Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justine102

Limber Pine seedlings

justine102
12 years ago

I've been trying to repopulate my property with native Limber pines. The local Conservation group sells seedlings cheap in the spring, but for the last 2 years has had a difficult time obtaining Limber Pines. Because the loss for young seedlings is about 50%, their price of $3. is pretty good, even for 2" high trees. Does anyone know where I can obtain seedlings? Limber pines are getting close to the endangered list (like the Whitebarks) and it seems that some forest service growing grounds might sell to homeowners. This year I am going to try adding mycorrhizae fungus upon planting and hope for better success rate.

Comments (4)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago

Justine,

I sent you an email. CSU has a seedling tree program. If Wyoming doesn't maybe you could use CSU's.

I've had great success with Rocky Mountain Juniper and have planted about 50. I tried 30 pinons this spring and killed them all. I'm thinking of trying again.

Good luck!

Barb

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

If your soil conservancy is like the Colo soil conservancy, they'll sell polypropylene weed barrier, biodegradable plant protectors, and slow-release fertilizer - as well as offer advice in preparing the soil.

They know what they are doing. All of a sudden, the cost per tree gets up there around $10 - but the survival and growth is a whole lot better.

• justine102
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live near Cody. 2 years ago the CCC gave me only 1/2 my limber pine order. This year they had none so I reluctantly tried Pinyon. I'm at 7,000' and a bit high for them. I don't think they're doing so well. Where I'm planting there is no water so I haul water up every 2 weeks for the new 2" high seedlings. The CCC at my request now sells those plastic deer protectors, but what I found is that since they are open webbing they don't provide enough shade. Someone gave me some hard opaque plastic ones and they are better. This is because they provide some shade. If you watch trees, the like to grow up in the shade of nurse trees. I have no shade in the clearing where I am planting as I lost those trees to beetles.

I think these seedlings might be too small for fertilizer, but the 2nd year ones would be fine. I also have been planting with them slow release water crystals . That helps, but I think what helps the best are the opaque plastic covers. I've only found them through my friend in CA.

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Our SC sells (or maybe 'sold') 5 foot high solid, translucent 4" dia tubes as critter protectors, and they worked wonders - the trees were already 3-5 years old when they popped out the top. I'm sure they're available somewhere.

Colorado also seems to sell limber pine. I'd bet you could get some from someone here, if they're available.

Linked is the .pdf for the Colorado Soil Conservation tree guide -

As for Junipers, they grow well here at 7,000-7600ish feet, but we're not the same latitude.

The fertilizer pellets the service sells are slow release, supposed to last 3 years.

Don't give up! It takes a lot of faith and effort at the beginning - our first attempt of 100 Scots pine trees were pulled up - that same night - by deer.

But now, 15 years later, we have 30 foot high trees with a lot of shade and it was well worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to colo tree guide