Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Apple Festival pie crust

digit
15 years ago

Apple pie crust - I know that this is fairly Off Topic here on RMG but I also know that we have some very good bakers.

I went to an Apple Festival Sunday (and, of course, had a piece of pie :o).

We can duplicate the filling successfully but the crust was so crisp! Why?

With the apples coming indoors - it would be really nice to have all sorts of recipes at hand. Can you help with pie crust crithpnethth??

Theve'th digitth''

Comments (7)

• aliceg8
    15 years ago

Digit, the first thing that comes to my mind is lard. Or maybe Crisco. I have a cookie recipe for "Lard Cookies", and I remember that it stated that the lard gave them a special crispness.

I'm no pie baker expert though, so I don't really know. I think my Grandma used Crisco.

Good luck!

Pie is my favorite dessert. So I'm a little envious.

Alice

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

My mother has always sworn by crisco and ready crust. I however like to make it from scratch and the first thing I discovered is that crisco makes a LOUSY crust, use lard. The second rule is the don't overwork the crust, once you are blended, roll and bake. Unlike bread, crusts do not like to be touched.
    Here is my recipe from Better Homes and Gardens "Pies and Cakes" 1969:

Double crust
    2 C Sifted all-porpose flour
    1 t salt
    2/3 C shortening (lard)
    5 to 7 T cold water
    Sift together flour and salt: cut in shortening with pastry blender or blending fork till pieces are the size of small peas. (For extra tender pastry, cut in half the shortening till mixtrure looks like cornmenal. Then cut in remaining till like small peas.) Sprinkle next tablespoon waster over part of mixture. Gently toss with fork: push to side of bowl. Sprinkle next tablespoon water over dry part" mix lightly" push to moistened part at side. Repeat till all is moistened. Form into ball. (for double-crust and lattice top pies, divide for lower and upper crust. Form each portion into ball.) Flatten ball on lightly floured surface. Roll from center to edge till dough is 1/8 inch thick.

My Aunt, a wonderful baker, taught me to use the side of my hand to mark the top of the ball of dought like you would a peanut butter cookie, three of four times each way. It seems to help keep the dough more even as it is rolled and keeps the edges from splitting so bad.

Good luck
    Billie

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mom didn't use lard, in fact, during a number of her final baking years - she was trying to get bread products right using oil instead of Crisco. She had very limited success. Now that Crisco has been labeled zero grams of trans fat per 1 tablespoon . . . I'm feeling a little better about using it. (Before the re-labeling, I just wouldn't tell her. ;o)

Well, it might have been lard at the Apple Festival but I didn't taste any "meat" flavor. So very thin . . .

d'S'

• margaretmontana
    15 years ago

Most likely made with butter. I make the Crisco one if only making 1 pie and the vinegar one for 3 pies. The vinegar one is very forgiving and is tender. I also have a buttermilk pie crust that is good. My brother makes a pretty good oil one but I havn't been happy with the one I tried.

Butter Pie Crust
    2 cups flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    2/3 cup cold butter
    4-5 Tbs cold water
    Combine flour and salt, cut in butter until looks like coarse crumbs. Make a well and stir in cold water with a fork until just moistened. Makes 2 crusts. Refrigerate the half you are not working with.

Never Fail Pie Crust
    4 cups flour
    2 cups shortening
    1 egg
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 Tbs whhite vinegar
    cold water
    In food processor combine flour, baking powder and shortening until crumbly. Beat egg in mixing cup and add enough water to make 3/4 cup. Add vinegar and egg mixture and bring to a ball. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. It will be sticky so you can use flour in rolling out. Makes 3 double crust pies barely. Which is usually 2 apple and 1 cherry! My oven will hold 3 pies at one time.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

I don't even remember the last time I made a pie--it may have been back when I was in 4-H, but I was always under the impression that using ice water and keeping the dough COLD was the magic---and Margaret seems to be confirming that. Also mixing it as little as possible, as Billie said.

Send us all a sample when you start baking,
    Skybird

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

I've been craving an apple pie for a week...

Digit - check Shirley Corriher's book "Cookwise". It has every variable you can think of for pie crust, whether it's flakey, buttery, crisp or a combination of characteristics. There is a recipe over on cooking for a vodka crust that is really easy.

Pie crust is my nemesis, but even I can make the vodka crust.

• jclepine
    15 years ago

I have to agree. Veggie shortening or lard is crispier than butter or oil. Also, don't over knead. Wrap in plastic and set in the fridge for 30 minutes minimum to an hour. Also, don't over do it with the rolling.

Another good idea is to adjust cooking according to your oven. If it cooks hot, place a piece of tin foil under your pie plate. Try switching from glass to metal or vice versa...etc.

I got this from someone here on the cooking forum and it works no matter how I tweak it! I never stick to a recipe and I've even used cane juice crystals in place of granulated sugar. So yummy...

This one works for me rather well and I used Earth Balance which is vegetarian butter:

Here is a link that might be useful: pie recipe with easy crust