Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Pests (indoors)!!

digit
15 years ago

This time of year, we're all bringing our fruit and Winter companion plants indoors.

I think last year, we swapped and swatted at the fungus gnats for awhile on this forum. I've finally just turned to "Bug Stix" in every pot to deal with 'em (along with trying to control the soil moisture situation.)

Lots of us have baskets & boxes of tomatoes, apples, and such in the kitchen right now. Oh, and around here, the French petit plums are the worse -

for attracting fruit flies. But, I've even noticed that peppers hanging to dry get some notice from these pesky pests.

Some years, I've even reached the breaking point of moving stuff back outdoors just to be rid of the fruit flies! How you goin' to control 'em?!?

On a recent tomato thread, I posted a picture of all the 'maters on a small table in the kitchen, hardly a half of it. Howsomever . . . this Fall, the pesky fruit flies are few and seldom seen!

It's those Bug Stix and related yellow sticky traps! No, I haven't glued any to the fruit. Really, almost by accident and with only a tiny light bulb coming on inside my head - - I placed them between the fruit and the only lights shining overnight.

One sticky trap is in the kitchen window above the 'maters. Outside the window - the backporch light shines out into the darkness (& into the kitchen) every night. The thing is Death on the fruit flies!

Just thought I'd share a little idea that has helped control the pests in my kitchen. (Now, if you could just set up a trap for GW pests to get their dititS' stuck on . . . ;o)

Comment (1)