Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Let the Games Begin - Catalogs 2011

I just ran out to get the mail in, and could hardly believe it when I saw the Pinetree catalog! Not that I'm complaining, but they come earlier and earlier every year! Seems to me the catalogs didn't used to start coming till after the first of the year!

This is a REALLY dangerous time of the year! Time to find my helmet! And maybe freeze my credit card in an ice cube!!!

Did somebody else around here mention that they had gotten a catalog already?

Skybird

Comments (60)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Even though I spend a lot of time looking through their catalogs, I find Johnny's and Territorial to be too expensive.

Sometimes. But my seed quality from them is much better than others. The batch I got from Totally Tomatoes several years ago was hit or miss and I had one pepper var that I had to throw away due to the quality, so the savings was wiped out from one packet being bad. Never had that problem from either Johnny's or Territorial.

Dan

• elkwc
    13 years ago

I quit counting catalogs at ten. I have received a few duplicates. I have bought from over 35 sources over the last 5-6 years. Overall I've had good results. It seems every year there will some issue with something. Usually minor. There is only a couple of sources I would hesitate to order from again. I've only had a couple of what I call major problems. The credit card fiasco with Johnny's and another source not sending seeds I ordered or returning my money. That happened on 3 orders before I quit ordering from them. I don't need any seeds really. I do order a few that I can't resist trying every year. Also order my onion plants from Dixondale who has their site updated and catalog out. Potatoes from Ronniger's.

I placed an order with Johnny's recently as I like to order my seeds early for a few reasons. This is my first order with them since the credit card fiasco. Hopefully they have improved customer service and learned from that experience. At present about half my order is on back order. So hopefully they will all arrive soon. Yes they are a little higher and also many times them and Harris Seeds sell in bigger volumes than most gardeners need.

We all judge a seed or garden company on the results we have had personally. I have ordered from Totally Tomatoes for over ten years. Two years ago I had one variety they never got seeds for. Other than that I've always had great germination and good quality seeds with great customer service.

The varying results we each have is why I hesitate to recommend seed sources. When I order I want a specific variety and don't want any substitutions. I always state that. And so I judge a company different than many do. I also am willing to pay a little more if I can find a specific variety. Considering it is an op I will save seeds and never have to order again. I do enjoy reading and looking at all of the catalogs. Jay

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Let me put in a plug again for Sandhill Preservation, which is, shall we say, 'different' than your standard seed company. I used to get a paper catalog, but no longer. I think they still don't take credit cards or phone orders. And be patient. Write it out by hand, and send 'em a check. It can take 6 weeks for your order to arrive.

Anyway, copious amounts of seeds in each packet, free shipping on all orders over $10 bucks, and they usually throw in a freebee.

They're in it to preserve species diversity, not to get rich.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• billie_ladybug
    13 years ago

Jay - I've looked, studied even - the Dixondale catalog. Thought long and hard about ordering from them, and procrastinated. If you like them enough to order from them every year, I guess I will give them a try.

Completely agree with the personal experience thing too. It only takes one bad "seed" for a years long customer to walk away. Does not matter of the bad seed is a seed or just a bad experience with a representative. I just had that this morning with a 4-letter word for a computer company (no really, their name is 4-letters!!) I just called to ask them to stop sending 5 catalogs to us for people who no longer work with us. The guy just told me he couldn't do it (he did not want to) and when I asked for a supervisor, I was put on hold for 25 minutes, did not get a supervisor, but I got someone who was actually willing to help. I would think long and hard though about buying a new computer from that 4-letter company.

Oh well, back to the wish list. I guess I will have to look and see what Sandhill has too.

Billie

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Last year, I bought about 5000 'Candy" onion seeds from the HP folks for the price of one bundle from Dixondales. I planted seed in two trays in February, trimmed them down to 150 plants using scissors, and they grew to be just as big as the ones bought from Dixondale. They did seem to mature a bit earlier though - 1st of august, I started pulling them. There are about 40 lbs in the store room as we speak.

This year, I'll start them in January so they're a bit larger when I plant them out. Most of the packet is left, and I really should put them in the freezer.

This is about as easy as growing grass (

• billie_ladybug
    13 years ago

David - what type of grass are we talking about here (wink wink?)

I started my onion seed too early last year, I think. By the time I could plant them out, they were badly root bound. Maybe it was something else, I will try again this year, but I think I will order some as a back up plan. I hate not having things and having to buy onions (almost $5 a bag!!)

Here's to big dreams and reality checks!!

Billie

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Why, Mam, I have NO IDEA what ya'alls talking about.

I grow mine in 4" x 4" by 4 foot long plastic window boxes, and they do get their roots all balled up - take a clump and swish it around in a bucket of water, sloshing off the dirt. Then gently pull them apart. Then I sort out the runts and plant the biggest ones.

Today I got my Johnny's Catalog, and they sell a variety of onion seed. Also got the new HCG.

• digit
    13 years ago

Well, the grasses that grow around my place are monocotyledons.

Nope, you convinced me years ago that Dixondale was a good place for me to find onion plants, David. I grow sweet onions from seed each year. I can come close but . . . no cigar. My sweet onions are never quite as nice as the ones that started life in Texas.

Last year, I didn't order from Dixondale because I came across some bunches of Walla Walla onions locally that were about the same price. They were here before I'd sent off an order and by the time I could get those plants into the ground, they weren't in very good shape. Still, they came thru okay, just okay. In 2011, I figure I'd better not be tampering with success again.

Besides, Dixondale's Sterling Whites are a real good keeper and yet, they are really quite mild. I can get a bunch along with the sweet onions and I can't find seed for Sterling. Maybe, I'll even buy their Lancelot leeks if'n I can justify the space 60 plants will require . . . or, I'll grow a few dozen of that variety from seed, anyway.

Finally, the picture in their catalog that arrived in my mailbox today is of my neighbors holding the Red Zeppelins. (They don't know they are my neighbors but any little north Idaho kid that cute, you gotta trust her endorsement. ;o)

Steve

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Steve, I was long a fan of Dixondales, but the last two years, the bundles were smaller, and after culling out the hair, there were barely 20 decent sized ones to plant. So for $8 bucks, I thought I'd try from seed, knowing I could go buy some Dixondales down at the local shoppe. Now that I think of it, I was the one who gave them a catalogue, and they've been buying in bulk for resale....

I have a friend who grows onions commercially, and he still buys from them. He plants an acre of the things.

Anyway, my 2010 experiment worked rather well. I'll start the seeds in Jan this time. The advantage, if there is one, is that you can move seamlessly with damp, full roots into the garden and aside from the spring winds around here, they don't miss a step. I was harvesting full sized onions in early Aug.

On the down side, these things take up space to grow well, the seedlings need to be about an inch apart in the tray. They need haircuts every few weeks. So when I look at the big picture, where we have two trays of Candy, two trays of green onion, and a tray of leeks, it gets to be an operation - And I'm tempted to grow some extra out for sale.

Johnny's has a good selection of leek seeds this year. Which reminds me, a friend of my Son is spending a year in Belgium, and he let me know that they (his Belgian host family) take an arm full of leeks, cut them up, and simmer/fry them down with butter to make a light golden paste - it takes a full day. This is then used as a flavoring for all kinds of soups, stews, and assorted dishes. I tried it. Some good, this.

• billie_ladybug
    13 years ago

Wholly crows, an acre of onions, I get burnt out after I planted 150 of the dang things. I'm going to try something a little different this year with my garden. I'm going to try to stick to just a few of everything, and probably not be very successful. I am going to try the onion from seed thing again. Maybe with more time and attention, I can make them fly.

Billie

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

The guy makes 5 or 6 thousand bucks just growing onions, Billie. He's in his eighties, has two artificial knees, and one shoulder. He's built up a rather dedicated following at one of the local small groceries, with a big clientele that lives in Telluride and drives through.

I just got the Bakers Creek catalog. It was fun to look at the over-sized photos the first time, but now.........

13 years ago

I quit growing onions from sets. Seed is much better for several reasons. Never going back. Got our Baker Creek as well and I see Jere has toned down his crazy look over the years, to the point where he is close to normal; probably ordering 4-5 packets from them this year. Still waiting for my catalogue from Johnny's...

Dan

• billie_ladybug
    13 years ago

I got Parks about a week ago, but have not seen anything otherwise, kinda surprised, little disappointed, but catching up on my other reading is nice.

Looking at the Stephen King collection, its calling me, or am I imagining that??

Billie

13 years ago

Looking at the Stephen King collection, its calling me, or am I imagining that??

It's probably haunting you, Billie, but you won't know for sure until you wake up all bloody, knife in hand.... ;o)

Still waiting for some catalogues...stilllllllll waiting...

Dan

• gjcore
    13 years ago

I'm resisting checking out catalogs for now. First I'm casually working on a plan for what I going to plant in specific areas. Once I get that worked out I'll start shopping around. I think I'll check out Sand Hill Preservation that david52 recommended.

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

I checked, the Johnny's catalog I just got is another 2010 version, with which one could order using those prices, not next years. But it does seem to be 'filled out' leek-wise.

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

I was looking at the wrong catalog stash pile, the one on top the fridge. Had I looked in the correct catalog stash pile, the one on the shelf in the hall table, I'd have found the 2011 Johnny's.

• digit
    13 years ago

LOL, David!

I am in the same situation.

There are 2 Tomato Grower Supply catalogs in front of me as I type. They are from 2010. I can't find the 2011 catalog!

Steve

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

The deluge has started. Three a day. Territorial looks like it will get an order this year, and they plug how they grow their own seeds.

Laughed at "The Cook's Garden" catalog. 15 run-of-the-mill seeds for $3.25, then shipping and handling, approx 25% of the order.

Right now, 12 inches of fresh snow, and they [NOAA] say its just starting. Went out the back door and you can hear the wind coming off the desert, soon to be shaking the '52 windows.

• digit
    13 years ago

There are some Gempler's and Northern Tool catalogs here. I have never, ever ordered from either company. But for some reason, I hold on to their catalogs for awhile.

There are also some Farmtek catalogs - I've ordered from them.

Otherwise . . . these are all 2010 seed catalogs on their way out to the garbage! Rudolf has refused to carry them so I guess I've got to do it myself. {{gwi:2103364}}From digitS'

13 years ago

I'm very happy with a Grower's Supply/Farmtek product they carry, a 6 mil greenhouse film with an IR blocker/anti-condensate. I finally covered the low tunnel I built with this product, and it is still 37úF inside as I write.

Otherwise, I've only kept a couple catalogues I'll order from, maybe even the wildly expensive Burpee's for some sunflowers. My recycle stack looks pretty much like Digit's.

Dan

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

I've just gotten a Gurney's and Henry Fields so far and don't plan to order anything. It's nice seeing who you are getting catalogs and ordering from.
    I did get a seedling tree app from CSU ext. in the mail today.
    Uh oh.
    I can get in a lot of trouble with that single, double sided sheet of paper. They sell potted trees in batches of 30 for $36 or $56, depending on size and bareroot in bundles of 50 for $44. You need to have 2 acres to plant, not use them for ornamental or landscape uses (sure:) and not sell them. I think windbreaks are ornamental! The lilacs and RMJ's I bought from them and planted last spring are doing well, so it might be time to add a 3rd layer to the windbreak.
    I just sat down with my first glass of Shiraz for the evening. Seems like a good night to stay snuggled in with
    the app and the Dirr's manual. I'm getting tight on space and better plan carefully.
    I'm sure the wine will help.
    Cheers and Happy New Year, my gardening buddies!
    Barb

• milehighgirl
    13 years ago

I too am waiting for Sandhill. Has anyone received theirs? Anyone have any info?

13 years ago

BTW, this dinosaur GW software has screwed up everyone's zones in their header, forcing you to re-do.

Don't rely on Dirr 100%, Barb. That's an Eastern book. The comparatives and descriptors are fine but the culture and tolerance is not. I don't have Sandhill yet, SeedSavers just came today so maybe a week or so.

Hope everyone enjoys the bubbly.

Dan

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

Thanks for the word of caution, Dan. I do know Dirr's is eastern focused and am using it as a reference along with CSU's buyers guide. I'm also using it to help me learn the botanical names of trees and shrubs. I feel like a lunkhead using the common names, especially over on the conifer and tree forums.

5 degrees this am. 12 below with the windchill. I think the snow might stick around for a few days. I'm steeling myself with coffee before heading out to feed the horses. 10 minutes outside is plenty long enough in this cold.

The 3 cats are cracking me up, hanging out by the door, asking to be let out. I open the door, they sniff, twitch their tails and look at me. "Oh, never mind".
    Not that I would let them actually go out in this, but I like to let them think it was their choice.

Barb

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

milehighgirl, what I've found to be the best way to deal with Sandhill Preservation is to print off the order form from the internet, then use their online catalog to pick your stuff, then send it with a check by snail mail. Even still, it takes a while. Sort of picture them as farmers doing a business off the kitchen table, with the seeds out in the barn. But they have some great heirloom stuff.

Steve, I order some stuff from Gemplers, particularly the socks at the link - order the XL and they shrink right down to a perfect fit. They're expensive, but last forever. I also used to buy cheap safety glasses/sun glasses by the dozen for my kids, they'd loose sun glasses so often.

Here is a link that might be useful: bestest wool socks ever

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

I used to get a bunch of catalogs but moving took care of that. Stokes Seeds somehow tracked me down. I also got Bluestone and few others that I requested. Been drooling over the pictures in rose catalogs. I can't get carried away since the yard of our new house will be TINY!

• digit
    13 years ago

Posted by treebarb . . . The 3 cats are cracking me up, hanging out by the door, asking to be let out. I open the door, they sniff, twitch their tails and look at me. "Oh, never mind".
    Not that I would let them actually go out in this, but I like to let them think it was their choice.

Barb

Back when I had cats, Barb, I always thought that they were standing at the open door, looking back over their shoulders saying, "Well? Fix it! It's your job, isn't it? Fix it!"

Below zero here the last 2 nights but the Weather Service is promising a little bit of warming. They have put a slight chance of snow back in the forecast. I still have plenty of November's snow . . . now, on to January's, I suppose.

Steve

• milehighgirl
    13 years ago

Oh where, oh where is my Sandhill catalog, oh where, oh where can it be?

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Yeah, that's about the only one I haven't gotten yet.

I'm actually trying not to look at them anymore. My seed budget is small this year, and each place just a few things that I want. Wouldn't it be great if everything on my wishlist was available at one place! Well, I can dream can't I?

Bonnie

• digit
    13 years ago

Kitazawa is the last catalog I get each year.

I don't know why(?) they torment me. . . !

There were 6 (six) varieties of soybean in that Kitazawa catalog last year. Each of those soybean varieties was guaranteed to make me self-sufficient within 85 days; totally and completely outside the grip of the corporate food industry! Safe and secure on my mountaintop . . .

steve

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't know you lived on a MOUNTAIN TOP, Digit! Now you did it! Now I'm gonna have to make another trip up to Glacier sometime----with a side trip to Coeur D'Alene to see Your Mountain! ;-)

Your Kitazawa company (which I've never hear of, BTW), sounds like that SAVE YOURSELF survivor group that was trying to sell (expensive) seeds last year. This is ALL you need! LOL!

I've gotten 10 catalogs by now---plus a second one I've already gotten from Parks! I think Parks is determined to carpet the Earth with their catalogs! I haven't gotten anything from them in forever, but they keep sending catalogs, and More catalogs, and MORE catalogs! On the other hand, I think I may have gotten booted off of the mailing lists of a few of the companies that I haven't ordered from in X number of years! I can't name them---at least not all of them, but there are definitely companies that I haven't gotten a catalog from this year---unless they're still coming!

I just got my Harris the day before yesterday. I had gotten an email saying their printer had messed it up, and it was gonna be late! I get my pelleted carrot and lettuce seed from them, so I'm glad to have that one!

I've stuck post-it notes here and there in a bunch of them, but I definitely can't buy everything I WANT, so, as usual, narrowing it down will be the really hard part. The dreaming is the easy, and fun, part!

Pretty "pictures" scattered all over the floor,
    Skybird

• billie_ladybug
    13 years ago

Barb - yup the windbreak counts. The windbreak also works as "wildlife habitat" which is on their list. I wonder why they set out all those requirements though when they never ask or inquire about what you are really planning. I have actually gone to local auctions and bought trees from the state distribution cuz people bought more than they were going to plant. So much for the no resale as a living tree requirement.

Ah the seed budget, so little money, so many catalogs. Do you think they will let me buy one seed at a time?? I don't need 250 lettuce seeds, LOL.

Billie

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

milehighgirl, I checked their web site and they said they sent them out early Jan, expect a few weeks for the post office to deliver.

If you don't get it, just do a hand-written order form, and send them a check. Its not like there are any fancy photos or something you're missing.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

A friend on another forum got his sandhill catalogue today. It will come.

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Mine came today. Hope springs eternal.

• b2alicia
    13 years ago

I'm ordering three kinds of yellow crookneck summer squash seeds tomorrow!

The company is called Twilley Seeds, and you can't order online, only on their 800 number or by mail or fax. It was recommended by a guy from the veggie forum.

The squashes are called:
    -Gentry Hybrid
    -Supersett Hybrid
    -Horn of Plenty

Yippee!

• milehighgirl
    13 years ago

Finally, my Sandhill came yesterday as well!

I have some questions, maybe you guys can help me speculate.

On pages 59 & 60, two tomatoes are listed with different names but the same descriptions and same placement as tomatoes in last year's catalog:

Red Paragon: mid, SD, high yields of red, 12 oz., globe fruits. Pkt. $1.25 OG

Red Penna: mid, Ind, RL, an outstanding red beefsteak with great taste, fruits in the 1 to 2 pound range. Pkt. $2.50

Red Rose: mid, Ind, small salad, 2 to 4 oz., very uniform. Pkt. $1.75 OG

2011:

Red Paragon: mid, SD, high yields of red, 12 oz., globe fruits. Pkt. $1.25 OG

Red Perona: mid, Ind, RL, an outstanding red beefsteak with great taste, fruits in the 1 to 2 pound range. Pkt. $2.50 (Unavailable for 2011)

Red Rose: mid, Ind, small salad, 2 to 4 oz., very uniform. Pkt. $1.75 OG

Santa Clara Canner: late, Ind, RL, 1 to 2 pound beefsteak fruits, credited with being the variety that started the tomato canning industry in CA, origin believed to be Italy, walls are thick, skins not tough, quite juicy, great taste. (UNAVAILABLE FOR 2010.)

Sasha's Altai: early, Ind, RL, high yields, flat globe shape. Pkt. $1.50 OG

Scotia: early, Det, bushy plants, red round 2.5" x 2" fruit, above average yield. (Limit 1 Pkt.) Pkt. $2.00 OG

2011:

Santa Clara Canner: late, Ind, RL, 1 to 2 pound beefsteak fruits, credited with being the variety that started the tomato canning industry in CA, origin believed to be Italy, walls are thick, skins not tough, quite juicy, great taste. (Unavailable for 2011.)

Sashays Alto: early, Ind, RL, high yields, flat globe shape. Pkt. $1.50 OG

Scotia: early, Det, bushy plants, red round 2.5" x 2" fruit, above average yield. (Limit 1 Pkt.) Pkt. $2.00 OG

So, are these "Red Perona" and "Sashays Alto" typos?

If I wanted to order Red Penna and Sasha's Altai, am I out of luck?

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Red 'Perona'? only thing I see resembling Red 'Penna' and outta luck, as well as Sasha's Altai. They sure got a lot of tomato varieties.

said the kid in the candy store

• milehighgirl
    13 years ago

Okay, I think I figured out the Sandhill catalog: Someone went crazy with auto-fill!

The words that are changed were probably auto-filled with similar words, then spell-check didn't catch them.

I have found "Cheyenne" listed out of alphabetical order under Sequoia Alpine", but in the 2010 catalog it's "Sheyenne".

So, my guess is that Red Penna is out for 2011, and Sasha's Altai is in.

Wonder what other oopses there are?

• b2alicia
    13 years ago

Very clever of you to figure that out!
    Good job.

Betty

Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW! I just spent an hour counting seeds, and I am SO impressed! I got my Sand Hill Preservation seed order today! Decided to come back here to report on it!

I am incredibly impressed with this place! This is the first year I've ordered from them! The impression I got thruout the catalog was that they tended to ship more seeds in their packets than they said they would. They do!

Tomato Amana Orange - they say at least 25 - I got 103
    Tomato Dr. Wyche's Yellow - they say at least 25 - I got 85
    Tomato Earl of Edgecombe - they say at least 25 - I got 41

Eggplant Diamond - they say 50 - I got 195
    Eggplant Rosa Bianca - they say 50 - I got 102

Cucumber Glorie de Paris - they say 25-35 - I got 82
    Cucumber Tokiwa - they say 25-35 - I got 71
    Cucumber Delikatesse - they say 25-35 - I got 41
    And the label on the Delikatesse was hand written for some reason (I had told them no subs), and I don't know if this is why they did it, but I also got a FREE packet of Mirella, which is also a burpless variety, which is what all the others are. The free pack had 79 seeds! (It wasn't one of their "complementary" packs -- didn't have the stamp on it!)

Yellow crookneck squash - they say 15 - I got 45
    Gill's Golden Pippin squash - they say 15 - I got32

Three packs of peas - they say 2 oz. - that's what I got!
    One pack of pole beans - they say 1 oz. - I got 1 1/2 oz.!

Beets, carrots, parsnips, spinach - they say enough for a 25' row - it's way more than that!

The most expensive packet I got was 2.75 - the cheapest 1.00 - shipping is free over $10!

Besides the free packet of cuke seeds, I got a free packet of Ruby Red lettuce seed - LOTS of seed, and a free packet of C. S. White Flesh watermelon seeds - don't know what I'm gonna do with those! The 3 packs of free seeds were worth 5.00. The free cuke seeds were packed for 2011, the other two for 2010.

I got 20 packets of seed for 35.25 - TOTAL! Plus the 3 free packets!

They do have an online catalog, but they ONLY take snail mail orders! They're not as "polished" as the Glitzy Catalog Folks--a couple of the seeds had a little bit of chaff in them, but not enough to worry about, and most of them are all the way clean! The seeds are in "generic" plain paper packets with small name labels on them.

The info that came with the seeds says: We store the seed properly (for both temperature and humidity) and we only fill five (5) packets of a variety at a time to keep the seed in the packets as fresh as possible.
    I like that!

This place is totally on my radar for next year, and I'll get everything I possibly can from them! Two dollars for 103 tomato seeds! Nobody's gonna beat that! There's a hand written Thank You with the order!

MileHiGirl, did you get an order from them? The slip that came with my order says: We would like to apologize for the few typo errors in the catalog this year. Unfortunately, the use of "Spell Check" did more harm than...

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Wonderful, Skybird - you can see why I love that place. The only caveat is get your order in early, like January/February because they do take their time.

I had a friend years ago who ordered heritage poultry from them, and thought they were the best, and someone else was a huge fan of their sweet potatoes. As well, they are one of the better sources for obscure tomato varieties.

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Didn't get my Sand Hill catalog this year : (

Sky, if you don't want the white fleshed watermelon, I can take it off your hands ...

Original Author
    13 years ago

David, I paged thru their whole catalog again last nite, and I was reading the sweet potato descriptions, and very much tempted! They explain how your zone doesn't matter, it's the "heat units" that count! Digit should like that! Even with enough heat, tho, I wouldn't possibly have enough room for them! Oh, for a big old plantation like some of you guys have!!!

Chickens and turkeys and geese! Oh, my! Based on my seed order, I'm not at all surprised to hear that people are happy with their poultry! They have an incredible selection, and even if I could raise chickens, I don't have a CLUE how I'd pick out just one or two kinds! When I was a kid we had just plain old white chickens that laid plain old white eggs! (Back then, brown eggs were cheaper! My, how times have changed!) I don't know what they were! They were CHICKENS! Maybe leghorns! I was always scared of the roosters, and hated when I had to try to get the eggs out from under a "cluck," which is what my parents/grandparents called a hen that decided she was gonna sit on and PROTECT and try to hatch her eggs! SCAT little kid! You can't have my eggs! Peck, peck, peck!

Their tomato selection is almost unbelievable, and the main reason why I decided to order from them---they had three of the yellow/orange varieties I was considering. There are pages and pages and pages of tomatoes. Very brief descriptions, so you need to go to Tatiana's or somewhere for more info, but, boy, do they ever have a lot of varieties. They list them by color/type, and check this out!

257 Red
    107 Pink
    62 Yellow/gold
    13 White/cream (didn't even know there was such a thing!)
    10 Green
    6 "Keeping"
    33 Black - Gray - Bronze
    5 Stuffing
    44 Paste
    69 Cherry/salad

They have over 600 varieties! Where are you, Plantation, when I really need you!

For those that aren't familiar with the company and like OP and OG seed, all of their seed is open pollinated, and much of it is certified organic now and all will be in the future, and none of their seeds are chemically treated.

Sounds crazy, but I can hardly wait to order from them next year---and, yes, I will be ordering earlier next year! This year I finally got the order done and sent in on the 7th, and I got it on the 28th, so 21 days---which I guess really isn't that bad for a small company and snail mail both ways!

Bonnie, I only got 18 of the watermelon seeds, and I want to keep a few of them--I don't know for what!--but I was considering giving 4 or 5 away to a couple people on the swap thread! If you'd like enough for one "hill," I'll put you down for dibs on my keepin'-track list! Wish I was coming by your way this September so I could get a taste of one of them! If I give you a few of the Harris Model parsnip seeds, will you plant them somewhere? If you and the kids like sweet potatoes, you'll like them. They're great with pot roast! The seeds are only viable for a couple years, and I have way more than I can...

• provogirl
    13 years ago

Skybird- I am so glad you posted this. I mailed my Sandhill order probably about a week after you did and I was wondering if you received yours yet? Now I know you have. My HB sat up one night reading the Sandhill catalog and added more to my list! Gotta love that. He even figured out our heat units over here to see if we could grow sweet potatoes. We can and ordered 4 different kinds of slips. I did love reading the Sandhill catalog. I kinda like how there aren't any pictures so I have to use my imagination. I found a lot of stuff I couldn't find anywhere else there also. I am so glad you are happy with your order because that means I will be happy with mine. I have been unhappy with Pintree and Territorial seeds this year as I have had a lot of seeds not germinate at all! My Rosa Bianca eggplant seeds from Seed Saver's exchange also did not germinate so maybe I will order them from Sandhill next year.
    I will plant a watermelon plant for you if you want to hook me up with a few seeds. I should be able to find a spot somewhere.

ProvoGirl

Original Author
    13 years ago

How big a yard do you have, Provo??? Humongous list of tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and watermelons! Yowza! Do I ever wish I had room for even half of that! You may definitely have a few watermelon seeds, so with you and Bonnie, that's my two people to give some to! I have you down on the swap list! One request! If you should happen to get a pack of the same thing free when you get your Sand Hill order, let me know so I can give them to somebody else.

Do YOU want a few parsnip seeds to try? I'm determined to get everybody growing parsnips! ;-) And like I said to Bonnie, the seed is only good for a couple years, and I got way plenty of it!

I used Pinetree for a couple years because of their prices, but when they say you're getting 25 seeds, you get 25 seeds! And I've had germination problems with a couple things I got from them too! I went thru the whole Territorial catalog this year, and marked a bunch of things, but they're kind of pricey, and I found the same things or close subs in the Sand Hill catalog, so didn't order from them in the end. And I was planning to buy from Seed Savers too, but compared to Sand Hill they're more expensive and don't have anywhere near the tomato selection of Sand Hill, so if I ordered from them, I was gonna have to do Sand Hill anyway! That didn't make much sense, so I just went with Sand Hill for the whole thing! And I'm REALLY glad I did!

When you get your Sand Hill order, let us know if you're as impressed with what you get as I was!

Skybird

• provogirl
    13 years ago

Skybird-I will let everyone know what I think about Sandhill. I have placed quite a few orders this year with many different company's and I am really leaning towards just using a few of them from now on. Some are more $ but they have things I cannot find anywhere else. So far I am impressed with Richter's, Kitchen Garden Seeds, and Baker's Creek. I ordered from Baker's Creek, Seeds Saver's Exchange and High Mowing Seed's last year. I was kinda impressed with them last year. They all germinated ok. SSE didn't have the variety that I wanted but the member's yearbook did. I think that yearbook is well worth the membership. Not impressed with Pinetree (cute pkts though), Territorial Seeds (ordered from them mainly for the oca tuber's and also bought some seeds which have not germinated well), and Artistic Gardens (have to be impressed because of the 35 cent packet prices but not good germination). I hope I am impressed with Sandhill.
    I will definitely let you know if I get any free seed packets too. I would love some Harris Model parsnip seeds! I grew Hollow Crown Parsnips last year they were pretty good. I am growing parsley root this year which is similar (at least in the way it is prepared and eaten).
    I would love some Harris Model parsnip seeds! I will definately let you know if I get any free seed packets too. I grew Hollow Crown Parsnips last year they were pretty good. I am growing parsley root this year which is similar (at least in the way it is prepared and eaten).

ProvoGirl

• provogirl
    12 years ago

It came! It finally came! I got my Sand Hill order today. I sent it in late and missed out on 4 packets being sold out. Overall I was very pleased. I got 2 free seed packets and way more seed than the 15 seed minimum. Here is my list:
    Arikara White Corn- Flour (100+seeds)
    Poplar Corn-Dent (100+seeds)
    Texas Honey June Corn, Sweet (200+seeds)
    Cochita Pueblo Corn, Popcorn (100+ seeds)
    Fireside Corn, Popcorn (100+ seeds)
    Bread Corn, Flour (100+ seeds)
    Guadalajara All Purpose Corn, Flour OG (100+ seeds)
    Albino Pepper-Sweet (50+ seeds)
    Ancho Pepper, Hot (40 seeds)
    Bulgarian Red Pimento Pepper, Sweet (50 seeds)
    Gill�s Golden Pippin, Squash, Winter (25 seeds)
    Sugar Drip Sorghum, Sweet, OG (300+ seeds)
    Mennonite Sorghum, Sweet OG (500+ seeds)
    Black Peanut (25+ whole peanuts)
    Aquadulce Fava Bean, OG (25 seeds)
    Morris Heading Collards (200+ seeds)
    Georgia Green Collards (200+ seeds)
    French Green Lentils, OG (300+ seeds)
    Black Beluga Lentils, OG (200+ seeds)
    Green Lentils, (200+ seeds)
    Prizehead Lettuce (100+ seeds)
    Tom Thumb Lettuce (150+ seeds) FREE SEED
    Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce (100+ seeds)
    Vegetable Mallow Greens, OG (150+ seeds)
    Arugula Greens (100+ seeds)
    Tan Cotton (25 seeds)
    Egyptian Green Cotton (25 seeds)
    Seamist Green Cotton (20 seeds)
    Butternut Brown Cotton (25 seeds)
    Mayo Indian Amaranth, Grain (200+ seeds)
    Brown Teff (200+ seeds)
    Blacktail Mountain Watermelon (35 seeds) FREE SEED
    Polar Bear Zinnia (50 seeds)
    Lovage (150+ seeds)
    Holy Basil (100+ seeds)

I need to get the peppers and the a few other things planted immediately. Some (like the cotton) will have to wait until next year.

ProvoGirl

• digit
    12 years ago

Wow! Look at all that corn!

How are you going to separate so many, diverse varieties in your garden, ProvoGirl?

I will have Painted Mountain corn in the garden again this year - I hope. I've just got to make sure it isn't anywhere near the sweet corn and that may be difficult.

Steve

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz