Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloomingamaryllisrmg

Let's talk spring swap!

Ok..I admit I'm terrible. The season is ending and I'm already talking next season.

I'm seeking peonies. Would anyone have some at the spring swap?

Comments (30)

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Am I correct in thinking you're interested in named varieties, and not old common no-names? I'm afraid that's all I have.

I'm interested in clematis cuttings and veggies and will probably have extra tomato and squash plants again.

• bloomingamaryllisrmg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'd really love some of the single petal varieties. They don't have to be named. I just have the typical med-pink with thousands of petals.

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

I'd love to host the Spring Swap again if that works out for everyone.

I'm not as organized as Skybird, so you probably won't hear from me about it until March or April!

• bloomingamaryllisrmg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Works for me!! You are down the road Charlene.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    16 years ago

Yeah! YouÂre down the road from me, too, Charlene! Way, WAY down the road! But IÂd LOVE to come back to your house again to see the changes from this spring!

And, regarding organizedÂyou wouldnÂt have heard from me that early about the Fall Swap either if I hadnÂt gotten the email from Olegreymare that early!

Hope IÂm able to make it to the Spring Swap,
    Skybird

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Well, I know winter isn't even here yet, but I am looking forward to spring already, and I am going to do my best to make this one. Even if I don't have one more inch to plant another plant, I'd still like the chance to visit with other gardeners, and I'm sure I'll have stuff to bring. Plus, spending the day away from the children would be good for me in more ways than one, LOL!

Bonnie

• rozannadanna
    16 years ago

I am new to Colorado. Used to do rose swaps/cuttings/anything else swaps in Texas every few months. When and where is the spring swap planned.

16 years ago

Hi Rozanna,

Welcome to Colorado! (But whatÂs up with the "Wyoming" above?) And welcome to RMG!

It looks like the Spring Swap is going to be at CharleneÂs in Castle Rock like it was this year, but the date and time wonÂt be decided until sometime in early spring.

You probably donÂt want to read all of this, but if you want to kind of get a feel for the swaps we had this year, here are links to the swap threads.

Spring Swap

Fall Swap - Part I

Fall Swap - Part II

Fall Swap Pictures

And this is another after-swap thread with a few more pictures and even a recipe at the bottom.

I hope youÂre able to join us for future swaps,
    Skybird

• rozannadanna
    16 years ago

Skybird - well the Wyoming - to make a long story short - sons, who I work for, have a ranch in Wyoming and I spent lots of time there last summer and winter (2006) and still have to go back occasionally although my permanent base is in Denver now

and thanks for the information on the swaps

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Rozanna,
    Are you interested in more rose cuttings?

• rozannadanna
    16 years ago

Cnetter - rose cuttings and roses are like money - you can never have too many. I will be going to TX at Christmas and bringing back some of the cold hardy roses I have there to plant/trade/propogate. Bucks, Austins, hybrid musks and a few of the Antique Rose Emporium's Pioneer series which are supposed to be hardy to zone 5.

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Rozanna,
    I'll agree with you on the money part, but I'm filled up on roses. I'm not interested in trading, but don't mind giving away cuttings. If I have any you're interested in, let me know. My bushes are big and can handle lots of cuttings taken from them.

• rozannadanna
    16 years ago

cnetter - I will take anything right now. I will see how many I have after the rootings and then pass along any extras

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

I DO still plan to host a Spring Swap sometime in May. I'm thinking sometime in May like 5th-10th ? But we have a family reunion out of state sometime in May and I need to check when that exact date is.

Weekday again or Saturday? I'm open to either. Whatever works best for the majority.

:)
    Charlene

• jclepine
    16 years ago

Rozanna/Cnetter
    If a rose is not really hardy to one's zone, but is, say, hardy to the nearest zone, can't one just tuck it in for winter with mulch and won't it be okay?

I'm still new at this and last year I bought only super duper hardy roses. But I think if they are not really hardy, can't I just take better care of them during winter?

I'm looking forward to this swap and hope it is on a Saturday! :)

Jennifer

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Hi Charlene, good to hear from you!

Saturday is the best day for me as well. If it is on a weekday, my two older children have to be driven to and from their respective schools, so I wouldn't be able to make it.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what is decided.

Bonnie

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

We're planning a trip to Minnesota to visit my Mom in May. I guess I'll just have to plan it around the swap! :)

• gjmancini
    16 years ago

Weekends are better than weekdays. Cant wait.

• foxes_garden
    16 years ago

I moved here April last year. My house had a lot of landscaping, and some of it's really ready for some thinning, so I'd be happy to grab some stuff and bring it down to the swap. I've got variegated iris (pale purple flower with green and cream striped leaves) if anyone would like some. Also various daffodils and daylilies, but I'll have to mark those this year for the following year's swap since I won't remember which colors were in which location. I should be able to dig up a couple of my extra raspberry vines, which are a really tasty golden variety.

There's a couple rosebushes here that survived the previous owners (about 4-5 years of neglect) and still produced gorgeous blooms. If I can figure out how to take cuttings I'll bring some along as well.

And even though parts of the yard are full to bursting with all kinds of plants, I've got a big bare spot right in back where I had to take out some sick pinyon pines, and another bare sunny spot in front where I think the previous owner took out a juniper a couple years ago. So I'll be happy if I can bring back an armload of new stuff to try!

-Francesca (maintainer of the foxes' garden)

16 years ago

Hi Fellow Swappers,

IÂm just gonna check in here quickly so you all donÂt think I dried up and blew away!

I donÂt think anybody needs to wonder, but, yes, if IÂm off when the Spring Swap happens, IÂll be there with bells onÂand as much stuff as I have time to start or dig up.

And for anyone who hasnÂt been to a swap yet, and who may be reading this but thinks they canÂt come because they donÂt have anything to bring, IÂm going to add this again: If you feel like you canÂt come because you donÂt have anything to bring, youÂre wrong! Bring your gardenerÂs smileÂand dirty hands! If you have a lot of stuff, come! If you only have a couple things, come! And if you donÂt have anything, come! ThereÂs always plenty to go around!

Sure hope I have the right day off,
    Skybird

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Thanks for saying that Skybird (do you know in advance what your flying schedule is in May?).

Please don't feel like you have to bring anything to participate! I've participated in two swaps so far and there is more than enough (and lots of extras!) to go around. It's fun just to meet other fellow garden geeks (speaking of myself, of course) :)

I know it's early yet, but May is looking busy already for my family, so I thought I'd put a few Saturday dates out there and see what's best for most people and get it on the calendar. I can't do May 17th soooo how about......

May 3rd
    or
    May 10th (this is Mother's Day weekend)

Probably early afternoon around 1pm. Potluck.

Looking forward to it!
    Charlene

• gjmancini
    16 years ago

Probably will have a better turnout 1st weekend of May, if the second weekend is Mothers day weekend. I say go for May 3rd.

Gloria

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Gloria,

You're probably right, but I am kind of looking at the trip as a Mother's Day present to myself, so I'll plan on coming whichever weekend you guys decide. I'll be leaving all three children with my husband for a whole day, for the first time. He may even develop a new appreciation for all of my hard work : )

Just being able to talk (in person) about gardening, with someone who's eyes don't glaze over, LOL, will be a treat.

Bonnie

• gjmancini
    16 years ago

Amen to that.

16 years ago

Hi Charlene,

I donÂt get my schedule until about the 18th of the month before, so, like I said last year, you pick a date, and IÂll keep my fingers crossed. May will be my "reserve" month, which means IÂll be more likely to be able to get the day/days off that I want, and the DEN domicile has gotten a bunch of new hires since last spring, which means my seniority has gone up, and since the "lines" are awarded by seniority that also makes it somewhat more likely that I can get the "line" I want. When the time comes, IÂll do what I can to try to make it happen. I really want to see what youÂve done down there since last year.

MayÂs not TOO far away, is it?

Skybird

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Okay, so our family reunion is finally set in stone (I thought it was before but this time it really is because tickets & airfare have been purchased!) and has been changed to Mother's Day weekend.

So now the dates I have available for the Spring Swap in May are:

May 3rd
    or
    May 17th

Once we get the date in stone, I'll start a new post with the date in the subject line.

I don't know about everybody else but the time is flying by so far this year and May WILL be here before we know it!

Looking forward to seeing everyone :)

Charlene

16 years ago

I vote for the 17th! No, I still don't know what days I'll have off, but I usually have slightly more control over the days after the very beginning (or before the very end) of the month.

Either way, I'll do my best to be there,
    Skybird

• loveseeds
    16 years ago

I'm new to Colorado, the climate, and lack of water. I'm learning fast and planting like crazy. There wasn't much in the way of gardens when we bought the house, but I'd love to share what I have and see what everyone else has to share.

• catladysgarden
    16 years ago

I would like to attend. I have to choose my days off 3 months at a time and we will soon be asked to choose for Apr-May-June. Hope you'll be able to set a date soon so I'll be sure to be off.
    Karen

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

Okay then let's do Saturday, May 17th !!!!!!

SPRING SWAP IS SATURDAY, MAY 17th

Let's start a new thread with the date in the subject line.

Yay!!!

Charlene