Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (6)

• mla2ofus
    11 years ago

Eliminate the adds that cover the posts and won't let you remove them. I realize the ads are necessary but it would be nice not to have them shoved down your throat
    because of the ads I would never buy from the company anyway just because of the irratation.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

The in-text ads are obnoxious beyond description! When they first showed up at least it was possible to "disable" them, but even that doesn't work anymore! When I go to the Vibrant site and click "disable" I DO get a Vibrant COOKIE--but it doesn't disable anything! Probably just one more uninvited tracking cookie!

There's been very little activity here on RMG for quite some time now. I don't know if the ads have anything to do with it or not, but FOR ME the nasty in-text ads that suddenly block what you're trying to read if you accidentally mouse over them make me FAR less likely to use RMG!

For most sites I happen upon that have in-text advertising, I X out and never go back. I was a member of GW for some time before it was taken over by iV, and the only reason I come back to RMG since the in-text ads showed up is that I have friends here and I don't want to lose touch with them--but the nasty in-text ads--that can't even be disabled anymore--often make me go "I don't want to have to deal with that" when I think about reading or posting on GW.

I'd hate to lose contact with the fun folks here in our Friendly Little Forum, but as people slowly start dropping out it's starting to look more and more like that might happen!

P.S. When I was reading your message above I ACCIDENTALLY moused over the "search engine" active link and got a BIG, NASTY, BING AD---so I couldn't keep reading without waiting for it to go away or taking the time to x out of it---just not worth it!! And that was AFTER I had "disabled" them and refreshed it! And I WAY agree with mla2ofus, I would NEVER buy anything from any of the people that make my online experience so awful!

-------------------------------

Come on RMG folks! Tell 'em what you think!

-------------------------------

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Ditto on the ads being a nuisance! I especially don't like the ones the grow bigger - they also seem to take over when you are trying to scroll down the page.

But overall, I do like the GW forum - there are a lot of good resource groups available, which is really nice. Understand you have to have ads to make money off of the site, but it would be really nice if you could keep them from being so annoying. It does make some people stop using the site because of it :(

Marj

• digit
    11 years ago

Tamara Amey, GardenWeb Community Manager, you kind of asked for it and the ads are really irritating.

~ If those "beating a dead horse" smileys weren't so off-putting, I'd insert one here. ~

To "think big" - is there something beyond html that GardenWeb can get to? Is that the problem with putting in something as simple as a degree sign? I mean, gardeners do tend to talk about the weather a lot.

I have really had to invest a lot of time just to learn how to underline something! It has been fun but most people aren't interested in hours & hours of research & practice so that they can post a picture! Thank Heavens, you just installed that GW picture upload!
    In a couple weeks, I will have been a GW member for ten years.

I am very appreciative of GardenWeb! However, add up the time that I have taken trying to learn how to bring color to my writing, highlight something, or just put in an in text link. Wow! I bet you could count several days of work!

And, I bet most folks would like to find all of that a little easier to do.

Steve

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• digit
    11 years ago