Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenbean08_gw

Tree ID??

greenbean08_gw
15 years ago

I have this small tree (or shrub??) growing next to the patio

From Yard & Landscape pics

It's going to have to move. For some reason, when they poured the concrete, the previous owners never added dirt around the concrete, so there was about a foot drop off from the patio to the yard. I have added dirt to most of it, but I'm quite sure plunking that much dirt around this poor tree would not do it any favors. So out it will come. I want to try to move it, as it sits just east of my veggie garden, and one day would likely shade it in the morning. I'm trying to figure out what the tree is, to help me figure out where I should put it. Any ideas?? Here are a couple more pics.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

I'm not sure, but it looks like one of those 'weed trees' - we get something similar around here that grows in the cracks between a building and the pavement.....

• laura_42
    15 years ago

Poor little thing!

Looks like some variety of thornless honey locust to me.

We have a similar one in smack dab in front of our home -- it was plopped into the ground by our HOA last year, so our street would one day have a shady lane.

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Laura,
    I wondered if that might be what it is. I thought it looked a bit like the picture I've seen, but having never seen one for sure, I wasn't positive. It is a bit sad, I know. My poor trees. That one didn't even get the little bit of extra care this summer that the rest did, since I knew it would have to move. I didn't want to do anything to make it grow bigger. It will get some TLC when I move it though.

The rest of the trees got a little alpaca poo feeding, a little water ring in the dirt (the trees are all small still), and some wood mulch. I even propped up a little evergreen (less than 2' tall) that was growing crooked, so it might grow up straight and tall someday. It seemed to be working last time I checked.

Sometimes I feel like I need to apologize for my landcape. It's really not my fault, we've only been here since January! : )