Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

How can I get my Pineapple Lily to bloom again?

mstywoods
9 years ago

I posted a reply to message on the Bulb Forum about this, but no one has responded yet. Do any of you have ideas of how I can get my Eucomis Oakhurst/Pineapple Lily to bloom again?

Here's the link to the thread I posted here the first year I bought mine, and it bloomed: Eucomis Oakhurst

So I've had it now for 4 years. I bring it inside once the temps start falling to around 40 degrees night time temps. Since the first year, I've gotten new bulbs from it but none of them have bloomed. The second year, I think I just left the bulbs in the dirt and kept the foliage clipped back (they get very wilty and sad looking. I kept it inside all winter with only occasionally taking it outside during the day if it warmed up to the 50-60 degree mark). Last year, I took the bulbs out of the dirt and kept them wrapped up in the dark for the winter and repotted in the spring. Still no blooms this past year. So I'm trying to decide if I should do anything different with it this winter.

Any thoughts on what I might do to get it to bloom again?! Although the foliage gets a pretty purple during the spring/summer with the adequate natural light, I sure would love to get another of those awesome blooms! I have had to experiment with locations for it during the growing season because of our unpredictable Colorado climate and sun intensity, It seems to do best overall on the north side of our house in semi-shaded exposure. If I put it where it gets more direct sun during the summer, the heat is just way too much for it - the leaves wilt badly, especially with our sudden winds. It revives, but it does put the plant in a lot of stress. The spot where I've settled on for it is a bit more protected from both. But perhaps it's just not enough sun for it to bloom.

I have used some fertilizer on occasion, but not a lot (someone on the bulb forum said it doesn't demand fertilzer, and have read that elsewhere, too). Maybe I should use more or another type?

If I can't get it to bloom, I may give up on growing it here. The foliage itself just isn't enough of a draw for me to put up with it's finicky behavior! :(

Comments (5)

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got some good ideas from a couple of folks on the bulb forum that I'm going to try!

Marj

• digit
    9 years ago

Well, I should hope, Marj!!!

You wrote a really nice long post, links and everything!!

If you can't get it to bloom again, we'd be lucky if you don't throw out RMG with the plant!

Steve

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Never, digit!!

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Woohoo - looks like my Pineapple Lily is going to bloom again after all this time!

I've had it in a larger pot since my original post here, as that was one recommendation the Bulb Forum had. I planted the bulbs 6 inches down and have left them in that pot since (bringing the pot inside over winter, and taking it back out in the late spring). I had just about given up hope, but when I checked the pot just now, I saw the beginnings of a flower forming in one of them :)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    7 years ago

The one you gave me at the spring swap is doing well, Marj. So is the Christmas cactus. Thank you! The lily has been potted up and has spent the summer on the east side of the base of an ash tree. I was just thinking last night that it's almost time to start bringing in the houseplants for the winter. It's 47 degrees this morning, so we're getting close.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH