Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

rain possible by weekend

digit
11 years ago

. . . It is time for me to begin burying frost-killed plants.

"Turning over" the season's crop wastes in my garden takes a little more energy than plowing thru with a 535 horsepower New Holland pulling an 8 bottom plow . . . come to think of it, I guess it doesn't. . . even if I completely remove the soil from the beds and then, recover.

The weather here is sunny and very dry yet. It has been over a week since I threw any water on the ground in the Little Veggie garden so I should be okay out there with a #2 round-point shovel. (If'n I take it slow. ;o)

Steve

Comments (7)

• digit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since the topic list considers the little guy in the straw hat as a "picture," I will include a couple of snapshots.

Here is a bed, dug out and loaded with frost-killed bush beans, cucumber vines, and dahlias. I managed to get it covered before running out of steam . . .

And, here is 1 of the 4 orache "mother plants." It is over 6' and 2 of the others are taller. The 3rd was broken when I walked into it - obviously, it wasn't quite in an "out of the way" location, as I had intended. Really, just 1 plant drops enuf seeds to supply me with all the spring orache that I could possibly want:

And, here I am on the way home from the garden .

. . after running that #2 shovel for several hours:

Steve

• Blossom_Designer
    11 years ago

Wow! You sure dress up to work in the garden! :-)

• digit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Record number of days without rain around here:

Moscow/Pullman went 83 days without rain, down in the middle of the Palouse Hills. The moisture deficit must be fairly extreme for planting winter wheat but we can hope that there is good snow amounts again for spring sowing.

Moses Lake, which sounds wet but has desert or semi-desert on all sides also went 83 days without rain. This was a record for both locations and I can assure you that Moses Lake, especially, knows dry conditions. There is a good deal of irrigation in that farming area.

The weekend only brought us .06" of rain but the heavens added about 1/3rd of an inch, last night. There is more rain forecast but we have gotta get thru some high winds first. I think that what rain we have had was immediately pulled into some very thirsty soil. It has been very, very dry here.

Below is the video I put together last night while the rain was falling nicely. No, I didn't go anywhere to get the pictures. It was just me (Mister McGregor ;o) & Eddie Rabbitt enjoying the rain, wet streets and lights. (Turn your speakers on please :o).

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Love a Rainy Night!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

LOVE your pics, Digit! The lightening one should win a prize somewhere!

We're still way below normal in precip down here too, and nothing really on the horizon for right now. I eked out a little over a tenth of an inch a few days ago. Will take anything I can get! Since I don't have to get out to go to work anymore, I guess I'd even be happy if we got TOTALLY dumped on with snow this winter! Long as the power stays on!

Batten dow the hatches--and hope they're right about the precip they're predicting for you for the end of the week.

Thinking wet thoughts your way,
    Skybird

• mla2ofus
    11 years ago

Finally getting enough rain in SE Idaho to measure. :)

• digit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll tell you what, someone may have spit in the rain gauge to get the .06" of weekend rain, Mla2ofus. The soil sure better be holding onto what fell yesterday! We have had wind gusts to 46mph all day.

I've got a couple days to get dahlia roots out of the ground before there's a 30% chance of rain again. Snow may be falling above 2,600 feet but that is a bit above my elevation these days.

Temperatures are supposed to be below normal with precipitation above normal next week, according to the Weather Service. I'm losing interest . . . once those dahlias are home.

Snow soon? Well, okay. The concerns will just be getting somewhere on the roads and shoveling out the paths & driveway.

Steve

• digit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The linked video was shown on the Weather Channel this morning.

I used to live several miles down the road at a lower elevation and without the lake view . . .

It was quite a storm over the lake! Brief, I'm sure . . . but quite a storm!

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Lake Pend Oreille rainstorm