Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david52_gw

Attention weather hounds

david52 Zone 6
15 years ago

I dunno if everyone can get this now, but I now have a way cool NOAA clickable map from their web site, that would appear to use elevation and exposure for more of a "micro-climate" forecast. Moving the cursor around this 20 x 20 mile frame, I get different forecast readings every time I click.

I've linked for my area, perhaps you can use the URL and figure out how to get to your neighborhood.

Here is a link that might be useful: noaa out of grand junction, co, specific for Chez '52

Comments (6)

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

That's a pretty cool site... I'll have to watch and see if it's pretty accurate for our area. All the other weather forecasts are for Colorado Springs, and it can be quite different out here, even though we're not far from town.
    Thanks!

• digit
    15 years ago

These google maps showed up on my local NOAA page just the other day. I was wondering how it was a step up.

NOAA puts so darn much on their website. Finding information can be baffling. It is great that they are taking the best and most user-freindly and getting it on the local forecast pages.

Thanks David!

digitSteve

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Thanks, I use that site for my weather, just did not know that I could change the positioning of the map to get more accurate data. Awesome.

Billie

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Very cool, David!

I've been wondering since we moved here, what our actual elevation is. It turns out we are just over 200 ft. higher than the official elevation for our town. It's not that it's enough to make any difference in the forecast, but it's just nice to know.

When we moved here our subdivision was so new it didn't even show up on Mapquest. Now, this NOAA map shows streets in our neighborhood that haven't even been completed yet!

Bonnie

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Hi guys,

The interactive maps have shown up in the last few weeks, and I believe they have them installed for pretty much all locations in the country by now. Before I leave on my trips I always check the weather wherever I'm going to see what I'm getting into (possible delay-wise), and the clickable maps have been everywhere I've looked recently. They've always had a little map down there that you could click on and HOPE to hit the right spot, but it's GREATLY improved and a LOT more easy to get down to the nitty-gritty specifics with the new version. I love the way you can scroll to zoom in and out and the way you can click on it and drag it to a different center. Now I can even easily find Jennifer's weather in Nederland---without having to put in her zip code! (I'm stalking you, Jennifer! hehehehehe!)

For anybody who wants to find themselves on NOAA and doesn't have a link in their favorites yet, here it is! Click on your part of whatever state, and then click on the town or approximate spot closest to you, and then you can localize it on the interactive map on the lower right.

Have fun,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA/National Weather Service

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

If it looks like there are no streets on the map in your area, keep zooming in. I didn't zoom far enough the first time.