Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering kales and cabbage

Posted by jaliranchr z5 EC CO (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 14:14

Fortunately, our temps did not reach the predicted low 20s. I knew these would make it with mid-to-high 20s, and they did. There are just beginning to put on their show and I'm so glad the forecasts were wrong, again.
All three of these were part of a package from Harris Seeds. Love them. Best year yet for these.

White kale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering kales and cabbage

Pink Cabbage

o

Red Kale

o

Oh, those are pretty, Jali!

My kale is of the Scotch persuasion.

For many years, I didn't grow kale after having them, long ago. The "sweeten after frost" had me staying away from them during the summer. I would wade thru the snow for them thru the winter. That got old!

Now, we have kale whenever there are nice, lower leaves.

My kale plants look like short palm trees right now!

Steve

o

Those are beautiful plants - I assume they taste just as good as the other kales?

I had a terrible time getting my kale (Red Russian) started this year, had to resow 4 or 5 times. I now have about 8 plants. But those are growing so well that its plenty.

The current favorite recipe is to take a buncha leaves, cut out the tough part of the stems, then roll the leaves up and shred them as finely as possible with a very sharp knife. Then mix up a vinaigrette, add thinly sliced onions, dried tomatoes, some slivered almonds, and toss it all together, and let it marinate for at least two hours before eating.

o

Thanks, guys. I grow these for ornamental fun only. They say they are tough, so I don't think I want to go there because I'm not a fan of the taste of kale. I tried them a few years ago, but they never got very big, but this year, they are doing great. I fell in love with them during a visit to Maine and the Roosevelt House on Campabello Island, New Brunswick several years ago. They are everywhere in New England and the Maritimes. After transplanting the seedlings, I went to war with the flea beetles, but, as you can see, I beat those nasty buggers! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here