried last year would be evidenced by rich compost under the step. There hadn't been anything but dry soil last year but after 2 years of burying all this material - something was bound to be turned up with the shovel. Nope!! Nothing but dry dirt, one plant root (something thrown in with the rinds), a couple of sticks, and a chunk of board(?). The soil surface was concave but everything other than this small assortment of detritus was just . . . gone!

A few years ago, my compost pile in the gardens could only be reached with a wheelbarrow. There was no truck-load of cow manure hauled in or anything of that sort. However, I was making twice weekly trips at that time and bringing in nearly 2 wheelbarrow loads of stuff each time. Believe it or not, our growing enterprise actually generates that much "stuff" (mostly plant leaves and stems).

In the Fall of the year, all annual plants were pulled from a gardening area of about 3,000 square feet as well as our yard here at home - including the cutback material from the perennials.

I was willing to haul in a couple bags of chicken manure then capped with soil this HUGE pile which was a good 6 feet in all directions including high! So, you think I'd end up with LOTS of compost to spread on these 3,000 square feet? Nope!

I couldn't cover 25% of the area with any reasonable amount of compost 1 1/2 or 2 inches deep. My compost was never actually finished so it was very coarse but the decomposition had been sufficient to reduce this huge pile to just a few feet high of adequate humus.

I believe that guy who wrote a book essentially on growing FOR your compost pile, John Jeavons, recommended that you use 60% of your garden space for the sole purpose of growing plants to be used for composting. In other words, you are NOT harvesting a crop to be removed from the garden on 60% of your ground - those plants are grown to feed the compost pile. And, on a rotational basis, the compost feeds the soil in the other areas of the garden.

I honestly wish that I could do that . . . just can't justify using that much ground to grow something neither for the kitchen nor for sale. Maybe someday . . . I will.

Here's one approach I take which actually serves to by-pass the compost pile altogether. I doubt if it would work very well in areas with a warmer climate nor does it serve any real fertilizing need but for maintaining soil tilth and moisture retention in our short-season climate, it ain't bad.

I've pulled all the plants from one of the aster beds in the cutting garden and removed roughly the top 8 inches of soil:

Notice how much organic material is still in the ground from 2006:

Where did this organic matter come from? Well, here's what happened to those aster plants (and since I always cheat a little with other stuff - a few lettuce plants which were unused and have bolted). I’ll cover this material by returning the soil to the bed soon:

Now, to be entirely honest - aster plants, especially these thoroughly cut-over Matsumoto's, are very "skimpy" plants. But, with so much of what turns out to be zinnia plant material still in the ground from 2006, I think this will be sufficient for the next growing season. Keep in mind that I'm fully intending to use complete fertilizers in the 2008 garden.

Just a little of what I've been up to (& I'm always up to just a little ;o).

Steve's digits

Comments (10)

• michelle_co
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have to agree about compost volume. I just can't generate enough of it to make a dent in my garden.

BUT I do buy 12 tons of hay for my horses every year, and harvest whatever manure I can out of the corral for the garden. Where DOES all the unharvested manure go? I have to wonder. There should be literally tons of it.

I like the idea of green manure crops - but also have to wonder how it balances out. The plant takes materials from the soil to grow, and then gives back some of it when it dies. Does it give back more than it takes? How does a gardener ever catch up and bring things back to balance??

But truly I don't want balance. I want to get ahead - I want the soil to be rich in a way that technology and space age fertilizers can't achieve. Is it possible?

Cheers,
    Michelle

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

So, Digit, I'm confused? Where did all the compost stuff you buried under the step go? I guess that's you're subject line and you're wondering the same thing huh! It decomposed but didn't make any difference in the soil under the step? Maybe something ate it?

I seem to be too impatient to wait for it to turn into compost and end up buying some bags of it every spring.

I used my un-decomposed pile this year as the bottom layer of a few lasagna beds on top of wet newspaper. There were some old Halloween pumpkins that we composted and I could barely keep up with pulling the renegade seedlings in the lasagna bed. I let a few sprout and they've taken over. I do have seven huge pumpkins though, three of them pretty darn big, from the runaway seedlings.

I think I'll finally take my neighbor up on the offer to wheel barrow some of the horse manure from the horse that rents his barn across the street. I'll just throw it somewhere out of sight. Well, he only offered because I asked:)

I've still got to find a way to get that darn wasp nest out of the compost bin. Today I threw some worm eaten cabbage leaves in there by carefully opening the lid, chucking them in there and running as fast I could away from it. I could see the wasps swarming around angrily from afar.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

I think I read somewhere that the organic matter ends up at about 10% of its original volume after about a year (faster in hotter areas). I know that I piled grass clippings and leaves to a depth of about 3 feet last fall and it was only about 6 inches deep by this spring. I'm not sure how much is there now because I can't see through the pumpkin plants (all volunteer and so thick that nothing else was able to compete). If the grass and leaves ended up at 1/6 the volume over a couple of winter months, I can easily believe the volume will reduce much more given a bit more time.

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BPGreen, don't bother to look - those leaves and clippings are no longer under the pumpkins.

Under the step, Charlene, maybe the earth worms all grabbed a quick snack and went back to the lawn nearby. If it hadn't been for some plant's roots (looks like a snapdragon) one would have no idea that I'd buried 4 five gallon buckets of rotting stuff in that small patch of soil beginning 24 months ago.

Michelle, I'm a believer in the value of roots. It rather fits with the green manure idea, also. The roots are the last plant parts to rot away. While alive, they absorbed moisture but that continues as they decompose. What do they call that vascular tissue? Roots give the gardener a chance to "get ahead" of the entire process since many species just donÂt seem to entirely rot away over the course of a growing season unless our gardens had considerably more months of warmth.

I once used the posthole digger method to utilize those fast-rotting peelings and such from the kitchen. I like that approach conceptually but personally, do NOT like the posthole digger (AKA the most hated tool on the farm).

Owners of large hay burners or their neighbors across the road are to be envied. Have you ever notice that the horse even piles the manure around the edge of the corral simply because of its generous nature and as a further aid to the gardener?

d'S'

• jclepine
    16 years ago

I think the bugs ate it all, which is why I try to never hang out under a step.

I took out a huge area of raspberries which was not producing and clipped the waste into semi-small portions. I showed my boyfriend how tiny the pile of clippings was compared to how gigantic a space it took up as a shrub. He said, "Wow, that much? That is a lot of clippings." No! My point was that it was a teeny tiny pile of waste that took up much less space etc... Oh, well. It is even smaller now. All my piles of yard waste are shrinking. Since the composter is near full, I am thinking of using my clippings to cover delicate plants for winter. I guess I need to keep clipping stuff down for the piles keep getting smaller...
    A gardener's work is never finished, is it?!

• jaliranchr
    16 years ago

Didn't you realize there are little ceramic gnomes that wait until you go beddy-bye every night and sneak over to the compost pile and carry it off to their secret place.

Gee, I thought everyone knew that! ;)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    16 years ago

hehehe I knew that!

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Really! Bugs! Gnomes! Really!!

Heck's fire . . . the world sucks, we're all doomed! It's no use to even TRY to make compost anymore!!

When I'm not soooo depressed, I'll tell y'all about my green manure days but right now . . . . everything is sh**!!

digitS'

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I'm better this morning . . .

Years ago when I didn't feel that I needed to wring every ounce of production out of the gardens that I could - I would be raising Winter rye at this time of year as a green manure crop.

What I found was that if I could follow ALL Spring crops with rye and get the seed planted sometime before August 1st and then pull it after May 1st, the rye would be 3 or 4 feet tall. I could plant it anytime in August and it would still grow and survive the Winter. And, I could pull it in April but if I planted, say, mid-August and pulled it mid-April . . . well, I couldn't pull it, the rye plants would be too short.

Pulling it was also a part of this process because I was cultivating in the Spring the same as I did in the pictures above. Waist-high annual rye with copious roots made an impressive pile of organic matter in the bottom of the bed. I needed to remove a bit more soil than 8 inches to get it sufficiently buried.

The plants growing on that bed did wonderfully thru the Summer. When they were pulled and the bed excavated, there was always plenty of the roots and the lower stens of the rye plants still apparent at the bottom of the bed - multitudinous worms also!

Nothing more needed to be done with the bed the following Spring.

What I could do, was plant Spring crops followed by Winter rye in one-half of the garden each year. It would need to be precisely one-half, because the result would be continuing levels of organic matter somewhere close to the maximum in the soil throughout the garden. I realize that the rye would decompose quicker if it was left on surface and mixed with other compostables, turned, etc. However, the beds still required cultivation and I used to do a lot of that work with a shovel.

Currently, the shovel and I are very distant acquaintances. I just cannot move weight at the end of a stick to any extent. It is way too hard on my messed-up back. I now even bruise my thigh by leveraging the shovel handle against it to lift the soil.

I don't know if I'm recommending this program or not. Spading is a rather aggressive approach to cultivation. The bed in the picture is just over 100 square feet - notice I didn't finish by refilling it with soil. That will wait for another day.

In the case of that bed - a Summer's growth of zinnias has replaced the scheme of using a Winter's growth of rye. The zinnias grow above 6 feet each year, even after weeks and weeks of cutting. If I simply dig out those beds after the first frost and toss the zinnia plants into the ground, that soil will have plenty of organic matter next year. The deficits of organic matter will occur elsewhere in the gardens but not in those beds.

So, where does it all go? Well, a lot of it doesnt go in the the compost pile. A lot of it goes right back into the bed in which it was grown. And, if its the right stuff, it is still there 12 months latter, retaining moisture, improving soil tilth, and providing a home for beneficial soil organisms.

digitS'

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

I always knew those gnomes were evil!