meteor04

'08 Garden memories (pics)...

meteor04
15 years ago

My earliest Scallop squash...

{{gwi:1215995}}

First ripe tom (Celebrity)...

{{gwi:1229342}}

Monster Scallop (was still quite tasty)...

{{gwi:1229343}}

Lunch snack!

{{gwi:1229344}}

Nice Pink Brandywine...

{{gwi:1225678}}

This will help kill time 'till Spring.

Comments (4)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Great pictures, Meteor! You better print them out and hang them on the wall--to help keep you dreaming of having your own real live dirt again! Hopefully it won't be too long before you have another yard with lots of room for a huge veggie garden---and some flowers, of course!

:-)
    Skybird

• digit
    15 years ago

I see very little reason for you NOT to enjoy these fruits of your gardening from containers, if need be. Maybe you would need to go to a little smaller varieties than a Brandywine, Meteor.

I don't really know about Brandywine since I've never even tried to grow one. Too few good growing days limits one just as too few square feet may.

Regarding tomato choices: (and good Harris seed customer, Skybird may take special note) Harris has come out with Moreton Hybrid after its absence for some years. This re-introduction created a little flurry of excitement amongst the tomato forum people. I took a look at it and had to be encouraged by its 70 days to maturity classification.

Talked a little to a friend about Moreton and the fact that it apparently could be considered a hybrid heirloom since it was introduced so long ago.

Then I looked at that NCSU site I posted earlier (in the cucumber thread, wasn't it). Moreton is younger than I am! Or, my friend . . . probably made him feel old when I pointed that out . . .

I doubt if any of us are as old as a few of the hybrid sweet corns but, be that as it may. I'm pleased to recapture some of the flavors of my youth (or someone else's youth, for that matter). What I'm particularly interested in are those varieties that came out in the '50's not so much because I was around in the '50's (was) but because there seemed to be a wholesale rout of the open-pollinated choices with the over-whelming numbers of new hybrids that came along.

Look back on those years - in everything "New is Better" was the mantra. Newness was exaggerated to the point of the bizarre. We had a world open up to us after WW2 and authentic plant varieties revered for decades & centuries by people in far off lands. Faced with this opportunity, by 1960 in America, we went for the plastic.

I know that this is off topic for this thread. Hope that doesn't offend.

Steve's digits

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Those photos are the essence of summer!

Hey Meteor, a guy on the tomato forum made a really cool chart, listing all of the varieties he has tried, whether or not they were suitable for containers, how tall they got, DTM's, etc. I think it would help you when deciding which varieties to grow next year. If you email me through my member page, I'll be glad to email you the chart.

Container gardening does require more diligence with watering and fertilizing, but I think you could still have a nice supply of fresh veggies and herbs next year, with some careful planning.

Best wishes,
    Bonnie

• meteor04
    Original Author
    15 years ago

E-mail sent Bonnie! And I'll be container gardening for sure next year, have a smallish patio...

I might also make a little garden at my shop. We have the room, and my bosses will gladly take payment in veggies.