Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If not Grass what else?

Posted by aloha2009 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 21:52

Though I am not using any grass in the backyard, I'd like a "restful" look that grass tends to give on the interior and keep the flowers on the perimeter. We've considered a tiny bit of grass but the hassle of dragging down a flight of stairs to reach a tiny bit of grass just didn't pass the lower maintenance plan we have envisioned.

That said, I need something as NEAT and TIDY as possible but it doesn't have to endure walking upon. It needs to look nice the entire summer and once established it would be nice to have it look nice mid spring to mid fall. I've considered just putting bark in the area but if at all possible I'd like to have it green/colorful.

I've seen some pics of some things, but I don't know how some of these things may hold up in Colorado.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If not Grass what else?

Ajuga, kinnikinnick, and creeping thyme are all that are jumping out at me right now. What kind of sun does the area get and will you be watering?

Barb

o

Thanks for the ideas treebarb.

The area will get full sun for quite a few years and then dappled shade once the Seven Sons Flower has matured.

Though I've heard of kinnikinnick, I don't think I've ever seen it IRL. I did some reading per your suggestion of the plant and it sounds almost too perfect. Is there anything that makes it undesirable? I read that it's readily available, but I've never noticed it before. I'll have an area about 12' x 8' to fill in so I need a lot. The pics though have piqued my interest.

o

Kinnikinnick grows aaaalll over in the forests of Canada & the northern US. A pretty plant, I'm not sure how well it competes with weeds but it might be okay in that regard.

Have I missed it in the garden centers? Cotoneaster is everywhere but kinnikinnick is a friendlier plant, it seems to me.

I've got 2 varieties of sedum in the yard. I'm not terribly fond of either. One is that Fine Gold Leaf but I don't know what the other is. That other one can sure out-compete the strawberry plants under a backyard tree . . .

Steve

o

My personal favorite is Veronica prostrata. It's thick enough to keep out weeks, has a lovely leaf and turns into a carpet of periwinkle blue in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veronica prostrata

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here