Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Van Engelen Fall Sale!

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everybody know that this morning I received the Fall Sale email from Van Engelen, and while the prices are higher than last year, they're still about as low as you're going to get for fall bulbs---and a few other things!

I put in my order as soon as I could decide which I wanted, and while I was debating, a couple of the things I was looking at went "out of stock!" If anyone is interested in this, DO IT NOW! There's a $50 minimum order!

If there's something you want, put it in your cart right away! You can delete any and all if you decide to, but apparently when somebody puts something in their cart it's taken out of inventory so it looks like they're out, and then if the person decides to not get it, it's put back into inventory!

SO

If anybody decides to order Ipheon uniflorum (the first one!), I'd LOVE to trade you some for something I'm getting! It was shown as "out" when I submitted my order, and now they're showing some in stock again---don't know for how long!

Gonna post this without more adieu so everybody can get it as fast as possible. link below to the Availability List!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Availability List

Comments (7)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks, skybird!

It must be bulb time. I'm soaking garlic to plant as we speak.

I was at home depot yesterday and their bulbs are half off right now. Daffodil, tulips, crocus, etc. Not the amaryllis, though, they're full price.

I'll check out the Van Engelen site now.

Looks like we're in for some wind this weekend. I'm going to get outside, put some tree wrap on the new Chinkapin oak and the London Plane and enjoy some sunshine.

Happy Veteran's day, if applicable!

Barb

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

Thanks, skybird!

If someone wants to split an order, I'd be in. I'd love to get some snowdrops and daffodils (not the common yellows, but other kinds) and anything else, really! Send me a message if you're interested... (And I hope it's not too late to be planting bulbs!)

Re: tree wrap? Should I be considering that for my new trees? Does it really help for wind? The temps aren't going to be all that cold this weekend.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago

polygonum,

Some newly planted deciduous trees should be wrapped over the winter to prevent sun scald, it's not a wind issue. Our intense sun can split or cause burn like injuries to the southwest sides of the trunk. It's mostly a concern to plants grown elsewhere and then transported here for sale. A tree that was grown in a nursery from say, Oregon, then shipped to and sold from a nursery in Denver has not dealt with our altitude or sun exposure.

The recommendations here are to wrap Ash, Linden, Maples, Oak and other thinner barked trees at around Thanksgiving and to remove the wraps around Easter and to do that for the first couple of years after the tree is planted.

I have an Autumn Blaze Maple that I planted 3 or 4 years ago that has horrible injuries to the sunny side of the tree. Borers then attacked the weakened tissue. I'm not sure how this tree keeps going, but it's hanging in there so far. I did wrap this tree, but did it late the first year and between some crazy temp fluctuations and the sun, it split.

It can also be an issue for a tree that was grown, then purchased and planted facing a different direction than it was in the nursery. The side of the tree that faced north at the nursery gets planted facing south at your place and isn't acclimated to getting that much sun.

I'm blathering on, aren't I?

Anyway, I wanted to get the task done before the wind came up, as dealing with a roll of tree wrap and duct tape was not something I wanted to do in windy conditions!

I think you're good planting bulbs until the ground freezes, so it's not too late yet.

I've not had much luck with daffodils here, although the tulips do fine. I'm probably not planting them deep enough.

They have some great stuff at the Van Engelen site, but I'm done planting for the year. I hope you get some takers!

Barb

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

Thanks, Barb.

I have a Japanese-type maple, planted this summer. It is on the northeast side of my house and only gets a little bit of sun in the morning. I hope it is protected from sun and wind.

My ash tree faces south and is in a sunny spot. But it has been here since April or so.

There's no way I can get to any of them before the wind comes up. So we'll see...

-------

I also hope I get some takers to either split an order or to share a few bulbs with me!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Polygonum,

You might want to consider doing what I did! Last year I missed out on the sale because I took too long trying to decide what I wanted and about half of the things I finally picked were gone by the time I tried to put the order in--so I wound up under $50 and just decided to skip it! This year I had decided that as soon as I saw the info about the sale I was gonna order SOMETHING immediately, and that's what I did yesterday. Luckily most of the things I had wanted last year were on sale again this year, so it didn't take me TOO long to get an order together! Because the quantities are SO many more than I can possibly use, I decided to order what I wanted and then see if I could resell some of the extras for what they cost me to people I know. Right now I'm in the process of contacting friends to see if they want any (have one taker so far!), and when I've heard back from these few people I'll be posting what I still have here to see if anybody in the Metro area is interested in any of them.

This isn't an offer yet since I don't know positively that I'll have them, but these are all things I got 100 of so I'm Pretty Sure I'll have some Chionodoxa forbesii at 15/1.90, some Eranthus hyemalis for 15/2.60, some Iris reticulata 'Rock Garden Mxture' for 10/1.50, and some Geranium tuberosum for 10/1.90. Probably a couple other things too, but think I won't know for at least a week!

I just divided the quantity by what I paid, multiplied by 10 or 15, and then added a little bit of prorated shipping figured out by dividing the total number of bulbs/plants I got (553!) by the total amount of the shipping.

So if there's something you really want, you could either just order it and take a chance that somebody else will like what you picked out, or you could put some stuff "in your cart," which seems to "save" it for you, and then post what you have to see if you get any response quickly here--then you could either delete the order or decide to still take a chance! If you have any gardening friends you could do what I'm doing by contacting them directly to see if there are any takers!

If you should get some Snowdrops, Galanthus elwesii looks really nice and I'd be interested in 10 or 15 of those if you decide to go for it--possibly some of the other Galanthus too, but the elwesii is my favorite! And I looked at the dafs, but they're pretty expensive and I decided to get more of a variety this year rather than just a couple things! BUT, if you decide to get some, I'd probably be interested in 10, depending on which varieties you picked. I've always really, really wanted a pink one, and 'Faith' is about the prettiest, pinkest one I've found--and they're still shown available. With shipping they'd come out to about $1 apiece! I'd go for 5 or 10 at that price! Narcissus 'Katie Heath' is pretty too, but way less pink than 'Faith', but it's a lot cheaper and I'd be interested in 5 or 10 of those too! Other things would just depend on what you picked. If you should decide to do an order and they show they have Ipheion uniflorum (#3540), I'll take up to half of those! They were out of stock right when I completed my order, and since then they've been "in stock/out of stock/in stock/out of stock" over and over. Shown available right now--were out of stock about an hour ago! I've considered putting in another order just to get them, but that's only $6.94, and then I need to get all the way up to $50 again---and I already went up to $98 on my first order-----so I'm gonna freeze my credit card in an ice cube and wait till next year if nobody else orders some!

Gotta go! It may be windy, but it's warm and I'm gonna spend the rest of the afternoon blowing around outside!

Skybird

P.S. If you're thinking about doing an order, put the things you're thinking about in your cart right away! VERY easy to delete when you make the final decision. And if something you want is shown as out of stock, keep going back and checking it again---it changes minute by minute as people put things in and out of their carts!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Update, Polygonum!

The person who's decided to take some of my extras is also doing their own order and is going to get the white Ipheion I mentioned above, so if you decide to do an order, I don't need that one anymore --- but would still be interested in possibly getting some of the other things!

Skybird

Original Author
    12 years ago

The prices are even cheaper now!

I just wanted to bump this one up to let everyone know that what's left of the bulbs is now 40% off the original prices!

While a lot of the more unusual things don't have as many varieties anymore or are gone, there are still a LOT of lilies, daffodils, tulips, and peonies left, and at prices you're not likely to find anywhere else. The link I posted up above still goes to the current availability list with the current prices!

I broke down, melted the ice cube my credit card was frozen in, and placed one more "minimum" order for a couple kinds of dafs and two varieties of lilies! Can't wait to get this stuff, and I even more can't wait to see it blooming next spring!

Anybody think that if I wish REALLY hard when I go to bed tonite it'll be spring when I wake up in the morning???

Skybird