Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rxnnhern

Planting bulbs

rxnnhern
18 years ago

Hi

I'm in the metro Denver area. I bought a bunch of bulbs last weekend but didn't get them planted. Since it's supposed to warm up this weekend will I still be able to plant them or is it too late?

Comments (10)

• nancy_in_co
    18 years ago

Hi,

As long as the soil is workable, you can plant your bulbs. I live in Colorado Springs and I generally don't plant any bulbs until late October. The soil is just too warm and the bulbs could break dormancy.

Happy planting.

• cnetter
    18 years ago

It's definitely not too late. You could even wait longer.

• rxnnhern
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your reply's, I'm glad to know I didn't waste a bunch of money on bulbs. I've only done this once before so we'll see if I can make it work this time.

• greenbean
    18 years ago

which blubs do the best in denver?

iris, crocus..daffodils, tulips....any other good ideas?
    i may look like a greenbean but my thumb isn't.
    what can't i ruin?

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    18 years ago

greenbean -- For large flowers and wonderful fragrance, you might want to try some Hyacinth's. And for something more unusual, get a couple Fritillaria's. There are quite a few different varieties in different heights and colors and some of the larger yellow or orange ones can be real show stoppers. I don't have any here at my new house yet, but by next fall I'll definitely be picking out a few to put in.

Here's a link to a site with really good basic bulb info.

Have fun,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulbs & More

• cnetter
    18 years ago

I don't think you can ruin wood hyacinth or grape hyacinth. Both spread like crazy. One of my favorites is a tiny little very early iris called iris reticulata. Often blooms while there's still snow on the ground. The grass like foliage dissapears in the summer and doesn't show again until the next spring.

• irina_co
    18 years ago

I vote for the crocus and iris reticulata. I try to plant them on a northern side near my door and driveway so I can enjoy them longer. If you plant them on a southern side - they will pop up in January and be gone before anybody sees them. I stick them in between the rose bushes. Grape hyacinths, snow squills, alliums - they are just too delicate to see them.

Cheryl - I just cut yesterday the last roses - the cutting that I believe belonged to your noname floribunda - outperformed everything in the garden. The 5 feet bush this year produced hundreds of yellow pink red touch fragrant double blooms. I tried to mail you several times - but someway it always bounces.

Irina the Russian one

• greenbean
    18 years ago

thanks for the bulb info. i will file the types away and maybe do that next fall.
    i also moved into a new home...so there's much to do.
    but i think between when i last posted and now...it's been pretty snowy...so too late to bulb..right?
    even my geraniums...that lasted so long on the deck this year.....are gone now because of that snow and wind we got....
    so---i guess even though its warm right now...it's too late to do any bulbs this weekend...(thanksgiving weekend) right?

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    18 years ago

Greenbean,

As long as your soil isn't frozen---and it's not too wet to work in it---you can still plant them. I've only gotten about half of mine planted so far---and I just bought 2 more packs (for $2.00 each) at Kmart today!

Skybird

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I'm in Northern Nevada, and I just finished planting bulbs in the ground. Just. The ground isn't frozen yet, and I will NOT cruise the local nurseries for clearance bulbs...I will NOT. As it is, I placed three separate end-of-season orders (all planted as of yesterday).