Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moderate success with watermelon landrace

Posted by keen101 4b-5a Loveland, CO (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 19:29

Just thought i'd let anyone here know that my experiment with creating and growing my own watermelon landrace this year in Colorado seems to have been moderately successful. I look forward to seeing how it turns out in future years.

I posted some info about the results on my blog and my website.

http://keen101.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/success-with-watermelon-landrace-in-colorado/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moderate success with watermelon landrace

Another interesting idea, Andrew.

I've been thinking about this landrace thing since September when you talked about your corn mix in the garden. I don't think I could do this with corn since I have to deal with too many varieties of sweet corn. Then, that calico corn sneaks over and causes problems. Even separated by about 35 feet, I had a few dark kernels in some of the nearest sweet corn to that tiny patch of flour corn!

Melons might be an idea. The watermelons are all one species and all genetically separate from the other melons/cukes/etc.

Where it might be useful and fun is with my choices of Cucurbita maxima winter squashes. Okay, if I'm not really happy with the fruit shape of Burgess Buttercup but appreciate its reliability and earliness - why not allow its genes to run merrily thru the meadow with some Kabocha varieties??!

. . .

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here