Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treebarb

O'Tooles sale

treebarb Z5 Denver
10 years ago

Last year Aloha was kind enough to let us know about a great sale O'Toole's was having and it's back. Regularly $7.99 quart sized perennials are 99 cents, 4" pots are 50 cents, although this size went down to 25 cents last year, the clerk doesn't think they'll go that low this year. The 50 centers are on the east side of the building.

I snagged 50 cent iceplant, cobweb sempervivens, turkish veronica, ajuga and 99 cent catmint, salvia and ajuga.

$30 roses are $9.99. They have Knockouts, Zephirine Drouhin, Francis Meidiland, New Dawn and others..

Trees and shrubs are half off. They have 3 locations in the Denver area. I went to the one in Westminster.

http://www.otoolesgardencenters.com/index.html

Happy bargain shopping!

Barb

Comments (6)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks, Barb! I think I'll head over there tomorrow and check out what they have left.

Skybird

• chellers
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting! I am going to check it out!

• olreader
    10 years ago

Thanks Treebarb for your message again; and I posted to your thread instead of sending you a private message; and I can't delete this post? so I will leave it here even though it isn't on topic.

Thanks again for the message, it looks the person in CO was happy with his mulberry this year. My problem is too many young (25 ft ish) trees in my small yard, I love them all but I want to cut some of them back/take them out before they get too big especially the cottonwoods.

I hadn't heard of the peashrub I will take a look and I will be sure to wrap my tiny zelkova very soon

This post was edited by olreader on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 10:16

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

olreader,

No problem posting here, I was hoping you'd find this forum since it's specific to our area. You can edit your profile on GW to include your email so that you can send and receive emails if you want to, but it's up to you. Not everyone wants to share to that extent.

I am not a fan of cottonwoods in residential yards. They can be a splendid tree in open areas, but in a neighborhood they are thugs, sending roots into other people yards. Since they are weak wooded, in storms they drop limbs. They can be very hard to get rid of, too, as they can sucker along the roots. I'd take them down while they're still small enough for you to do yourself. Tree services can get quite expensive!

It might help to look at it a different way. Instead of trying to prune a tree into fitting in the space, why not pick trees that will fit the space at maturity?

For example, your Zelkova at maturity will get 50 - 80 feet tall and be 40 - 50 feet wide. Have you given it enough room to do that? I would take down any tree within 20 feet of the Zelkova so it has room to grow naturally. You don't have to take them all down now as it's a baby and you don't know if it'll make it yet. But start planning for the ultimate size and spread of these trees. I hope I'm not sounding harsh, I want to encourage you! I'm guilty of overplanting myself and I'm gradually fixing my mistakes by making choices about which trees to keep. I hope this helps!

Barb

• olreader
    10 years ago

My 55'x55' back yard has 20 trees almost all in the 25'-35' tall range (only 13 trees if you count the 11 aspen/cottonwoods as 4 individuals). I didn't plant any of them. The yard is to the east.

On the south no trees but the neighbor's house is about 30 feet away. Both houses two stories. The neighbor has a 15' crabapple about 20 ft from our south wall. And a norway? maple about 20' high about 40' away. The crabapple gives us some shade.

The zelkova is SW of our house in the strip between our driveway and our neighbors lawn. It's about 15 ft from our garage and 25+ ft from the crabapple and not close to any other trees or buildings

• aloha2009
    10 years ago

Treebarb, thanks for the acknowledgement.

I totally forgot to go "one last time" before the winter set in. I did manage to snag 3 of the knock out rose bushes when they had just marked them down. They hadn't marked the other items down much so I figured I'd sit tight and wait. The trouble is I forgot altogether :(. I'm not sure what I would have gotten though, but as a gardener, it's hard to resist at full price let alone when they're highly discounted.

I too shop at the O'Tooles in Westminster.