Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

plant id's, please

mstywoods
9 years ago

Earlier this year, I got a pot of flowers off of the free craigslist. It's done very nicely, but I've totally forgotten what the plants are! I can't find my emails to the person I got them from, and the ad is long gone. So hoping some of you might be able to id them for me :)

I believe they are all annuals, but hoping they are reseeding themselves. Haven't notice any seed heads, though, so maybe not. They have been continuously blooming for about 2-3 months, at least. So if they don't reseed, would like to buy them again if I know what they are!

Here's the pic of the full pot (sorry for all the leaf debris mixed in - wish I had taken a pic of them a couple of months ago!!):

I think you should be able to zoom in from the link to Picassa I put in the image:

But just in case, here's two more pics close-up of the yellow and the pink flowers (the one I took of the purple/blue ones was way too fuzzy):

The flowers were closing up for the night, so not a very good shot I know:

The pink ones remind me of petunias, but don't think they are.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

The pink flowers reminiscent of petunias are calibrachoas.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Hi Misty,

I agree, the pink one is very likely Calibrachoa. I had a purple one this year, and a bright yellow one last year that I really liked! I don't believe they'll reseed for you, but you never know!

I don't know annuals well enough to figure out what the purple one is! There are a couple things I'm kinda half thinking of, but yours just don't look quite right for either of them!

Not sure about the yellow ones, but if they're closing up at nite, and only open when the sun is shining on them they could possibly be a yellow Osteospermum. (There are a few hardy varieties of them now too--but I don't think any yellow ones!) Or it could be a Gazania--lots of annual ones, and there are some hardy ones of those too, and they definitely close up over nite!

Gazania linearis 'Colorado Gold'

But the foliage on the yellow one in your pic doesn't look right for either of those from what I can see! It looks more like an iceplant foliage--but it clearly isn't that! Maybe I just don't know what the foliage on the annual versions of those two things look like!

Skybird

P.S. Does anybody else think it seems very strange to have people from "all over the place" posting here now that they have their little "most recent posts" section on the main Gardening Forums page?????

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    9 years ago

Skybird: I wondered how that was happening. I saw another post about over-wintering hibiscus from someone in z7. I wondered how they had arrived at Rocky Mtn Gardening.

• digit
    9 years ago

Posted by skybird ... Tue, Nov 4, 14 ... . Does anybody else think it seems very strange to have people from "all over the place" posting here now that they have their little "most recent posts" section on the main Gardening Forums page?????

Did I do that?

No, I guess I showed up before they started that "recent posts" thing ...

I'm not sure if it doesn't lend some help. Maybe there could be a "taking over" but that would be a personality thing rather than jumping in with a line or two. Self-promoting spam will always be a possibility, no matter what, I'm afraid. Lending help is something different.

And look, I can only just see the Rockies! They are on the east side of the valley here and the Selkirks are on the west. This gravel I have to garden in is nearly all from the Rockies, much of it from Montana. So, I turned up here.

I'm also the one with the idea that a gardening forum should have more to do with climate and local flora than with political boundaries. It has long seemed to me that Sunset zones do a pretty good job of showing what makes sense and state lines do not.

Steve, from the home scratching ground of Marty the Marmot

9 years ago

Oh, Digit! You are most definitely One of Us! You understand! And I don't really have a problem with other folks showing up--but it just seems weird to me to see somebody who says they're in zone 10! Ohio! Tidewater, Virginia! And the Blue Ridge Mountains!!! Well, I guess they're mountains! ;-) Hey, I posted on the TEXAS forum one time--when I was trying to get an answer for a friend who lives "down there!" Just seems strange to see folks from the Southeast and other climes around and east of the Mississippi!

PopMama, I think the z7a person, GrandValyGirl, is out somewhere in the general vicinity of Grand Junction. The zone looked a little "unexpected" to me too, but I checked the zone map, and there is a patch of 7a out there. I think she's Kin Folk!

Glad to have YOU as Kin, Digit! :-)

Skybird

• digit
    9 years ago

Thank you, Skybird!

If you want to see a deserted forum, take a look at Idaho's. crickets

Years ago, I started off on Gardenweb's PNW forum. But, my gardening doesn't have much to do with 50 inches of annual rainfall, 50 degree nights in March and a 50 percent chance you might see the sun on any given summer day.

I have been a little lonely at times during my gardening life ...

Steve

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Digit - where DO you find all the cute images you put in your posts?! I love the Urkel one :^D

Thank you missingtheobvious and Skybird for the id's on the pink flower - I stopped by O'Tooles this evening with a snippet of each, and they agree with you. It's Calibrachoa!

And Skybird - you were right on the yellow being Osteospermum.

The blue they said was Nemesia.

So now I'm set for next year - I really like all of these. Just too bad they are annuals and don't reseed themselves. I may try rooting some cuttings and see if they take over winter.

I've noticed a few different zones showing up on occasion, and wondered about that, too. Some discussions transcend climate zones, or like you said Skybird - maybe a special situation where you are looking for answers on plants in a different climate. Or perhaps just an 'oops' ;)

But thank you, missingtheobvious (and love your screen name BTW), for being the first to id one of my flowers!! Tell us more about where you are from!

Marj

• digit
    9 years ago

Marj, I try to make a contribution. I hope to not hijack or challenge those with limited bandwidth by putting a picture up.

They're silly, I know. Of course, I identify with Steve Urkel altho' I think that character must be the single most important reason there are so few babies named Steve, these days ... Looks to me that there were a lot of young women who identified with Laura: "No no no, a GEEK party, as in nerd, doofus!"

All gardening is local. There was a time when I thought I could really get into rock climbing. I was spending a lot of time at work on top of glass houses. It was kind of a natural progression. The nature of being so close to the Earth's surface and then being able to turn and look off into the distance, those were the two things I liked best about rock climbing. You didn't ask about this but those are just a couple of things I like about gardening. You are all part of my distant view. (Thank You. :o)

Steve

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve wrote: The nature of being so close to the Earth's surface and then being able to turn and look off into the distance, those were the two things I liked best ... You are all part of my distant view.

How lovely!!!

Thank YOU for your wonderful posts, ideas, pictures, sentiments, etc.! This is a great group :)

Marj

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

This past spring, I had a few extra containers left over from planting peppers, so daughter requested we try making a few ornamental containers. Popped over to a local nursery and for a small fortune, bought some pretty annuals and DD went full Martha Stewart mode. Then I ended up spending most of the summer away from home and most of them died because the kid I payed to water stuff was, lets say, somewhat absent minded.

Anyway, most the stuff died, but I now have left one container with a fan-like grass thats about 30 inches high and another container with Nemesia blue gem, which started to flower in the greenhouse. I'll try and propagate some cuttings over the winter - seems if it can survive that amount of neglect, I should add it to the repertoire :-)

9 years ago

To be on the Earth, looking off into the distance, at the Earthâ¦â¦

YouâÂÂre in these views too, Digit---you ALL are! So nice to be part of a group that cares about our amazing Earth.

Land of the Original Caretakers [All of these pictures were taken on Lands that used to be cared for by the Ute Indians]

And I even manage to get a little gardening in when I'm out trippin'! Started this project a couple years ago and add another small plant or two each time I go back!

A wonderful Earth to be on... to be looking at... and to be able to hold in our hands.

Skybird

P.S. Misty, hope it's ok to hijack your thread now that you have the answers to your questions.

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yea, Skybird!! This has evolved into a wonderful thread :o)

Love that pic of you overlooking the canyon - very nice! And what a great thing to plant something at each of your visits!!
    Love the way it's looking.

David - good to know the nemesia is a tough plant. That's my favorite kind ;^)

Marj

• digit
    9 years ago

And pretty too, Marj! Even those plants you are trying to rescue.

David's sky blue nemesia reminds me of those lyrics, "the bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle." Remember? In my limited experience, it might be true...

I don't mean to say bad things about the country over on the other side of the desert ... and the mountains. I wonder about how Greenbean08 is doing over there, after her move from Colorado. It must have been quite a change!

Steve