Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about a Spring Swap 2012 tomato

Posted by polygonum_tinctorium 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 19:13

At the spring swap this year (2012), I picked up a seedling of something labeled "A Chocolate Drop Cherry Tom" that was in a tall, red, plastic cup.

It was a very nice tomato. It grew well and gave us many full-flavored cherry tomatoes.

I have some questions about what exactly the variety name is and where the seed came from.

If this was your tomato, would you mind getting in contact with me so I can find out more?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about a Spring Swap 2012 tomato

Polygonum,

I participated in an edibles swap a while back, High Alt Bonnie posted about it. I got roughly 25 seeds of what is labeled Chocolate Cherry Tomato "A Chocolate Drop" (c) 2011. I think I started 4 and you got one of them. I'm sorry I don't have anymore info on it than that.

I thought it was a good one, too and will grow it again. I'm glad it did well for you.

Barb

o
RE: Question about a Spring Swap 2012 tomato

Thank you!

I'm not sure it clears up my questions, but it does give me more information about it! Is there some way to backtrack to the person you got the seeds from and what they called it in the swap? Then I can go pester that person for more info.

There are cherry tomato varieties named "Chocolate Cherry" and "Chocolate Drops". I'm trying to figure out if the tomato we grew is a named variety, and if so, which one. One problem is that the tomatoes on the plant don't quite match either variety. It could be something about how the plant grew in my particular garden, of course. But it would be nice to know for sure.

I too will grow it again no matter what its name is. It was relatively early, productive, and tasted good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here