Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

RMG Seed Exchange?

highalttransplant
16 years ago

There is a seed exchange on Garden Web, but I thought it would be more fun to swap seeds with people you kind of know already.

Anyone interested?

Well, here is a list of what I have, that I am not already planning to use next year. Keep in mind that some are full unopened commercial packs (CP), some are partial packs (PP), some are things I received from trades (T), and a couple are things that I harvested myself (F = fresh).

HAVE:

Annuals:

Coreopsis 'Mahogany Midget' PP

Cosmos 'Bright Lights' PP, T

Cosmos 'Dwarf Ladybird Mix' F

African Daisies PP

Sunflowers 'Dwarf Border Mix', 'Earth Walker', 'Claret F1 Hybrid' CP, PP

Gomphrea 'Strawberry Fields' T

Nasturtium 'Jewel' mixed colors PP

Helichrysum bracteatum (Strawflower) T

Pennisetum glaucum (Purple Majesty Millet) T

Perennials:

Aquilegia chrysantha T

Echinacea 'Ruby Giant' T

Echinacea 'Sunrise' F (this may not come true from seed)

Coreopsis - unknown variety T

Gaillardia 'Burgandy' PP

Kniphofia uvaria 'Tritoma Mix' PP

Leucanthemum superbum (Shasta Daisy) 'Alaska' T

Lychnis, Rose Campion T

Rudbeckia - unknown, reddish center, brown eye T

Vegetables:

Asparagus officinales T

Popcorn 'Strawberry' T

WANT:

Zinnia 'Profusion Apricot'

Tomatoes (sauce type) such as Opalka, or San Marzano

Peppers: Paprika peppers, or mild chile peppers, or Italian roasting type ... nothing hot

Cucumbers: something good for dill pickles or slicing bush type preferred

Any type of annual foliage plant that would be good for containers, or flowering annual in soft colors like apricot or pale yellow, or burgandy. You guessed it ... no pinks, blues, or purples, LOL.

If you are interested in anything I have listed, or have something you think I may want (please feel free to tempt me), either post it here, or email me through my member page. All I ask is that you include enough postage on the envelope to cover the cost of mailing it to you.

Just thought this would be a fun way to get rid of seeds you aren't using, and maybe try something new that you wouldn't otherwise.

Bonnie

Comments (50)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One more thing. I just collected a TON of marigold seeds today. Their called 'Queen Sophia'. It's and orange & red variety. I also have a yellow one, that I will try and harvest too.

- Bonnie

• Azura
    16 years ago

I would love to do a seed exchange. I have a lot of flower seeds, both annual and perennial, but I do not have many veggie seeds. I will have a complete list in a month or so because a lot of my seeds are from last year so Im not sure about viability and I havent purchased spring seeds yet. I will keep an eye out and try to get a list posted when I have all my seeds accounted for.

• stevation
    16 years ago

Bonnie, are the yellow marigolds also those small French-style ones? I could use some if they are.

Here are some things I could offer:

Consolida ajacis (Larkspur - blue-purple, probably the Rocket variety)
    Iberis sempervirens (Candytuft)
    Lavandula angustifolia (Lavender) - I believe it's 'Hidcote'
    Iceland poppy mix
    Digitalis purpurea (common Foxglove)
    Salvia nemorosa 'East Friesland'
    Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower -- these are likely mongrels, since I've grown 'Magnus', 'White Swan', and some other variety near each other)
    Gaillardia grandiflora (Indian Blanket Flower)
    Lavatera tauricensis - a perennial Lavatera that I really like, with pink Hibiscus-like or Mallow-like flowers. It flowers for a very long season. I have never seen this anywhere but my garden; I got the seeds from T&M maybe 10 years ago. I have read online that it may be synonymous with Lavatera thuringiaca, but it comes from a distinct population in the Crimean mountains and has a different leaf shape than a typical thuringiaca. Here's a photo:
    {{gwi:236050}}

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Azura, most of my commercially packaged seeds are 2007, but the trades are mostly things harvested in 2006. If it is something I'm interested in, I don't mind if the seed is from last year. I'll just sow heavily to make up for the decreased germination rate.

Steve, I don't think these Marigolds are French. They are called 'Safari Primrose' and are about 10" tall. I bought the seeds at Lowe's. I'm still waiting for the seeds to ripen, and thought I missed my chance, since the last two nights have been below freezing. Fortunately, the floating row cover was enough to buy them some more time. It didn't save the pepper plants or basil, but at least I harvested all of the peppers Saturday, and strung them up in the garage. They are still completely green though. Will they ripen in the garage?

Your list is a little too purple for me, Steve, LOL! But I am sure someone will be along to snatch up those pretty Lavateras.

Bonnie

• stevation
    16 years ago

Bonnie,

Funny observation -- I've started to notice that most of the flowers I like (and buy) are purple and about 3 feet tall! I'm trying to diversify in height and color these days. Yellow is another color I probably overdo.

But I am going to completely redo a long, narrow flowerbed that surrounds two sides of my back lawn. I'm going to make it mostly an annual bed, and I could use some of those Safari Primrose marigolds if we can work out something to trade!

BTW, I googled it, and it is a French marigold. I like those small marigold plants -- I just wanted to be sure it wasn't the real tall kind with ball-shaped heads.

• spyfferoni
    16 years ago

I have a lot of open-pollinated/heirloom tomato seeds to offer that I saved myself and a few hybrids from purchased seed. I may have some pepper seeds to. Many of them have performed well for me, and some of them aren't widely available commercially yet. I would also be open to a SASE offer for those who don't have anything to trade.

I definitely need some more flowers to round out my garden/yard!

I don't do anything special like bag the blossoms to prevent
    crossing with other tomatoes, but so far I haven't had any mix-ups. Tomatoes are self-pollinating, but sometimes a bee or other insect can come along and mix things up. (Just to let everyone know that I can't guarantee purity.)

I'll get a list up by the weekend hopefully.

Stevation, I could probably trade actual plants with you in the Spring as I always have extra.

Tyffanie

• Azura
    16 years ago

Stevation-
    Your lavatera is absolutely gorgeous! I would love to do a trade with you and I hope you will be tempted by something I have.
    Bonnie-
    The safari marigolds also look gorgeous and if you have enough to share they would be the perfect addition to a red-orange-yellow bed I am planning for next year. I snatched some seeds from a similar marigold at a park about a month ago but their color pattern was not as intense as the photos Ive googled of Safari.
    I'm being very naughty even peaking at the forum today, I have two midterms and a book review due this week so shhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone you saw this post!
    I will get my seed box in front of me and post my list next week, I promise.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Steve, I guess the name 'Safari Primrose' was throwing me off. I was thinking African, not French, LOL! I hope that I am able to collect the seeds before a hard freeze does them in. If not, I didn't sow the whole package, so maybe I can send you some of what is left.

Tyfannie, I am looking forward to your list, since I am looking for tomatoes and peppers. Let me know if there is anything on my list that interests you.

Azura, good luck on those exams, and I am looking forward to your list too!

Bonnie

• stevation
    16 years ago

Bonnie, my neighbor has some marigolds that look a lot like the Safari ones I googled. She had a few seed heads that looked completely dry and brown, so I pulled the seeds out and took them home. But how can I tell if they're really good? The seeds look and feel awfully flimsy, so I'm not sure there's a real "germ" inside of them. I suppose I could test a few and see if they sprout in a moist paper towel inside a ziploc bag. Is there any secret to knowing when these seeds are really ripe?

Also, these plants were mingled with other marigolds that aren't the kind I'd want, so I'm wondering if they easily hybridize with other marigold varieties and might not produce what I'm looking for.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Steve, here is a link that might be helpful, basically if you have to tug to get them out of the seedhead they are probably not ready. One other word of caution. You may want to leave them on a plate or something, outside in the sun for a little while, otherwise you may find tiny little bugs crawling out of the seeds in your home.

Not sure about the cross pollination.

Here is a link that might be useful: When are seeds ready to harvest

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just wanted to add to my list of freshly harvested seeds, Agastache 'Apache Sunset'. These were kind of fun to harvest. When the tubular part of the flower (forgive my lack of proper botanical terminology) falls off, there is a little upward facing cup left on the stem. All I had to do was bend the stems over a bit, and shake them with a plastic container underneath, and all the ripe seeds just fell right out.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another side to the gardening addiction ... harvesting seeds! Adding Penstemon pinifolius 'Compactum', to my list of freshly collected seeds. It's a dwarf red penstemon.

I was getting kind of sad to see summer end, but now with so many plants going to seed, there's still fun to be had out there!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Penstemon pinifolius 'Compactum'

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

Here's my list. And Bonnie, you're right, it is addicting collecting seeds. I have to go out and get more Morning Glory seeds. Not 'cause I need them, but because it's so fun to squeeze those little pods and have those beautiful, black seeds drop into my hands!

It's also fun to go through your lists and look up the plants I don't recognize. But I don't have any more flower bed space until we get rid of more lawn, so it seems a bit greedy to ask for any seeds. But maybe some of those Lavatera from Steve, they are pretty!

Flowers:

Red Gerbera Daisy collected

Cosmos "Cosmic Orange" collected & open packet

Marigold collected
    looks like these: http://www.bodger.com/seed/7034323.jpg

Morning glory (purple with pink bars) collected

Morning glory "Crimson Rambler" collected

Cosmos "Single Sensation Mixed Colors" unopened packet 2006

Vegetables:

"Black" Tomato collected

Carrots "Touchon" open packet

Melon "French Orange" open packet

Lettuce "Anuenue" (organic) open packet

Acorn squash "Table Queen" open packet

Cucumber "Diva" unopened packet

Sweet corn "Painted Mountain Organic" open packet

Peas "Sugar Sprint" open packet

Garden beans "Oregon 54" open packet

Turnip "Purple top white globe" (organic) open packet

Potato "Zolushka Hybrid" open packet

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, since no one has requested anything my list so far, I harvested a couple more things to tempt you!

Coreopsis grandiflora 'Sunburst' and Dianthus knappii

Alice, "if you grow them, the space will come" LOL! I don't really have any bed space left either, but I just keep buying more containers until I can dig up some more sod. BTW, how tall do those Gerbera daisies get?

Bonnie

• Azura
    16 years ago

I had no idea just how many seeds I have. Wow, its an addiction! I am working on my list and I will post it soon.
    Ive been hoarding seeds for 2 years now and its time to share the wealth.
    Bonnie- I dont have a lot of tomato or pepper seeds but I will keep an eye out for some. I would love some of your Penstemon pinifolius 'Compactum'.
    Does anyone else have anything specific they are looking for?

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

Bonnie, the gerbera is about 12" tall (to the flower heads). It's as true a red as you can get I think. Not a drop of pink in it!! I have it growing in a container. (That's the only way I've ever grown gerberas). Don't know if it would get bigger in the ground.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alice, I think I have the perfect spot for those daisies! If you would email me your address through my member page, I will send you a SASE, along with any seeds off my list that interest you.

Thanks for sharing,
    Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Azura, I am setting the Penstemon seeds aside for you, and will see what you have on your list that I would like.

Bonnie

• Azura
    16 years ago

P = commercial package
    M = I gathered them myself
    T = Trade
    6 = 2006
    7 = 2007

Un-veggies

• Avena sativa (Cat grass) - P7

• Buddleia Davidii (Butterfly Bush Mixed Colors) - P7

• Echinacea Purpurea Bravado Coneflower - P7

• Forget Me Nots - T6

• Helenium 'Moorheim Beauty' (may not come true from seed) - M6

• Lagurus Ovatus (Bunny Tails Grass) - P6

• Liatris 'Blazing Star' - T6

• Linum perenne "Appar" (Blue Flax) - P6

• Lobelia 'Crystal Palace' - P6

• Nasturtium 'Cherry Rose' - P6

• Nicandra (Shoo Fly Plant) - M7

• Nicotania Lime - T6

• Portulaca 'Sun Dial Peach' - P7

• Rose Campion "Pink" - T6

• Sweet William Biennial - T7

• Sisyrinchium bellum (Blue-Eyed Grass) - P6

• Zinnia Lilliput Mixed Colors - P6

Veggies:

• Bush Bean Trio (Botanical Interests three-bean mix Blue Lake 274, Cherokee Wax & Purple Queen) - P7

• Corn 'Early Sunglow' - P7

• Watermelon 'Ice Box Mickylee' - P7

• Watermelon 'Moon and stars" - P6

• Thai Dragon Pepper - P7

• Chinese Leek Hiro Haba - P7

I have tons of mixed cosmo and marigold seeds. The cosmos are sensation and sonata mixed several generations ago. They are bright pink, light pink, white and "red". The marigolds are African and French that have intermingled for many generations. Their colors are bright yellow to hurt-your-eyes orange.
    I also have some daylily seeds and rose hips I will probably never do anything with. I doubt they are of interest to any of you but let me know.
    I have other seeds that I dont have the time to go through right now but if you are looking for something in particular, please ask. I hope something sounds interesting to someone out there. :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Azura, I would love to have some of the Portulaca 'Sun Dial Peach'. I am also interested in the Helenium 'Moorheim Beauty', and I realize that it's a hybrid, so there is no guarantee, but I wonder what the parentage is, what it would revert back to? No peppers or tomatoes? : (

Email me your address through my member page, and I will send you the penstemon seeds, along with anything else you are interested in, and a SASE.

Thank you for taking the time to participate. I think trading seeds is so much fun. It's like baseball cards for grown ups, LOL!

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

First, I want to thank Steve, Alice, and Jill for participating in the seed exchange! I hope everyone is happy with their trades, and enjoyed participating as much as I did. There is a project on the Winter Sowing forum, where they send out seeds to people who are trying wintersowing for the first time. I plan to send whatever I have leftover to them, but I wanted to be sure that everyone on this forum had the opportunity to pick first. So I guess this is like a "last call".

Thanks, Bonnie

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

Thanks Bonnie for starting this. I'm really getting addicted to seed collecting.

I collected a few seeds from my Gazanias, which are probably my favorite flower planted this year. I love their sunny flowers, and they're still blooming! I would have put them on the exchange, but I'm a little greedy, most of the summer I deadheaded the flowers, but now I'm letting them go to seed, and they don't seem to produce that much seed. But next year when I have a lot more I'll have these seeds to exchange. They are just the sunniest, happiest little flower I have ever seen!

• stevation
    16 years ago

I got some good stuff from Bonnie -- thanks! Yours just went in the mail today.

Anyone interested in those Lavatera seeds? I REALLY like these flowers, and they are quite unique. I'm willing to send some seeds out to a few folks even if you don't have something I want in trade. Perhaps I should ask for a SASE, but if it's a few people, I don't mind using my own envelopes and postage!

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

Ok, Stevation, I'll take some of those Lavatera to replace my Mexican Primrose! If you'll mail me your address through my member page I'll be happy to send you an SASE. We have an old stampl collection that's worthless for anything, but supplying us with free postage!

• stevation
    16 years ago

Hey Alice,

I sent you the private message with my address. You should know that these Lavatera are much taller than evening primrose, but not as tall as some Lavateras can be. These are about 2 1/2 feet tall. Very nice, long bloomers. I think you'll like them.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    16 years ago

Steve, I really, really want some of your Lavatera seed, but I havenÂt had time to come up with a list of the things I have to swap, and I didnÂt want to ask for some until I had time to post my list. (I'm really glad you have some left!)

Please save some for me! IÂm off this week so I should be able to list what I have by mid-week for sure. If you still have some, IÂd be interested in some of the Iceland poppy seed too.

Bonnie, IÂd be interested in some of your Agastache ÂApache Sunset too. And if you were able to get seed from the ÂSafari Primrose marigolds, I like them too.

Azura, IÂm interested in some of your ÂMoerheim BeautyÂ, and maybe some of your blue flaxÂbut I got a couple small blue flax plants from somebody at the Spring Swap, and if the "somebody" was you, I already have some. Was what you had at the swap ÂApparÂ? (Also, the blue-eyed grass I got from you at the Spring Swap is doing great! No flowers this year, but I can hardly wait to see them bloom next year. I LOVE Sisyrinchium!)

IÂll be back with my list! If anybody wants to contact me and doesnÂt have my "real" email address from the swaps, email me at SkybirdDEN@gmail.com.

Skybird

P.S. PM's don't work for me on GW, so don't PM me and wonder why I don't answer you!

• Azura
    16 years ago

Bonnie-
    I got your seeds, thank you for your generousity. I sent you an email and I'm sending out your seeds tomorrow!

Steve (Stevation)-
    I expressed interest in your gorgeous lavatera earlier in this post but I'm not sure if I have something to pique your interest. I have a lot more seed that I really should catalog one of these days. Is there anything you (or anyone) are specifically looking for? I can also send a SASE.

Skybird-
    Yes, the flax I had at the Spring Swap was 'Appar' but I would love to send you some seed if you are interested. I'm happy to hear the flax and blue-eyed grass are doing well for you. I have adapted your "cut em down" theory on plants to avoid transplant shock. I remember looking at those tiny wilting flax plants at the swap when you said you were going to cut them and thinking "She must know what she is talking about." It has worked for me so well! I have sent you an email so that you can respond and send me your address. I will send you some Moorheim Beauty seed and I will not accept a SASE, you have been very generous to me at both swaps. I have to tell a quick story about the sedum you gave me. About a month after the swap, I planted them below my whiskey barrel water garden. I forgot that I had promised them to my eight-year-old for one of his gardens. He loves the Sedum 'Angelina' because they look like little pine trees. He came to me with tears in his eyes. "Mom, you promised me I could have those!" He also informed me that they wouldn't get enough sun where they are planted LOL! He is right and we moved the plants to his full sun garden.
    Btw, what was your final verdict on Nicandra? I'm sending some Nicandra seeds out to Catlady tomorrow too with the same warning I gave you, collect all of the seed, they can be invasive.
    -Azura

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Skybird,

You're in luck! I sent most of my leftover seeds out to the folks on the Winter Sowing forum for their free packs for newbies, but I saved the Agastache and the 'Safari Primrose' marigolds, because I am going to use some of them for myself. There's enough to send you some though, but I am holding them ransom until I see your list, LOL!

Thanks Azura! I'll keep my eye out for them. Isn't it nice to get something in the mail that isn't a bill, or junkmail???

Hey Alice, which Gazania do you have? I ordered the Gazania 'Sunshine Mix' a few weeks ago, but Jung's decided to sub 'Daybreak Hybrids Mix' without asking. There is a bronze one that I would love to have. What colors are yours?

Bonnie

16 years ago

First, Azura, I sent you an email from my real address, so watch for it just in case it goes to your spam box.

I donÂt think I need any of the flax seed, then. IÂm not sure how many of your little plants I got at the Spring Swap, but I put them together into 2 little plants that are going to be pretty nice next year. Besides cutting them down when I planted them, when they started growing back, they were getting too floppy for my liking, so I cut them down a second time to get them bushier and in hopes that they wouldnÂt flop so much when they became a little more established. So I didnÂt get any flowers on them this year, butÂespecially now that itÂs cooledÂtheyÂre coming back really nicely, and will be small, but nice full, really good looking plants next year. ItÂs gonna be a loooong wait till next spring!

Glad to hear you have an 8 year old to help you with your gardening! LOL I love it when kids are interested in gardening! But if your son likes the yellow "little pine trees," didnÂt you get any of the blue spruce sedum. They look even more like little pine trees since theyÂre blue spruce green. If you didnÂt get any, IÂll have to get you some at the Spring Swap! And if he likes sedum, I can make sure you get some of whichever ones you havenÂt gotten so farÂand maybe some hen & chicks. Bet heÂd love those! IÂm gonna take pictures of mine this year when theyÂre wearing their winter colors. And if he hasnÂt tried rooting the sedum cuttings, I bet heÂd have fun doing that too!

I wonÂt have a verdict on the Nicandra until next spring! I think I got most of the seed pods cut off before they dropped any seed. There are still seedheads on the (frozen) plant thatÂs out thereÂhope to get that and the other few annuals I have around here cleaned up this weekÂthe weather is supposed to be beautiful. And the seedheads seem to maintain their shape even after they drop their seeds, so IÂm gonna save them for possible dried arrangementsÂif I ever find time to get back to doing that! Just not enough hours/days/weeks...............

But I decided I absolutely love the Nicandra! And I have a kazillion seeds to send to anybody whoÂd like to try it. I still can hardly believe what it "grew into" considering it took me so long to get it into the ground that it was dying in the potÂand I was really pretty sure it was going to die the rest of the way after I transplanted it. But from what you saw at the swap, it not only grew (fast), but it THRIVED! It was over 5' tall when it froze, and so big that it was hard to get by on the path even with all the tying back I had done. Next year IÂm gonna plant (probably just some seed) in the 12" of soil between the air conditioner and the house at the back end of the veggie gardenÂif you happened to check out that area at the swap. IÂve tried growing sunflowers in there a couple times, and havenÂt been able to get them going. I have a feeling the...

16 years ago

Give me a couple days to see what kind of ransom I can come up with, High!

:-)
    Skybird

• stevation
    16 years ago

Hey Azura, the Blue-eyed grass seeds would be a good trade. And maybe just a small quantity of the Thai Dragon if you are willing to throw them in! Don't know if I can handle those peppers, but my brother-in-law claims to be the king of hot peppers. This just might show him up! :-) I'll send you a PM with my address. Is there anything else on my list you want?

And Skybird, I'll be happy to send you some Lavatera, too -- I have so many of those seeds I don't know what I could possibly do with all of them! I'm like the Johnny Appleseed of Lavateras. I'll look for your list soon, because I'm sure you'll have something interesting. Think low heights, in purple-lavender-blue colors or pinks-to-reds. Or interesting foliage that isn't too tall.

16 years ago

Ok, I decided to get this done tonite, so here is my list! All seed is '06 or '07 unless marked otherwise.

Click on any picture to enlarge. And most of them you can see more views by arrowing back and forth!

Agastache foeniculum, Anise Hyssop, 3' X 2-3', Sun, lavender, summer, z? (hardy)
    Herb, strong licorice scent, use for teas, reseeds easily

Alcea rosea - mixed colors - single hollyhock, 60" X 24", Full sun, mixed, Jun-Sep, z4
    This is technically a biennial, but mine always develop new plants at the base that bloom the next year. Also reseed very easily.

Alcea rosea ÂNigraÂ, single black hollyhock, 60" X 24", Full sun, black-red, Jun-Sep, z4 Seed collected from ÂNigra and it could possibly have cross pollinated, but there are no other hollyhocks anywhere nearby, so I doubt it. This is technically a biennial, but mine always develop new plants at the base that bloom the next year. Also reseed very easily. (this is '05 seed--after that I had other colors, so it probably wouldn't come true anymore!)

Aquilegia chrysantha, Columbine, 24" X 15", Part sun, yellow, Jun-Aug, z4
    VERY fragrant yellow flowersÂput them somewhere where you can easily bend over and sniff them on the way by, long blooming, comes true from seed, Colorado native.

Belamcanda chinensis, Blackberry Lily, 30 X 24, Sun, orange with red spots, Jul-Aug, z4
    Flowers are followed by 1/8" black seed clusters

Callirhoe involucrata, Wine cup, Poppy mallow, 6" X 36", Full sun, magenta, Jun-Sep, z3
    Colorado native, taprooted (very difficult to move), Plant Select selection, seed germination very irregular - may take months  cold stratification may help some

Crocosmia ÂLuciferÂ, 30" X 30", Sun, red-orange, Jun-Jul, z5

Cyclamen hederifolium, hardy cyclamen, 6" X 6", Part shade to shade, white, Sep-Oct, z5 (I only have enough of this for 2 or possibly 3 packs---get your order in early!)

Hibiscus moscheutos ÂDisco Belle PinkÂ, 4-5' X 3-4', Full sun, Jul-Oct, z4
    Large 6" white to light pink flowers with a dark pink eye (seed was collected from pink and could...

16 years ago

And here are the other seeds that were left here after the swapÂthat IÂm not keeping for myself!

HereÂs what I have left from the seeds Cnetter gave me for the swap:

Penstemon strictus, Rocky Mountain Penstemon, 24" X 24", Full sun, lavender, Jun-Jul, z4, evergreen, xeric, Colorado native (I have a few of these that are mine too, but I have a whole bunch left still from Cnetter)

Mexican hat, I assume Ratibida columnifera v. pulcherrima, maroon & yellow flowers, CO native, reseeds

Red & white Papaver somniferum, (opium/breadseed poppies) Danish Flag (refining instructions not included!)

Tall generic gaillardia

And these are the seeds that were left by others! (IÂm listing everything I know about themÂcanÂt answer questions!)

PERENNIALS:
    Malva sylvestris ÂZebrina - this is real pretty, similar to SteveÂs Lavatera - google it! (I have seeds from somebody else or IÂd keep it for myself!) - 1 pack

Aquilegia, white columbine (if this was grown near other columbine, it could have crossed!) - 2 packs

Small lavender iris - 1 pack

Mixed poppies! - 1 pack - lots of seed

Gaillardia - unknown variety! - 1 pack

Alpine Wildflowers - partial commercial pack - Â97

Aquilegia ÂPink Bonnets - full commercial pack - I think Â05

ANNUALS:
    Cleome - pink - 1 pack

Eyeball plant, peek-a-boo plant - yellow ball shaped blooms w/red center, reseeds, 12" tall - 1 pack

Nicotiana - white - 1 pack

Red poppy, Papaver rhoeas - full commercial pack - Â07

Marigold - original plant ÂJanie Flame - 2 packs

VEGGIES & HERBS:
    Broccoli, summer purple sprouting (Woc Brocc) - full commercial pack - Â05

Radish ÂSparkler - full commercial pack - Â07

Garlic chives - part commercial pack - Â00

Chives - part commercial pack - Â93

Thyme - part commercial pack - Â90 something

Oregano - part commercial pack - Â93

Marjoram - part commercial pack - Â93

Mammoth dill - part commercial pack - Â93

Catnip - part commercial pack - Â93

Sweet basil - part commercial pack - Â93

Thyme - part commercial pack - Â99

Sage (picture looks like ordinary garden sage!) - part commercial pack - Â99

One more time! DonÂt PM me thru GWÂit wonÂt work! Use the address in the above post to contact me!

All seeds are available for a SASEÂjust let me know if youÂre interested!

Skybird

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Skybird for posting that list! I know that took some time.

Hmmmm... I am interested in the Blackberry Lily. When I clicked on the photos, I realized that the foliage I was seeing was from something else, since I found one in your album that showed the whole plant. I can't for the life of me figure out where I have two feet to put another plant, but I want it anyway, LOL. (sounds like an excuse for more lawn removal) How long does it take to reach that width?

I could also use some chives, since mine were a bust this year, but I would love some tips to help me be more successful with them next year. Your talking to someone who can kill mint!!!

Bonnie

• stevation
    16 years ago

Skybird,

I'd love some seeds for the Callirhoe and the Belamcanda. Do you want anything else of mine to make it a fair trade (more than just the Lavatera)? I'll send you an email with my address.

And just so everyone knows -- Malva sylvestris is VERY INVASIVE. So, in defense of my nice, polite Lavateras, please don't say they're equivalent to that thug! :-)

Seriously, I've been trying to wipe out Malva sylvestris from my front flowerbeds for the past two seasons. It's a lot like Mexican Evening Primrose, in my mind! Pretty, but takes over the world. You really might not like it in your very carefully tended garden, Skybird.

16 years ago

Is that all you guys want??? IÂm trying to get rid of seed here, guys! IÂm not worried about an "even" trade! Just want to send as much seed to folks as I can!

You probably found this picture, Bonnie, but the Blackberry Lily foliage is like iris foliage, but it isnÂt just basalÂit grows out of the stem most of the way up to the flowers

(ThereÂs another shot of the whole plant 3 frames back.)

Timewise, Bonnie, mine in the picture was put in as a tiny, tiny, tiny little division I got in that one-and-only, off-RMG trade I did, about 2½ years ago. Last year it had some flowers, but this was the first year itÂs looked pretty goodÂand it is finally starting to actively spread out at the base. Next year it should be really good, but I need to move it because the foliage is too similar to the hardy pampas grass next to it. From seed I think it would be at least 3 years before youÂd have a "nice" plant.

IÂll send a pack of the chive seed I harvested this year, and IÂll also stick in the two partial packs of commercial seed I have from the swap (regular and garlic).

For starting it, I recommend you do two things! First, sow some directly in the ground outside where you want it to grow. IÂm almost certain itÂll come up for you next spring, and IÂm guessing itÂll already have a root system established by the time you actually see it. Sow at least a dozen seeds all in the same placeÂand be sure you mark where it is so you donÂt accidentally dig into it before itÂs visible. I wasnÂt paying any attention to mine when it was developing seed, and I (uncomfortably) suspect IÂm going to have a whole bunch of new plants coming up in the area of mine next springÂwhich means IÂll have a bunch of them for the Spring Swap too. Then IÂd also recommend you start a dozen or so seeds in a small pot inside right now and keep them on a sunny windowsill over winter. When they get big enough, you can cut and use them over winter, and, if you want to, you can also plant that one outside in springÂand since itÂll have a well developed root system by then, you shouldnÂt have any problem with it. But be forewarned! Once you get them started, youÂre going to have LOTS of them!

Steve, a pack of the Belamcanda seeds are yours! In the pictures youÂre actually looking at the seeds youÂre going to be getting (both of you!)ÂtheyÂre still on the plant. I usually put my seeds in tiny zipper baggies, but with these I think IÂll but them in a small paper envelope since IÂm sure thereÂs still moisture in them. If you donÂt sow them immediately, I recommend you put them in a plastic bag once youÂre sure theyÂre all the way dry. I think IÂd also recommend sowing some of these directly outside now, like I did for the chives above, and keep some to start early next spring. I always like the idea of direct sowing...

• cnetter
    16 years ago

I didn't know Zabrina was invasive either. I have one, but I didn't plant it. I have no idea where it came from, but so far it's just stayed at one plant. I've only had it for a couple of years.

Maybe the fact that it showed up out of nowhere is a hint I shouldn't trust it. Darn, it's so pretty. And I collected seeds from it too.

• Azura
    16 years ago

Skybird,
    I would love some Cyclamen and Anise Hyssop seeds, please. I would also like some of the Danish flag, I promise not to refine them ;)
    Thank you for offering your extras to a good home.

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

Wow! I seem to have missed several posts in this thread, so here goes some responses - not in order of importance ;)

Stevation, I'm not sure how to get to the PM's. Maybe I have a problem like Skybird. Why don't you email me directly at aliceann8@hotmail.com?

Bonnie, no name at all on my gazanias. I think I got them at Kmart. They are a mix - my favs are a darker yellow, almost marigold orange with a dark stripe down the middle of the petal. The flowers are just perfectly shaped. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of them for you. I'll be sure to take pictures next year and collect a lot more seed - then if you like, I'll send you some.

Dee, I have no idea where I will put it, but I'd really love some of the "Disco Belle Pink". That is absolutely gorgeous! I'll email you shortly. Could you tell me the name of the plant that's shown in front of it in your album? It's the airy one with the tiny pink flowers growing off the long stems. I had one of these in Seattle, loved it, tried to bring it with me, but it didn't survive. I'd love to buy another if I knew what it was! I'll also take some of the Zabrina. I know, you're all shaking your heads. But is is so cute. And if Cnetter says it's ok...

And Dee, I planted 3 May Night Salvias this year. So if all goes well, maybe you can coach me next year on getting some seed or cuttings for you.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Skybird,

I don't have Gaillardia 'Fanfare', but I did harvest some 'Goblin' seeds the other day, if you want some of those.

I'm sure I will find somewhere to put that Blackberry Lily. I was just out there this morning removing more sod from around those tiny mums in the little island bed. I told DH that they were going to get big and that I needed to expand that circle, but the "real" plan is to add another layer. Today, I put in three 'Stella de Oro's and I think I will plant a red Geum in between them, or Euphorbia 'Bonfire'. Eventually, that whole corner of the yard will be one big bed. Shhhhhh... don't tell my hubby, LOL.

Let me know about the Gaillardia, and I will get your seeds on the way.

Bonnie

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Alice, I'm not sure Zabrina is OK yet - it's only been there two years. Steve has me seriously rethinking it.

16 years ago

Ok, guys, IÂm gonna post to each one of you individually just to be sure IÂve got this all right! If I have anything wrongÂgiving or gettingÂplease let me know.

And donÂt any of you want any other of my seeds? If IÂm sending something anyway, itÂs easy enough to stick in a couple extra packets. And since the seed is all fresh, it should be good for at least a few years if you donÂt get around to starting it now.

I have email addresses for all four of you, and IÂll send you my snail mail address later tonite.

IÂm going to send the exact same thing I post on RMG to your email addressses in a little while.

Skybird

16 years ago

Bonnie, I have you down for getting Belamcanda, and ChivesÂIÂll send my fresh seed and the 2 partial packets of commercial seed left from the swap.

If youÂd like to try mint again, I have an unopened commercial pack of Peppermint seed (Â96) I can send. Being mint I can almost guarantee the seed will be viable enough for you to get a good start. ItÂs another one where you could sow some of it directly outside now, and start more in a pot sometime during the winter. You just have to promise not to send a hit man after me when it takes over your yard!

And I have you down for sending me Agastache ÂApache SunsetÂ, Marigold ÂSafari PrimroseÂ, and, yes, go ahead and send a few ÂGoblin seeds along too. Actually, ÂFanfare was a sport of ÂGoblin to begin withÂit wasnÂt unusual for me to see a ÂGoblin that looked like ÂFanfare when I was selling themÂI always called them the "pretty ones," and then somebody isolated it, renamed it, and made a fortune on it!

AndÂÂI wonÂt say anything to your husband (he might confiscate our shovel!), but you have WAY too much grass out there! Some of it DEFINITELY needs to go awayÂmysteriously!

I know I have your mailing address, but I donÂt have a clue where it is right now. Could you please send it to me again and IÂll make sure it gets in my address book this time.

Thanks,
    Skybird

16 years ago

Steve, I have you down for getting Callirhoe, and Belamcanda, and sending to me Lavatera, Iceland poppy, and annual larkspur.

Are you sure you donÂt want anything else? You have a BIG yard! How about some of the Hibiscus?

16 years ago

Azura, I have you down for getting Cyclamen, anise hyssop, and Red & white opium poppies, and sending to me ÂMoorheim BeautyÂ.

Are you SURE you donÂt want anything else?

I need your mailing address to send the stuff out. IÂll send you mine from my "real" email addy later tonite, and you can send me yours back to that address.

Skybird

16 years ago

Alice, first, to send a PM to somebody (Steve?), just click on his name above one of his posts, and when "his page" comes up, click on the little ugly green link that says "send me an email." HeÂll get it, along with your email address to reply to you. If you try to send a message to me that way, though, itÂll look like it works to youÂbut I wonÂt ever get it. Something got messed up when iV took over, and it hasnÂt worked for me ever since then. Apparently I can send PMÂs TO people, but I just canÂt receive them FROM other people.

I have you down for getting ÂDisco Belle Pink Hibiscus, and the Malva ÂZebrina There was only one pack of the Malva, so thatÂs it for that one.

The plant with the tiny pink flowers in front of the hibiscus is Gaura lindheimeri ÂSiskiyou PinkÂ. I love it, but it was put in by the previous owners, and itÂs too close to the sidewalk, and it tends to flop, so it flops all over the sidewalk for most of the summer. It blooms almost all summer. This year when it just looked too bad because of the floppy factor, I went thru and individually cut out the (large) flower stems at the base, and it came back and started blooming againÂmore uprightÂbut itÂs frozen now. Gaura is sometimes considered only marginally hardy to z5, so itÂs one of the few things I donÂt cut all the way down to the ground in fall. Leaving some of the foliage on seems to help protect it a little over winter. When you do that, tho, you need to be sure to cut it down pretty promptly in springÂit starts growing early, and if you wait too long, youÂll wind up cutting the first flush of flowers off. So leave a decent amount of foliage on over winter, cut it down early in spring, and be prepared to cover it overnite if you have a cold snap. It should be readily available locally in spring. This IS the pink flowers youÂre talking about, isnÂt itÂall mixed in with the lavender?

AndÂseed from ÂMay Night will be very easy to harvest next yearÂyouÂll find it all by yourself (but ask if you donÂt!) The problem is that if you cut it (all the way) down promptlyÂtoo promptly for seed to developÂafter it blooms the first time, you can usually get a complete second bloom thatÂs very close looking to the first one. So you need to either decide to forego seed from the first flush and hope the season is long enough for seed to develop after the second bloom, or let the first flush produce seed and hope thereÂs still time to get a good second bloom, and that the seed production doesnÂt mess up the second bloom for you. IÂd go with the first option and hope to get seed the second time around since salvia produces seed fairly quickly after blooming.

If questions about any of that, let me know!

Skybird

• stevation
    16 years ago

Skybird, I got some big Hibiscus moscheutos last winter from a trade, and I had more than enough of them to plant in my garden this year. It was hard to think of where to put such over-the-top massive flowers! But I appreciate your offer. I'll be happy with the Callirhoe and Belamcanda. I got your address in the email today, so I'll send those three you wanted this week.

Alice, I just sent you an email so you'll have my address for that SASE. I did try it through the link here on GW, but you must not have gotten that.

And as for Malva sylvestris, the variety I have is not Zebrina, but it is another variety of the same species, so I'm pretty sure it will have similar characteristics.

• Azura
    16 years ago

Hey guys
    I used the automated postal center to mail out my seeds and it didn't charge enough postage somehow. If your seeds showed up at your house with postage due, I'm sorry and I can send you stamps to make up for it. Please let me know here or in email if I can send you extra stamps or if you didnt get your seeds from me at all for whatever reason. Skybird, your seeds got returned to me with postage due so I will resend it on Monday. Its embarrassing and irritating since the automated postal computer should calculate these things correctly. I went back and asked a real person and got a 5 minute lecture on envelope thickness. I'm so sorry and please let me know!

• stevation
    16 years ago

I got the seeds you sent, Azura. No problems here! And hey, my brother-in-law was very happy that I'm going to share some of those Thai red dragons with him.

• girlwithagreenthumb
    11 years ago

I would love your popcorn strawberry seeds, and you posted at just the right time! I have some banana pepper seeds, the banana peppers aren't too spicy and they produce these cute, little, banana shaped peppers!