Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

2010 Tomato Review of small to large types

elkwc
13 years ago

2010 Tomato Review for small to large types.

This year was my best year in 3 years. Still bordered on being in a drought all summer. Very dry now. Had some disease issues. Lost some plants either before they produced or before I tried enough to give a fair judgement. I won't include them in this review at this time. Then the grass hoppers moved in and got all of some varieties. Gukers Special Pink was one of those. Some plants produced well and many were low to average. Size varied greatly on the same plants depending on the weather conditions while maturing. Have had several very hot spells. Still very hot for this time of the season. The results I saw this year maybe vary some from those in an average to good year. Grew 80 varieties. A few have climbed into my list of favorites. Several will get another chance next year. I wrote a review for cherry types earlier. Only have a few left to taste so going to start my review while impressions are fresh. Will add more later as I taste the few left. I have tried to take pictures of many of the varieties this year and have posted them on my photobucket site. You can go there if you like to look at pictures. http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/elkwc36/ . I may add to this review later when I have more time. With some medical issues in the family I have been writing this for a week and decided to keep it short rather than comment on every variety. I have saved seeds for most I grew and would be happy to share. Also will be a few additional ones in the next 1-3 weeks if the frost holds off. Still 90 degree days now. But know that can change in a hurry.

New Favorites and a few old standbys

Pink

JD's Special Pink - Fruit varied from 3-9 ounces. Heart shaped. Taste wise in the top three I grew this year. And one of the top three Pinks I've ever grown. I was told when I was sent the seeds they might not be stable. I have saved seeds and will grow 4-6 plants next year. If stable will have seeds for anyone wanting some next year. Better than JD's Special C-Tex.

Big Cheef - Was the best of the Brandywine Crosses I grew this year. I saved a lot of seeds. A PL. Disease got it in early August. I picked around 20 fruit from it. They were nice 7-12 ounce beefsteak types with good flavor. The plant had over 50 fruit on it at one time. Will plant 4-6 next year.

Barlow Jap - PL type. A very nice tomato. It didn't set one fruit last year. Has been an average producer this year. Seems to have disease resistance and has produced and set since early July. Will pick some up till frost it looks like. May become one I grow most years.

Caspian Pink - Production lower than normal but taste good as always.

Marianna's Peace- Another nice one. Moderate production of 6-12 ounce beefsteak type fruits. With a nice flavor.

Purple Haze F3 - Was a very good 3-7 ounce pink/maroon beefsteak type. The F1 was a saladette type. I saved seeds and will see if I can stabilize this grow out.

Yellow/ Orange

1884 Yellow Pink Heart - A Darrel Merrell tomato. Very good. One of the best yellow tomatoes I've every ate. Some of the fruits have a pink heart when sliced. A few had a very small pink area on the bottom. Fruit was on the smaller size but that maybe due to the year and where I had the plant. Saved seeds and will grow 3-4 plants next year. Taste was a conservative 8.5. It was right there with JD's Special Pink.

Woodle Orange - A good producer with very good flavor. On the tart or tangy side. Similar to my Juane Flammee's. Fruit size around 3 times the size of Juane Flammee'. Will grow again next year. 2-3 plants.

KBX - For those that know me and my love of Kellogg's Breakfast they know it isn't easy for me to say it is better tasting than KB. I had 2 plants of KBX and got a total of 5 fruit from the 2 so far. May get a couple more if frost holds off. Not near as good of a producer as KB but great taste. Saved seeds and will grow again next year.

KB - Good flavor and starting to produce well. Later than usual. It will continue to be back till I find a replacement that tastes better and will produce as well.

Juane Flammee' - Another I grow every year. Has good disease resistance and a great reliable plant.

Apfelsin - A nice small type orange tomato. Produces well. With good flavor.

Golden Queen non -USDA - This is a selection another grower sent me a few years ago. By far the best GQ strain or selection I've grown. Production was on the low side. I had it in a container. Next year will grow in the ground.

Coastal Pride Orange - Det - Average to moderate production. Skin a little tougher and taste just ok.

Darks

I've found that many of the blacks and darks have a similar taste. I grew the best tasting black I've every tasted last year. I misplaced the name. I didn't save seeds as I thought I knew within 4 what it had to be. I grew 2 of the 4 this year and neither was the correct one. Only 1-2 were even close but none in it's class this year.

Mystery Black a pear shaped black came from the same grower as JD's Special Pink. The best tasting pear I've ever grown. Likewise will grow it again next year to see if it is stable.

Dana's Dusky Rose - A new favorite. And the 3rd member of my top 3 this year. Have saved a lot of seeds and will grow more next year. Very good flavor and has produced from late June to the present. Thanks to Camo for sending me the seeds of this tomato.

Cherokee Purple - I grew plants from 2 sources this year. One from a local nursery and the other from seeds I saved that Craig was the original source of. Both good. But some difference in taste and fruit size. The one from the nursery had the best taste I felt. Most of the fruit from it had a smoky flavor with a salty hint to it. The fruits were mainly 4-8 ounces. The one from Craig had very good flavor and varied from 8-12 ounces. And production was better on it. I just pulled the one from the local nursery tonight with blight issues. The other one still looks great.

Indian Stripe - Another nice tomato. Fruit size more in the range of the CP from the nursery. Smaller than my CP's from Craig. Didn't set fruit till late. Which I've seen before. A very good tomato but different than CP for sure in my garden.

1884 Purple - The largest I grew this year. Over 20 ounces. Low production. Good taste.

Bear Creek, Black Tomato, Black Krim, Purple Brandy, Carbon, Black from Tula are all similar here in my garden. Size and shape varies. Taste is above average and production is average or better on all. I will grow 2-3 from this group next year.

Red

Royal Hillbilly - Another great one from Darrell Merrill. Size varied greatly. From 4-14 ounces. A beefsteak type. Very good taste and above average production. Don't set well in the heat. Saved a lot of seeds and will grow 2-4 next year. In my top five now.

Malinowski - Most fruit were the size of a large hen egg. A few in the 3 ounce range. Good flavor. Above average to heavy production. Stood up to the elements well.

Gregoris Altai - Seeds from an online vendor and not the correct type.

All around types

Baker Family Heirloom - A large plant that seems to have some disease resistance. Didn't set well early here. Loading up now. Very good flavor. Most of the fruit have been 3-ounces. Saved seeds. Will grow 2-4 next year and try to make selections for plants that set fruit a little earlier.

Glick's 18 Mennonite - Steady producer again. Shows disease resistance. Usually has above average to very high fruit set. Good flavor. Size this year from 4- 8 ounces. One I grow every year. It tends to be more of a yellowish red unless really ripe.

Atkinson - Another very similar to Glicks 18. Had very good flavor and a good producer. Size 3-8 ounces.

Mr Bruno - Another steady type. One that I might replace with Atkinson next year.

Vintage Wine Striped - PL - A bicolor. Wasn't sure where to put it. Flavor just average. But good disease resistance and one that I grow most years because I can depend on it too produce. Usually early and all season. 3-8 ounces. Not one to grow for flavor. But still better than a grocery store tomato. Can be used any way you desire.

Amish Canner - I grew it in a container and feel it will do better in ground. A nice all around type. Has good flavor and average production. 3-8 ounces. Will grow 2 plants next year.

Campbell's 1327 - Not a heavy producer like Heinz 1439. But good flavor. Size from 4-13 ounces. Saved seeds and will try again. A medium sized plant.

Arkansas Traveler - Below average production. Nice taste. Most fruits were small. It is a nice tomato but I have others in it's class that do better here. May try again in the future.

Hybrids

Goliath - Started a little later than usual this year but looks like it will produce till frost. Has usually been very dependable for me.

Old Time Tasty - Was the first one I picked and did well overall. Fair taste. A good BLT type early in the season.

Pink Girl - Good Flavor and above average production

Bella Rossa - I planted it late. Will give it another try next year. Set heavy although late.

Brandymaster Pink - Didn't set any during the heat but has had a fair fruit set in August and Sept. Taste if good but not worth growing with the low production. Brandy Boy is better tasting and more productive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

Comments (7)

• digit
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for this, Jay!

I will spend considerable time looking thru this review and searching for more fun!

Any ideas on splitting and tender skin? I peel a tomato only with reluctance, especially, if it is a small fruited variety. And splitting, that can be a real problem in my garden.

Steve

• kareng_grow
    13 years ago

Thank You Jay! I'm printing your post off and sticking it in my gardening journal for the Winter perusing...I would like to add that my favorite cherry tomato hybrid has been the Black Pearl. Not only do the tomatoes have a wonderfully rich, complex flavor but the bushes are bountiful producers. They produce several clusters of fruit on a bush with 10-12 fruit per cluster.

• elkwc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steve,
    In my opinion thin skinned tomatoes especially cherries tend to split worse. I understand the concern and problem. Cutting back on watering helps and picking before fully ripe. If I don't overwater I don't have a lot of trouble with the larger varieties usually.

I would like to send you some seeds of the Dana's Dusky Rose if you would grow them. I will copy a comment from an OK grower I shared seeds with. "Dana's Dusky Rose is another one I grew from seed you sent me that performed very, very well. It was pretty early and also continued to set fruit throughout the hot weather and we thought it was very tasty. " For me I picked the first fruit in 65-70 days and it has produced all summer. It is earlier for me than some you grow so feel it might do well for you. Not a large type but a slicer, productive and produced all summer. And a very good flavor. Also will send you anything else you might like. Jay

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Jay, if you're a fan of Kelloggs Breakfast, have you tried Aunt Gertie's Gold? That one is, year in year out, the only tomato that has a consistent knock off-the-socks difference in flavor - significantly 'tarter' than anything else. I was a big Kelloggs B. fan and then I'd heard about this one, winning tasting contests and such, tried it, and now prefer it.

Big PL plant, most of the fruit are deformed, only ripens in mid-September if I'm lucky, usually have to ripen indoors - such a recommendation. But thats here in my 'tomato challenged' zone, and in spite of all the issues, I always have at least half a dozen plants. Makes one heckuva pizza sauce, and right now I've a gallon of bright yellow'orange tomato salad in the kitchen that we're gnawing away on.

Anyway if you, or anyone else on the forum would like to try this next season, say so and I'll save some fresh seed.

• elkwc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

David,
    I tried it once. Great big plant that never set one fruit all summer. Guess maybe I should try it again. And it might be the source I used for my last seeds. I've found that the source of seeds can make a difference. Just like in my Cherokee Purple comparisons this summer. I would be interested in a few seeds. I will send you an email. I'll be happy to send a few seeds of anything I have in return. Jay

• digit
    13 years ago

Thank you, Jay.

Cherry tomatoes, I have good luck with. Plums, since I don't grow paste-types are limited but there are a few.

I call anything above one-half pound, a "beefsteak." Size standards are fairly low but, now and then, I've got one that will come close to 2 pounds!

Decay from split fruit is real frustrating. And, I rejoice in vine-ripe tomatoes! Yes, I will pick them green to ripen indoors but ripe in the garden is cause for celebration!

So, I am always looking for, especially, larger-fruited varieties, that have a chance of coming off the vines undamaged and ripe!

Steve

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

In mid-july, I looked at my row of AGGold - beautiful plants 4 foot high, I couldn't find a fruit. In late august, they started to show up, and now they're covered.

I've concluded that to really appreciate the wonderful variety of flavor, tomatoes has to ripen within certain temperature parameters - below 95 day time and above 55 at night. Here, that means 3 weeks in July. So to do this, I have to have flowers on the plants when I set them out in June.

Anyway...

Thessaloniki came through once again with lots of perfectly shaped, tasty tomatoes.

Cour de Boef - Some viral disease (I think) with scrawny plants, pulled the worst looking, the rest produced a good crop of decent tomatoes. This one, I may pop for new seed because thats 3 years in a row that they haven't looked good. The fruit looks suspiciously like German Red Strawberry.

Vorlon - stabilized cross between Cherokee Purple and Prudens Purple - I grow this for the market, and this was my first to ripen. It's a beautiful fruit and has less distorted fruit than the other dark tomatoes I've tried. Great harvest.

Pink Climber - spotted fungus leaf disease and never really took off.

Off the Vine Brandywine. This is one tomato that I continue to grow because, if the weather is auspicious and the 'mater Gods are smiling, it is the best tomato I've ever tasted. But most years, including this one, it's just another tomato. Had to pull most the plants because of July leaf wilt crud.

Rainy's Maltese - huge plants, good fruit, early producer, and I'll grow it again.

Sun Gold - I was smart and only put in two plants, which are now monsters. Pick a lunch sack of tomatoes every day if I wanted to.

Oh, and before I forget, there was some discussion here some time back on lack of Phosphorous being an issue with leaf turn, red veined leaves. So I filled a 3 gallon sprayer and filled it with high P soluble fertilizer (bloom booster) and gave everything a spray. It seemed* to work, the plants looked far better, the leaves straightened out.

*note scientific lingo.