Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
blood meal is attracting my dog

Posted by mstywoods zn 5 - Westminster, (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 19:29

Have any of you who have a dog used blood meal in your garden? Well, wished I had googled 'blood meal and dogs' BEFORE I sprinkled some around the new flower bed I made, trying to discourage the rabbits from nipping off the leaves of my strawberry plants! Now that I did, I've discovered my dog is attracted to it - never occurred to me, but makes sense NOW. And now I'm reading that it is toxic to them, and can cause diarrhea, vomiting, etc. :(

I'm thinking if I hose down the bed it will cut down the smell. I'm not sure what else I can do. I did put up a wire fence around the area before I put down the blood meal, but she can stick her head through, and could probably slip through the openings. May have to wrap something else around it for a day or two.

Marj

This post was edited by mstywoods on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 8:57


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: blood meal is attracting my dog

I used to mix steamed bone meal, blood meal and ashes as my attempt at a balanced and "high power" organic fertilizer.

Applying ashes directly to the garden without a soil test turned out to be not a good idea here. Potassium and pH are quite high and a little experiment on half a bed of onions really impeded their growth. Still, ashes may discourage your dog and may be fine for your soil.

I stopped doing anything with blood meal not only because I decided I shouldn't mix ashes with it but because the stuff I could buy was so dusty! I suspected that it just might be too risky to my health.

There are commercial organic fertilizers that use ingredients that include blood meal. I have used those in my garden. Oh, and the ashes: I decided that after sitting for a couple weeks in a metal bucket, they could go in my compost. I no longer have a wood stove, however.

Steve


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here