Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best wildlife night-viewing camera?

Posted by susanka COz5 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 12, 09 at 18:43

Hi, everyone -- We know we've had a mountain lion on the neighbor's roof, which is about 35 feet from our roof; she heard it, and it left scat on the side of her roof nearest our house that was confirmed to be mountain lion by the local game warden. We've had other occurrences around here that seem to indicate the presence of a lion. I'd already been wishing we had some kind of a mounted camera outside so we could enjoy seeing the local wildlife activity, but now I'd like one also to verify that we have a mountain lion in the area, since DH and I like to sleep outside on our deck (which has no stair access, so until now we thought we were safe). Can anyone recommend the best kind of camera to get? I've googled "night vision camera" and "wildlife camera" but am confused about all the claims made, etc.

Thanks very much for any advice you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best wildlife night-viewing camera?

Boy, Susan, you have yourself a real predicament there, don't you!? I did a quick look thru the forums available here, and found one that may help. At least the title of the forum sounds more useful for your situation, than our RM Gardening title! :)

And they are within the GardenWeb family. Best of luck in your search! Let us know if you get some photos of that cat!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nature Photography and Optics

o

You might try going to Cabelas, then enter "camera" in the search box - the page that comes up has their selection, and they generally have good, and seemingly honest, product reviews.

You also might want to contact one of their experts and 'splain the problem.

We get mountain lions through a couple of times a year. I haven't seen them inside my deer fence, but they're often right out side it.

o

irisgirl and david52, thank you very much. I've posted on the other forum, and will call Cabela's. We've seen ML tracks in the mud since then, so this guy is really hangin' around. Yes, I do know how to tell cat tracks from canine!

o

• Posted by jnfr z5b CO (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 25, 09 at 20:00

I had mountain lion tracks in my garden one morning back when I lived up in Coal Creek Canyon. The tracks are hard to miss because they are HUGE! I never ran into one again, and I was grateful.

I like reading the reviews on Amazon - whether you buy there or not, you can gather a lot of info from reading about other people's experiences with an item.

o

Earlier today, a friend was showing me the pictures he took of his halloween trick-or-treaters, using one of these - you can imagine the looks when the flash went off out of nowhere......

Here is a link that might be useful: $80 camera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here