Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Enjoying a Rain

digit
13 years ago

Between nearly breaking a finger nail folding clothes this morning and looking out the window at a steady rain, I read this informative weather article - Everybody Talks Smack About The Weather, Why?

Predicted overnight temperatures in the mid-30's, which would probably have spelled "frost" in my garden, have been missed 3 times here - beginning about a month ago. Well, it actually fell to 38, once. We are having a LATE 1st frost, this year!!

I spent quite a bit of time lamenting (with good cause ;o) the cool, wet, windy late spring here. The tomatoes had a real tuff go of it but I've been picking buckets of tomatoes the last 2 weeks!

Of course, the pepper plants also came out stunted and there is no real chance of the bells and such ever ripening beyond green but, I would be shocked if I ever had a red or yellow bell in the garden, anyway!

I ate half a Sugar Baby watermelon for breakfast! The 38 degrees 3 weeks ago put the plants on a steep down hill path but there was 1 ripe fruit then and the crate of little watermelons sitting on my deck has yielded some nice, tasty fruit ever since. Those other melons that dodged some kind of rind disease have done just fine. Notably, the Passport Galia did the best again this year but I'm down to the final one!

I reserve the right to complain about the weather and expect to, right after I get what should be the last of the zucchini out of the mud this afternoon. I certainly have NOT developed ""an impoverished sense of wonder about nature." Oh how I wish I could have painted that sunset yesterday -- on the way home with my Thai Hot Pepper, radish seed, and millet harvest!

digitSteve

Here is a link that might be useful: Total Growing Degree Days, Mar 1 - Oct 2, 2010

Comments (2)