Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hollies from Home Depot?

Posted by davies-cc 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 7, 08 at 12:53

I saw some hollies at a Colorado Springs Home Depot this summer that were very tempting. I recall that they were a variety of the Ilex meservae hybrid, called Castle Wall and Castle Spire (one is male and the other female). Has anyone planted these and had them through a winter yet? I'm sorely tempted but I think I would need to take out a sizable Magnolia for them, so I'd like to think my odds are at least reasonably good that they would do OK, before I go into my Gardener of Mass Destruction mode.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hollies from Home Depot?

I'm in the springs too and planted holly last year. It did well getting through the winter. The house next door has
3 huge 6' plants right next to their house. So I think you would be fine planting them. Although I'm not sure if this is a good time of year if you are considering doing so now. Someone else needs to chime in.

o

I have a few holly bushes around - they seem to do ok in an alkaline soil. They don't grow all that quickly, the ones I have are maybe 3' high and 8 years old. But I never really fussed over them.

They sometimes get hit with spider mites. Deer, who haven't yet read the brochure about them being non-deer-palatable, will gnaw them to the ground when they're small.

They do well in the shade.

All in all, they make a decent addition to the garden, and are more attractive than a lot of stuff during the the winter.

o

I planted blue boy/blue girl (male and female) hollies seven years ago, and the deer hit them really hard. They never really recovered from those first two winters of deer damage. Some have died. I suspect they need more nutrients than my soil is offering. I should try to take better care and fertilize them, but I haven't done anything -- they're in a long, wide bed of trees that don't really need any fertilizer or care other than pruning, so I just don't think about them much. Perhaps if I hadn't neglected them, I'd be more impressed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here