Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_staley

Cattle Panel in Aurora Area

Hello:

I'm trying find cattle panel to make a small hoop house and I can't get Frontier Supply to pick up the phone.

Does anyone know of ~nearby farm supply stores that have cattle panel?

Thank you,

Dan

Comments (9)

• irisgirl
    14 years ago

Hi Dan,
    I may have help for you; let me contact a friend this week. "Hold on" - I'll get back to you ASAP.
    ~Carol

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    14 years ago

Dan,
    If you don't mind the drive to Commerce City, try Stockyard Ranch Supply. Website is Stockyardranchsupply.com
    I actually get most of mine off Craigslist. A neighbor of mine was selling some, but that was a while back. If you don't have any luck, repost and I'll check with him.
    Barb

• irisgirl
    14 years ago

Hi Dan,
    My source, likewise, says: Have him call Stockyards Ranch Supply 303-287-8081. They're located in Commerce City. They will have what he wants and probably in stock. WWW.stockyardsupply.com.' (verified)
    ~Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Stockyards Ranch Supply

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Perfect. Thank you both and happy Thanksgiving..

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Dan, I use cattle panels extensively - they do peas, tomatoes, winter squash, climbing beans, cucumbers, melons, and anything that sprawls.

What I didn't know then and I know now - how stable the things are - for 1 x 16 ft. length, if you pound in 2 t-posts evenly spaced, it won't move - wobble a bit, sure, but even if the thing it totally covered in tomato vine and in 50 mph wind gusts from a thunderstorm, it won't blow over and won't hurt the plants. I put two together length-wise, so 32 feet, and wire them together and use 4 posts for the whole run.

As well as making arches, green houses, grape trellises, etc.

Assume you know that bolt cutters are the way to go, if you need to whack one in half.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you David.

The current plan is: I'm going to make a 6' x 3.5' x 24" high little hoop house made of two layers of greenhouse film (dead air space for insulation) and make a base on hinges (for access). That will be for cabbage and whatever else for season extension, and take the extra and hang some off the trellises, and weave around the garden for peas and beans, and a couple smaller painted pieces for the perennials that flop. So I'm glad I'm on the right track.

:o)

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Dan, for me, its always a hassle to get them, so I thought I'd suggest other potential uses if you have to go through the trouble anyway.

We've had three full ones up on the back porch, resting on vegas, that has had a huge Concord Grape vine all over them. This past summer, the vine seemingly died, so I cut out all the dead stuff up on the trellises, and put down a shade cloth, and tied the shade cloth onto the panels.

The first wind that came up, the shade cloth acted like a sail, and I had 3 cattle panels banging all around the roof.....

Original Author
    14 years ago

I told the BH your story and we started brainstorming about a design for season extension, but it doesn't break down into a shade cloth because of our wind out here...

;o)

Dan

• billie_ladybug
    14 years ago

If I remember correctly I used to order them from Hutchison Western. I don't even know if they are still open as my lumber yard closed 2 years ago. Anyway, their number was 303-287-2826. You also might try WhiteCap in Aurora 303-373-2273 and you could try The Lumber Guy, if he is still around or Douglass Lumber in Castle Rock. If you try Douglass Lumber ask for Carl Bragg and tell him B from Fox-gal says hi.

Oh and if you do go cattle panels, and cut them, make sure you cut off the extra tab too. My mother's dog ran into one and it looked like she had taken two bullets to the chest. She is fine now, but what a pain it was to keep her from tearing everything open while she was healing.

Billie