Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When To Cut Back Autumn Amber Sumac

Posted by valygirl none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 16:07

Hello, I would like to know the best time to cut back this vine-like shrub that is hanging over a rock wall. I am in Grand Junction, CO. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When To Cut Back Autumn Amber Sumac

Valygirl, you have waited a long time for someone to respond.

I don't know much about shrubs. My yard is barely big enough to get the pickup turned around in so that I can head off to other property to grow an annual garden. One fruit tree, perennial plantings and a few hydrangeas . . .

Here is what I've learned just searching around the internet and there is very little information on Rhus trilobata care. It is almost as tho' they should be "care-free." Altho', Wyoming and New Mexico Cooperative Extension mention Rhus trilobata, the only extension service that talks about pruning is Harvard. Well, I guess they aren't an extension service . . .

"R. trilobata requires little maintenance; pruning to control height and improve appearance can be done as needed." How about that?

Since the pruning information on Staghorn Sumac all seems to be about doing that work after flowering, I'll guess that is also true for Rhus trilobata. Pruned branches tend to die-back with winter frost damage anyway.

The Harvard info is linked below. Hope it helps!

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: arboretum.harvard.edu

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here