Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Did You Grow Anything for the Neighbors?

digit
9 years ago

Did you grow anything for the neighbors this year?

Steve :o)

Comments (11)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    9 years ago

Nice punkin'!
    Not neighbors, but co-workers. In August and September we did a produce exchange once a week at work with people bringing their extras in to share. Someone even brought fresh eggs. It was fun! We're talking about doing a seed swap over the winter.

Not quite what you were after Steve, but that's all I've got!

Barb

• digit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yes it was what I "was after," 'Barb! All of that is great for any group.

I think I'll have enuf candy for Halloween. The littlest kids will be out early. I'm wondering if some of these 20-somethings in the neighborhood would like a pumpkin for their porches. I ain't got much advice for what they might do with it indoors ...

It has been another good punkin year! Lots of sunshine and heat - here I am with more than I wanted - especially in the way of pounds. A recipe for Half-moon Bay pumpkin bread only accounts for a couple of cups. Winter squash makes much better pumpkin pie, imo. This is true also with cream of pumpkin soup. I don't care much for zucchini but I thought substituting pumpkin for zucchini with tuna in a soup recipe was pretty good. Apparently the only one around here who thought so ...

Steve

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

LOL, pumpkin and tuna in a soup?!?!?! hee heee :-)
    I had 4 pumpkins last year, put ALL of their seeds into a huge garden, only ONE vine sprouted, and it never got pollinated . . . I was so sad . . . but it was mostly because it was a new house, didn't know the bed was so shaded but soon found out once all the leaves were out . . . now I know better. I wish I could grow all the really cool varieties!!!

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    9 years ago

We grow something for our 3 adjoining neighbors every year. They get excesses from all of our bumper crops and now eggs too from our new chickens. It's their reward for putting up with me being out in the yard all day long.

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

Our tomatoes are always popular. We start getting hints in early August.

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

I shared some of our Black Krims with people at work. One co-worker really loved them, and harvested the seeds to grow some himself next year :)

I didn't get around to planting pumpkins this year, that is until I thought about it in mid-August or so. I decided I plant a couple of sugar pie pumpkin seeds in a pot I have on the front porch. It gets a lot of sun and heat up there, so thought they might do ok even if in a pot and not the ground. I knew it was late to start them, but there might be just enough time to get one of two by Halloween - even if small. Got a couple of vines growing and noticed that weren't any bees around to pollinate the flowers. So I hand pollinated myself - never have done that before, so had to google it! Didn't actually get too many female flowers, though, for some reason - so waiting for them to appear gave another late start on the pumpkins as well. I have two or three tiny pumpkin babies at the base of their flowers, but definitely not looking like they are growing much. I like the way the vine looks along with the Halloween decorations, so at least it good for that! I'll start earlier next year!!

Love your idea for a produce swap, Barb!

Marj

• margaretmontana
    9 years ago

Most of my garden was shared this year. Senior Center got several batches of candied parsnips that I prepared, several batches of spinach, 6 weeks of lettuces, cherry tomatoes and2 boxes of apples that I helped peel for the freezer. Food bank got 2 months of kale, 2 weeks spinach, several bags of Anaheim peppers and jalapeños. Friends and neighbors got a lot of tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, chard,carrots, cabbage,corn,cukes, green beans,plums and pears. Probably will not have much of a garden next year. Have a hip replacement in December so will have to see how that goes.

• margaretmontana
    9 years ago

Forgot those boxes of squash!

• digit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, Margaret, that is a lot shared!

You are up late/early. I'm not. I'm just hoping to adjust to the time change coming up soon. I don't know what the neighbors think of my early hours. Only one has commented about seeing me out in the yard at 4am during the summer. There is no reason for that now.

A few years ago, I had a garden where there were summer water restrictions. I would pass a guy going in the opposite direction on the mornings I drove over to run sprinklers. At 4:15am, week after week, he would be driving without headlights! I could never get the entire garden watered before noon but no one turned me in ... guess they didn't want to see me out there before 4, with a flashlight!

Here is wishing You the Best in December and in 2015.

Steve

• chellers
    9 years ago

I had a pattypan squash plant that took off like crazy, so I shared that with neighbors and everyone else who would take them. :)

• Lizyliz Best
    9 years ago

Planted cuc's, pear tomatoes, and pie pumpkins for the small children who walk my block to elementary school. They even watered. So much fun!