Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2012 Garlic Planted

Posted by elkwc 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 22:34

I finished up this evening. I ended up with at least 350' of garlic planted. Maybe a little more. Not sure on clove count. I planted most 8 inches apart. I planted different than I have in the past. 3 rows together 8-10 inches apart and the cloves on all varieties but the elephant approx. 8 inches apart. The elephant garlic is 10 inches apart in all directions. Several of the bulbs of it were medium to large undivided bulbs. All of the elephant bulbs stored well and appear very healthy. I culled alot of the other varieties. I attribute it too the way I stored them. Will change next year. If I have poor emergence on any variety I will just buy elephant garlic from the grocery store and fill in the blanks. I will use it as I can readily tell it apart from anything else I grow. I planted more varieties this year than last year as I was able to obtain some varieties that I wanted to grow. I'm concentrating on varieties with 4 cloves but no more than 8. I did plant 2 that has more than eight. I planted the following varieties. Elephant, Rosewood, Zemo, Brown Saxon(Hot), Keeper(Hot), Khabar, Old Homestead(OK heirloom.2nd chance),Musica(2nd chance), Bogatyr, Elmer's Topset, Nesenkeag, Colorado Purple(hint of sweetness), Chamisal Wild(rich flavor,NM heirloom), Metechi(heat), Red Estonian, Ayacucho, German Hardneck, Penasco Blue, Santa Fe Rocambole, K's Backyard Pskem, Nesenkeag, Elmer's Topset, Korean Mountain(heat and full flavor)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2012 Garlic Planted

I planted mine about a month ago, but our irrigation water was off, and only half the bed had moist soil. So last week, I noticed that the cloves planted where the soil was moist were already showing green. I had to drag hoses out and soak the rest of the bed, and this weekend, I managed to get the bed covered with a good 6" layer of leaves and grass clippings.

Over the past few years, I've grown two varieties - Music and Tochliavri. The latter grows huge heads - 4" in dia isn't uncommon - but the cloves aren't that big: a ring of decent sized ones outside a core of small skinny ones. It makes great gifts and people love it in the farmers market, but for home use, its a pain in the neck. The Music is so much better. Four - 6 huge cloves, easy to peel, keeps forever. So this year, thats all I planted.

Jay, do you soak them in and mulch? IOW, how do you keep the soil moist enough?

o
RE: 2012 Garlic Planted

I had been meaning to plant mine but hadn't got around to it. Tonight it started raining and I decided Enough Already!

Ran out in the rain and planted some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here