Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late for thyme?

Posted by xericgreen Z5 Bennett, CO (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 16:47

Hi,

I am just east of Aurora in Bennett, CO and was hoping to get in a 'pink chintz' thyme lawn this weekend before it gets too cold but; I just got a reply from my supplier and he won't be able to get me the thyme I ordered until late October.

Does anyone think I should go ahead and plant them then, or should I have him just send them in the spring? I just want to get this yard of bare dirt covered with thyme as fast as possible, but I don't want to kill the plants trying to rush things!

If you all have any advice on the matter, please let me know so I can defer my order or let them go ahead and ship when the product becomes available in late October!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late for thyme?

Very quick reply! I'm about to leave!

When you first asked, you were talking about early October. Late October could be very, very nice--or it could be cold and awful! Since it sounds to me like you can't really count on your supplier to get them there when they say they will, and you might not actually get them until sometime into November, I think I'd tell them to either cancel or hold off on the order till spring. Chances are the weather would be nice enough that you'd be able to plant them this fall yet, but what would you do with them if you couldn't! Keeping them inside over winter isn't really a viable option, and you'd probably wind up buying more next spring if you tried. (Keeping one or two inside might work, but not a whole bunch of them---without a greenhouse.)

So it just depends on how game you are to take a chance and see when they really ship them, when you receive them, and what the weather is like when you're ready to plant them!

If you got them in spring, you could get them very early (March), harden them off, and plant them out then.

Gotta go,
Skybird

o
RE: Is it too late for thyme?

Skybird,

Thanks for the help! I went with what you said. I am just too big a wimp to plant in the fall anyway. I guess I have to wait till spring.

-xericgreen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here