Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

We need some flowers around here!

Hi all,

Well its beginning to look a lot like Christmas outside, and itÂs been a long time since anybodyÂs posted any flower questions or picture threads (except for BonnieÂs BRIGHT cosmos on the "trouble" thread) around here, so IÂm gonna post a bunch of flower pictures! I just feel like flowers right now!

HereÂs a cool one to start with! ItÂs Campanula persicifolia, peachleaf bellflower. This stuff has semi-evergreen foliage and in spring of Â08 it was looking pretty ratty so I cut it all down (you all know about my propensity for cutting things down!) Well, apparently I cut it down at EXACTLY the "right" timeÂand it never bloomed in Â08! This year, even tho the foliage looked ratty, I just left it like that, and let the new foliage grow out over the ratty looking stuff, and this is what I got:

From Garden - 2009 thru June
When I donÂt mess with it too much, it really is spectacularÂand it even does well in my not-really-enough sun!

Lamium maculatum ÂPink Pewter on May 5th! Might I be thinking SPRING here?

Some of my many Dianthus barbatus, Sweet Williams

Some of the Aquilegia chrysantha growing down the side of my deck. I finally got enough of them this year that I could actually smell them up on the deck a few times this year!

Last year for the hollyhocks! When the weather gets nice enough again, theyÂre out of here so I have a place to put the daylilies and iris I got at the Fall Swap!

From Garden - 2009 July to Fall

ÂBecky Shasta daisyÂwhich bloomed pretty well even tho I dug and divided it just before the Spring Swap this year.

A new little Lewisia I got this year!

Zauschneria californica I got at the Spring Swap last yearÂÂ08! In another year this stuff is gonna be spreading all over the place and IÂll be giving it away at the swaps!

Platycodon grandiflorus ÂSentimental BlueÂ, dwarf balloon flower. I think I actually bought this oneÂand itÂs finally starting to look pretty good!

Rudbeckia fulgida ÂGoldsturm I got at the Â07 Fall Swap. It took a while, but this stuff is starting to spread a lot, and IÂll have a few small ones at the Â10 Spring Swap!

A new, summer blooming hardy cyclamen I got last year. CanÂt remember the species right now!

Some of the many lavender seedlings that come up in the front flower bed each year  Lavandula angustifolia, English Lavender.

And one more! Hibiscus moscheutos ÂDisco Belle PinkÂ

Ok! Just one more! It IS almost spring, isnÂt it?

Crocus chrysanthus, species crocus  February 25, 2009

OK! Who else has some flower pictures around here?

We (I!) need flowers right now!

Skybird

Comments (11)

• jclepine
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

As usual, everything looks great! I almost passed out (well, not really) and thought "no way, no fair!" until I realized they were not recent pictures.

hee hee, is it snowing out your way?

J.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well theyre all from 2009, girl! Lets see! This is from October 3rd. Is that recent enough. And I bet its still blooming under the snow! I cant believe how this stuff just keeps blooming, and blooming, and blooming. Even the 19 degree nite didnt seem to phase it! Its Campanula rotundifolia, Bluebells of Scotland. I got it from somebody at one of the swaps, but Im not sure who!

I didnt get a whole lot of snow here in Thornton. It might have been 6-8", but its a little bit hard to judge because the ground was so warm that it kept melting from the bottom as it was adding up on the top! It had pretty much stopped by midnite last nite and never really got going again. How much did you get out in Nederland?

Skybird

• jclepine
    14 years ago

We didn't get that much either but I'd say at least eight inches.

The only things that continue to bloom for me are the pansies! They could go on forever I think.

thanks to winter, I'm back to sewing obsessively.

I hope you're having fun too!

J.

• colokid
    14 years ago

I thought for a minute you meant "office flowers". We all ways need them, especially on cold snow days. About 10 inches here was a nice snow, but they can keep the cold. Its not Colorado unless the sun is shining.
    KennyP

• gjcore
    14 years ago

I don't have any pictures to post right now but a few mums are still hanging on and a couple English Daisies are still flowering. I planted couple dozen winter hardy pansies yesterday.

Indoors I have johnny jump ups that are flowering. I probably started them too early indoors but they'll probably be okay if I move them to bigger pots until springtime.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi guys,

I was just looking for some pretty flower picturesbesides my own, all of which Ive already seen. They dont need to be ones that are blooming right now. Just something pretty to give my psyche a boost! Or how about a pretty sunset, or a forest, or a tundra scene.......

Need something pretty right now,
    Skybird

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I wanted to post a few pictures to this thread, but I think everyone's seen all of mine before!

Well ... maybe just a couple, LOL!

Zinnia 'Highlight'
    {{gwi:284569}}

Nicotiana 'Domino Lime Green'
    {{gwi:284568}}

I know I've posted this one before, but I just love it!
    Rudbeckia 'Irish Eyes' with Achillea 'Walter Funke'

For those of you that like something a little less bright, it's Achillea 'Anthea' with Delosperma kelaidis 'Mesa Verde'

... and one more Salpiglossis 'Royale Chocolate'
    {{gwi:284567}}

I didn't take as many late summer/early fall pictures this year, so I just don't have anything new to share.

Bonnie

Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Theyre beautiful, Bonnie! I really needed that! Thank you! I had pretty much given up on this thread!

I love the Rudbeckia/Achillea one too. Great composition and color! And, wow, is your Mesa Verde ever bigger and better than mine! Ive been planning to do it, but now I REALLY need to get minewhich in heavy clay with not enough sunmoved to a new place where it can take off like yours. And your annuals are great tooboth the flowers and the pictures!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Skybird

• jnfr
    14 years ago

I had some nice flowers before the hail storms. I'm not fond of trumpetvine generally because it's so invasive, but it's awfully pretty when in bloom.

And looking at this photo reminds me that we had tons of ladybugs this year, which was wonderful.

I did love my squash blossoms. They're tasty too.

And here's a Showy Milkweed. They grow wild all around the edges of the yard.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Jennifer. Theyre all great! I love the ladybugs! And I like trumpet vine too, and wish I had an extra acre to put one in. Do you get hummingbirds on yours? Great lite showing off the pretty squash blossom, and thats a wonderful closeup of the butterfly weed. Have you ever noticed either butterflies or the larvae on them?

Thank you for helping to brighten my day,
    Skybird

• jnfr
    14 years ago

I haven't seen many butterflies around, a swallowtail now and then but they don't stay. Same with the hummers - I hear them, but they zip right through. Our back yard is on a busy street, and I haven't had the cash to make a more protected space of it. I will eventually, though!

We get lots of finches, some chickadees, flickers and even downy woodpeckers occasionally. Lots of stuff passes through to Standley Lake, but I need more seclusion, I think, to get many species to hang around.