Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to CO: When to Plant Bulbs?

Posted by rmkitchen 5 -- Boulder, Colora (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 07 at 12:53

Hi All;

We've lived in Superior (just south of Boulder, next to Louisville) since March of this year and I am having a good time (albeit with a steep learning curve!) gardening. We moved here from San Francisco, CA, and one thing I am really looking forward to are tulips!

I bought (way too many) bulbs but now am unclear when to plant. I purchased tulip, iris, daffodil, crocus and hyacinth bulbs.

Do I wait until the irrigation is turned off (I think that should be around Halloween?) or do I need to plant them before that? We have drip on the plants and netafim for the lawns.

Thank you for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to CO: When to Plant Bulbs?

Bulbs planted in the fall need to root before it gets real cold, and moisture helps with that. Too much water will rot them, but the normal watering for flower beds hasn't rotted any of my bulbs.

I'd plant them now.

o
RE: New to CO: When to Plant Bulbs? and drip

Another thing - normally I have the drip system turned off now to prevent it from bursting from a hard freeze.

We both may get away with keeping it going until the 30th - it's been an unusual fall. But keep a good watch on the weather.

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 07 at 14:24

Hi RM (Rocky Mountain?)Kitchen,

Just wanna say hi, and welcome to Colorado and RMG. We're glad you found us.

Also, I recommend you mark where you plant the bulbs. It'll be nice to know what's coming up where in spring, and after the foliage dies down, when you're planting other things, it'll keep you from accidentally digging into your bulbs.

Hope to see more of you around here,
Skybird

o

Welcome to Colorado. You can plant your bulbs any time between now and when the ground freezes. As you've been told, they will do better if watered and have a chance to develop some roots before it freezes. I'm not familiar with Superior, but if it's anything like the City of Boulder, the climate is a bit more temperate than the Denver metro area because it's in a valley up against the hills. I've seen things growing in Boulder that I haven't seen anywhere else in the State. Daffodils do better than the other Spring bulbs where we are located. They increase and get prettier every year, but tulips just kind of dwindle away over the years. There are a few exceptions, but most of them don't do well. They'll be gorgeous the first Spring and it's downhill from there. Crocus do ok and Muscari do too well. I wish I had never planted any.
Karen

o

Thank you all for your help! I now know what my weekend will be, and I'm really excited.

I've been having fun reading the various posts here and realize I have so much to learn. Luckily there are all you smart and generous people out there!

I'm sure I'll have other questions before then, but hopefully come Spring I'll have pretty pictures to share of my maiden voyage.

Thank you again, all!

o

I just wanted to add that, although not really a bulb, irises of all kinds do fantastic here in Colorado and IMO are among the most beautiful of garden flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here