Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Almost Shot Myself in my GW Foot, again

digit
11 years ago

Amidst these plans for a Denver area swap meet . . .

I went over to the test forum to see if I could put a little widget in a post. There were actually 2 widgets - one for a "word of the day" & the other was a "spelling bee." . . . I know, nobody cares . . .

Anyway, I tried the code string for both and GW says, "Illegal Code!!!" So, I tried the code for just 1 . . . GW sent me to its front page!

The last time this happened was years ago when GW sent me to Disneyland - yes, it did! I couldn't log on after that. Fortunately, it was near my birthday and during those days GW sent out birthday wishes. When I got one in my email box, I asked if it meant that I could log back on GW . . . I was told yes, "But Stay on Topic!"

Am I on topic now??? Oh My Gosh!

Steve's digits . . .

Comments (3)

• digit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since the topic in the forum claims I have a picture here - - this is my dahlia garden a couple weeks ago:

Many, many dahlia flowers have come out of this garden but it came back a little stronger each week. That is, it came back thru 2 light September frosts then, 4 hard frosts put a stop to it! I will be digging the bulbs real soon.

Steve
    the picture from the 1st post:

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

Spectacular, digit! It's nice to see your success.

My dahlias did ok, though nothing like yours! I lost a good month of veggie growing in this heat and drought, maters sucked, peppers did ok.

Kinda feels good to be lifting tubers, planting bulbs and putting down mulch. Time to put it to bed. Our winter hay is tucked in the barn, the propane tank is filled, think I'm about ready for an El Nino winter. We could sure use the moisture!

Digit, don't get banned, we need you here!

• digit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, ma'am. I will try not to get too far off topic.

Enjoyed watching the Siberian Tiger Nature program!

The dahlias have all been cut to the ground. There are veggie beds dug out that can take the stems & leaves but, right now, that dahlia debris can stay in place. It will protect the roots if the Weather Service is wrong about frost. Except that 1 dahlia bed that was left exposed! If the WS changes its story - I'd better get out there and either dig those roots or cover them with a tarp!

It would be good if the roots don't have to go down to the basement just yet. The weather is warming and there is finally some rain in our forecast. The basement room where the roots will spend the winter isn't very cool yet and it is a long way until spring.

I have taken up the celery root but only because I am not sure how much cold it can take. The carrots are still out there along side the parsnips. But, I trust those things in the cold a lot more than the dahlias.

I bet that dahlias can be a little tricky at higher elevations where the temperature swings are more extreme.

Steve