Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ion_source_guy

Finally caught the culprits eating my peas!

ion_source_guy
14 years ago

This is an 8 year story, so bear with me.

For YEARS I have been frustrated because SOMETHING has been gobbling my pea plants so badly I can hardly get a single pod. The first year or two after I started my garden here in Fort Collins I had decent luck with peas. But by the third year my plants were stunted, struggling and raggedy looking. A year or two later I realized it wasn't that the plants were unhealthy, the problem was they were being EATEN! Particularly when they were small, I could see that something was nibbling on the growing tips, tendrils and the newest tender leaves, chewing them all off. Some of the leaves had little 25 or 30 degree angle chunks torn out of them. Instead of round leaves, my pea leaves were just nubbins, or chewed to the ground, or you could see they had several of these little 25 degree triangles ripped out.

Well, that made sense. I knew the reason peas are resistant to frost is because there's a lot of sugar in their blood. I also had seen mice in the garden a number of times, so my first suspect was the mice. So that winter, and the following spring, I put out mouse bait, and made sure to keep it filled to kill off the mouse population. The result that year was no change. So the next year, I continued the poison, and beefed up my efforts with a couple of those metal box type traps. Still no change

I knew we've had a little trouble with rats in the neighborhood occasionally. I suspect they're partial to the irrigation ditch, since I know several people with yards next to the ditch have had to deal with them. Now I suspected Rats. The next year, in addition to the poison, and the traps, I sprinkled really hot chili powder solution on the young pea plants. Rats are SMART. (usually smart enough to not eat wayfarin) I figured if they get that powder a time or two, they will want nothing to do with my garden or my peas after that. The chili seemed to have some effect, but since my sprinklers go every 3rd night washing away the Chili powder, after about 2 weeks, I realized it would cost me a LOT in Chili powder to keep my peas healthy. So I quit the Chili powder, and within a week, once again my pea plants were raggedy and decimated. The weird thing is, I kept looking on the ground for some sign of the culprits. I looked for rat prints, or squirrel prints, or raccoon or rabbit prints in the mud, or poop on my carpet scrap mulch between rows. But there were no signs of such a critter.

This year I was BOUND and DETERMINED to keep mice, rats, squirrels, raccoons and all other sorts of vermin out of my peas. I bought several big rolls of hardware cloth at home depot, for each of my usual 3 rows of peas, I folded the hardware cloth into long triangular Teepees about 12 inches tall to cover the entire row. I dug furrows for the sides and buried the edges of these covers a good 3 or 4 inches to insure mice wouldn't have much luck if they tried to dig under my protective covers. I watched carefully to make sure nothing was trying to dig under there. Sure enough, the little pea plants took off like rockets inside the Teepees. For the first time in years they were strong and healthy and growing FAST. I figured that once the plants had good momentum and decent size, they could either grow out through the hardware cloth, or I could just remove the teepees entirely. But as soon as they reached the hardware cloth and started to send growing tips or baby leaves out through the holes, I could see once again they were getting chewed off as soon as they stuck out past the holes. Still no footprints or signs of critters.

Since apparently anything exiting my Teepees was getting chewed off, I waited until it seemed like my plants were all very strong and vibrant. Then I removed the teepees. I figured, surely a few mice or a couple of rats or squirrels couldn't possibly eat 3 whole rows of strong pea plants already 12 or 14 inches tall and growing fast. So I removed the teepees. It worked! Once again, I could see they were being eaten. More than I expected, but at least my plants were already big enough they were not decimated. I was surprised to find the plants were getting chewed up even more at the top than near the bottom. Why would a mouse or rat climb up to the top of my little wire fences to eat pea plants rather than just chomping away in safety near the ground? Again, the pattern of little triangles torn out of leaves, and now with the plants much bigger and healthier the pattern was more obvious, since the critters weren't able to chaw the plants nearly to the ground.

Then, it happened. One day, I was sitting on my deck drinking a beer, when out of the corner of my eye I caught some kind of motion down in the garden. I never wear my glasses at home, and my eyes aren't what they used to be, so I couldn't tell what it was, but there was definitely something moving in the peas. I grabbed my binoculars, and then I SAW THEM! FINCHES!!! 10 or 20 of them. Little red and brown house finches! They were GOBBLING my pea plants! I knew right away, it HAD to be them. It must have been the finches ALL Along. On closer inspection, I now noticed little bird droppings on the leaves, and I realized the little triangular shaped rips on the leaves must be from the triangular shape of the beak of the finches.

Within an hour I had one of those fine black bird net things intended for a fruit tree, covering all 3 rows of peas. Sure enough, now my peas took off and grew gangbusters, right up until they tried to poke out through the top of the net, where the finches could get them. The net meant my daughter and I had to crawl under the net between the rows to pick the peas, but this year we got a bumper crop of peas. Sugar snap, Japanese pod peas, and regular old garden peas, they all did well.

All those years, I guess those little guys are shy enough they would always fly away before I could get close enough to the garden to see them without my glasses. I've heard birds can have collective memory about food sources, I guess the first year or two of my garden, they were just discovering this new food source. Well now that the mystery has been solved, next year I'm planning to put up some kind of a hoop house to hold the bird netting up high enough over the pea patch so that I can walk upright to get in there to pick and weed. (Since I won't be needing them next year, I've recycled my hardware cloth teepees and made gutter protectors out of them to keep the leaves from clogging my gutters)

I hope maybe my long story will help someone else have a little success with peas in less than the 8 years it's taken me to solve this puzzle.

Bruce

Comments (19)

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

NICE!!

• the_farmers_wife
    14 years ago

Wow! What detective work and determination! Congrats on getting to the bottom of it!

• cshemeta_comcast_net
    12 years ago

Help me!! Similar problem...3 years growing peas, year one was GREAT - snow pea bounty! 2nd year a rodent (I can see the hole in the garden where he burrows in) started chopping the entire plant, just at the base, one fatal blow and the plant is gone. It's starting again. I'm trying deer off, and I'll try digging out his hole...ideas anyone?

Just started my warfare when I discovered 20% of my crop gone last night. Flowers have just started on the plants, too!! ARRGH

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Wow, Bruce! Thanks for the story! I planted at least 3 dozen peas, and have only 3 or 4 plants to show for it. Some would break through the soil then slowly disappear. Like you, my first year or two were productive, but it gets worse every year, and I've even used bean inoculant with little to no success. I've been assuming it was some kind of insect damage, but now you have given me another possibility. It's too late for this year's crop, but maybe I'll invest in some bird netting for next year.

Clare, if you are losing the entire plant at the base, I would suspect cutworms. They chew through the stem like a beaver, and the whole plant comes down. I slide a wooden skewer down the stem of each plant, but I've also heard of people slitting a piece of a drinking straw and wrapping that around the base of the stem.

Bonnie

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh! I had to read ahead to find out whodunnit! What a great recounting of your frustration. So glad you finally found the answer! Good laugh!

• angiemomma4
    12 years ago

Know this is an old thread but I wanted to mention that I am having such a huge problem with house finches DECIMATING my plants that I will not even be able to replant them in time. I waited too long, thinking it was something else. Put up fences---duh, finches fly. Etc. So do yourself a favor and just tent the plants somehow for as long as you can and maybe that will solve a problem for you too.

Angie

• bob_in_colorado
    12 years ago

Try a moving owl, move it periodically...

Try one of those motion activated sprinklers they use to repel deer...

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I'd planted some pepper seedlings into 5 gallon containers and had them in the greenhouse by the door. Something was nibbling the leaves, killing them. Couldn't figure out what it was, grasshopper? In February?

And then saw the culprit - Chipmunk - out early due to warm weather.

• shangle1
    9 years ago

I have been Going crazy with this and have had netting over the plants but, had a couple of holes in the netting. I am going to go fix it right now.

• solarays
    7 years ago

I too have been trying to find who's been eating my peas... but this thing is eating them at night. Breaking the little sprouts clean off and leaving them on the ground to spite me. They are digging up my pea seeds in the soil and eating them! Through a tented bird net. I think it's squirrels but have yet to see the culprit. Grrr so angry this is the third time I've replanted this year and I'm giving up. On the other hand, I have a brand new Almond tree I just planted into the ground and something was shredding the leaves like you said: finches as well! Can't for the life of me find this behavior described with Almond trees. I thought the leaves had slight cyanide toxin in them. But yes, I have metal mesh wrapped 360 around my tree because of finches. :(

• Laura (Z5a Fort Collins, Colorado)
    6 years ago

So glad you solved your mystery!

On another note: for many seasons I've had a bird feeder station with tons of house finches/goldfinches/house sparrows/etc. just a few feet away from my veggie beds planted with peas, without any noticeable losses. It sounds as though the birds in your area are hungry for protein, as nesting season's underway. Now they've learned to eat a handy alternative when insect populations are low: your poor peas! It sounds counter-intuitive, but offering them a feeder filled with oily black sunflower seeds might keep losses to a minimum. In my experience, they'd much rather have enticing, easy-to-get fatty seeds than the so-so peas.

Other people's mileage may vary, of course. Since pea-prospecting is a learned behavior, bird netting is currently your best bet until the next few generations "forget" this food source.

Best wishes for your garden,

L

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    6 years ago

I didn't comment on this (yet ;o).

One critter I suspected doing damage to newly sprouted seedlings has been magpies. I've never caught them doing it, however.

Bean raids, I think I was rightly convinced is cottontail bunnies. The more prevalent the bunnies, the more likely that I will lose a bunch of bean seedlings.

Funny about swapping sunflower seeds for peas! We plant a lot of sunflowers and, at first, they would emerge - & disappear! Nearly, every one. So, we tried starting them a few weeks early in the greenhouse. The sunflower seed goes in those tray inserts ... I think 128/flat. Works to transplant, altho a few may still be taken.

I'm not so inclined to blame a bird or birds for the sunflower loss. Ya know what? I think it's the bunnies, again! Very thorough ...

Steve

• Cynthia Sinnema
    4 years ago

Those little field mice have been getting my peas...they are so hard to control...grr! Might have to get a barn cat!

• HU-202370279
    3 years ago

Sprinkle garlic around base of plant. Nothing likes it granulated lasts longer than power

• HU-780048536
    3 years ago

If you make a blend of peppermint oil and citronella oil it will have a unpleasant discharging smell to birds but a pleasant smell to humans and its ok to our touch.

• Joan Parker
    2 years ago

thank you! I found I could grow peas just fine on back screened in porch and had tried some of the things you did but it has still been happening now that I know I will be drawing the net over and peg it down. I've been blaming moles or voles and got sun activated mole repellers. Joan, Carlisle,MA

• Stacey Martin
    2 years ago

Thank you! I live in FTCO too and I could not figure out what was eating my sugar snap peas. I would have almost triangle shaped bites out of the leaves and beans. I also live on a ditch and thought it was rodents or insects. I never could see anything other than a earwig or two on the plants. I was googling grasshopper damage when I found your post.

• ditnc
    2 years ago

I‘ve been waiting for my peas to sprout. Yesterday I finally decided to dig down and see what‘s happening. They are gone! How does a bird, squirrel, *whatever* know where they're buried? There's barely any disruption in the containers in which I planted them!! And in one pot, theyre coming up nicely, but I JUST NOW checked and something bit the sprout off at its base. Grrr. So frustrating.