Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roundup Ready straw....

Posted by Puglogic 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 13:05

We use a lot of straw to mulch our garden beds, and use a lot at the community garden both for mulch and compost. I've been hearing ominous rumblings lately (fueled by an article in Mother Earth News, I believe) that some of the straw for sale here is Monsanto's roundup-ready stuff. Regardless of whether you think that's a dangerous thing, is anyone aware of a source for straw that knows whether their product is roundup-ready or not? I've asked our usual provider and she's clueless how to even find out. Any ideas from the RM gardeners out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roundup Ready straw....

I think you should see if there is a source for news on the growing of Roundup Ready grain. I haven't seen the current issue of MEN but here is what the USDA said about the roundup ready wheat found in Oregon recently:

"There are no GE wheat varieties approved for sale or in commercial production in the United States or elsewhere at this time." (May, 2013)

I had to do a google cache search since much of the USDA website is not available because of the shutdown. It is linked below thru firefox but the link worked in Chrome, also.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA ... glyphosate-resistant wheat ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here