Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nunchucks

Breaking ground! Where can you get this?

nunchucks
13 years ago

So I've finally started officially gardening in CO! Our trees arrived today and my husband and I started digging holes for the trees and we had to use a pick! Oh my ganache! the clay is terrible! I explained to him about a piece of tool we used at home growing up which was basically a big hoe. He showed me a hoe in the store and it was puny compared to this thing. Think of it as a shovel perpendicular to the handle or a big hoe. Click on the link below to see image. We call it "cangkul" in the malay language. I see it used all over South East Asia. So is anyone familiar with this extremely archaic useful tool? If so where can I find it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

Sugaralice,
    I don't know how to help you find that tool, but I feel for you digging your first big hole here! A jackhammer might be more appropriate in our clay. Just kidding, but only a little! I know it's after the fact, but I've found it's easier to wet the ground one day and dig it the next. I'm not talking about complete saturation, but getting that first 12 inches of soil moist does help. I also dig my tree holes before the tree arrives so I know what I'm dealing with. I've dug a few holes where the soil was so rocky that I've had to add soil to have enough to plant the tree. It's not a good thing to put in a tree and then have to scramble to find enough dirt to cover the exposed roots.
    I would check with your favorite garden center and ask if they know where you can find that hoe. Or Sears, maybe?
    Good luck with the trees!
    Barb

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

I'll second the idea of wetting the soil and then trying to dig the hole - think about a process that takes several days, 20 minutes at a go, over the space of several days, not all at once.

I have a lot of rocks, and I've had to dig a lot of holes over the years for trees, fence posts, and so on. I don't know what it is called, but I have a 6 foot long, hardened steel bar with a point on one end and the other, flattened out so it's about 3" wide. The weight alone breaks rocks, and it makes a great lever. I found mine at Ace hardware, it cost around $50.

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

I have a digging bar like David. I couldn't have planted my fruit trees without it. There's a few variations, but the one I have is called a San Angelo Bar and we got it at Home Depot. They were on the lumber side of the store.

I'll always remember the name as I used to live in San Angelo Texas, and with the caliche ground we had there, we could have really used that bar back then...

• digit
    13 years ago

Alice, there are various types known as "grubbing hoes."

I've had one for about 40 years. Really, it has been too much for me for about the last 20 . . !

But, there are lighter-weight models.

Steve

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I'm using a {{gwi:1224516}} outside right now (well, not now now, but now) to break compacted clay, but a {{gwi:1224517}} or a Mcleod are good too, depending upon your needs. City of Aurora has taken to the

Dan

• nunchucks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! We felt like goldilocks out there testing out all kinds of things and needless to say I've been too pooped out at the end of the day to type let alone moving my fingers around the thumb pad was a chore! We are lucky we didn't have to contend with rocks other than the stray contractor leftover debris. Both my husband and I found that just a little moistness worked best. Wet was horrific because it kept on sticking to the pick and dry basically just made the pick bounce back! My sister also confirmed that the "Big Hoe" doesn't exist in North America and agrees it is extremely useful. I went to a couple of nurseries and the people I asked looked at me like I was speaking another language! ( which for a sec made me think that) Anyways we averaged out about a tree a day and it was mostly clearing the site from pebbles, and taking down the 3' dirt "mounds" the crooks I mean landscaper planted the old trees (died of course). We gave up trying to separate the pebbles and mulch which blew off the sides of the "mounds". Now the challenge is to keep the trees alive over winter.

• dsieber
    13 years ago

Yeah a breaking bar is the way to go. The soak approach is also very useful. Don't fill up the whole hole just 4-5" is enough. Less water means you should have wet mud vs a slurry. I get rid of that and replace with some unammended top soil.

• harveymushman
    13 years ago

SugarAlice,

The tool you are looking for, the "cangkul" is called an "Azada". (also called a "heavy duty digging hoe").

You can purchase one here: http://www.easydigging.com/Garden_Tool/Italian_Grape_Hoe.html

(Apparently on that site they are called "Italian Grape Hoe"lol)

Another source is from the UK: http://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/trenching-hoe-head-only-p2

Good luck, I hope that helps.

Mengalami hari yang indah

HM

• nunchucks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Terima Kasih HM! I am placing me an order! I did wonder that someone must know about this here and it must exist in other continents. We ended up using a mattock which is harder on our backs but could likely drive a few inches deeper than the Italian Grape Hoe and faster to dig deep holes. Nonetheless, the Azada will be much much easier to use to cultivate a few inches of soil or shallow holes. I hope someone else here will give one a try. Now the challenge for us is to try keep the trees alive until they get established!

• pumpkin2010
    13 years ago

We dug two holes (well one and a half, since we tore out a big dead tree) last fall for new trees, and I know EXACTLY what you mean. It took us an entire week of evenings to get those stupid things dug. The football sized rocks we kept hitting didn't help (apparently intentionally placed under our lawn by the builder??) and neither did forgetting to turn off the sprinklers one morning. Oh my.

We used a combination of a shovel, an edger, and a pitchfork, and we're scarred for life from digging any more holes in this yard!

Sadly, one of the trees did die partially and the nursery replaced it just a few weeks ago.

Thanks for sharing - I now have some new tool info under my belt just in case we have to do any more digging =/

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I'm putting in ~450 sf of path this summer (taking a break from it now) and making a 320sf perennial bed in the treelawn.

I'm pretty sure if we put a tree in the backyard and want to do a fall planting, I'm digging the hole in spring first. Much easier digging in spring than fall. Haven't done any work on this parcel in fall before, and now I know why...

Dan