Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

It's that time of year - - - earlier and earlier!

Catalogs!

I got my 2014 Pinetree catalog today! Almost fell over when I saw it! I still remember when you didn't start getting catalogs until January!

Now I'm wondering if the companies might be starting to send the catalogs SO early that people lay them aside and forget about them while they're busy with the holidays, and then the companies that send them a little later get most of the business when people are more likely to sit down and look thru them right away when they have little to do in the Dark of Winter!

Anybody else receive any yet?

Skybird

Comments (6)

• highalttransplant
    10 years ago

Got mine today too! I like getting them early. Then, I have plenty of time to compare varieties and prices before it's time to place orders.

• digit
    10 years ago

I think you are partly right, Skybird.

Two catalogs have shown up in my mailbox - Stokes and HPS came today. I'm happy to see these because I can take some time to look thru them before the holidays. A problem with that is that I tend to forget what I looked at after a couple of months.

Ordering from the later ones? Yes, that is what I think may well happen. However, the early ones ARE the later ones!

For years, I appreciated that Stokes only sent out one catalog. I felt they were doing their part to conserve resources and I didn't really appreciate those companies that would send 3, or more! Well, last year or the year before - Stokes also sent out a 2nd copy. I'm not sure if there are any of the larger seed companies that send only one copy these days!

Now, don't get weird and toss your early copies because Steve said you'd get another by Ground Hog's Day. Just find a place to start stacking them and when the pile tips over late in the winter - go back to see what duplicates you have and get those in the recycle bin . . . please.

Steve
    Rita: Do you ever have déjàvu?
    Phil: Didn't you just ask me that?

edited because i can't copy & paste right!

This post was edited by digit on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 1:15

• digit
    10 years ago

I have so much trouble growing nice carrots in this rocky soil . . . I better check what came out as fairly nice "baby carrots" in 2013 before jumping at an "improved Sweet Baby Jane type" and where has she been all my life?

How do you suppose veggie varieties get their names? Beans: Bronco, Pony Express, Hickok, Frontier - they've got a new one, Oakley. Shootinist, hootinist, tootinist . ! . . no wait, we are talking beans . . .

Cabbage! Yeah, lots of new cabbage this year. Oriental veggies . . . which Stokes lists alphabetically in the "c's" so you know they are thinking "Chinese." Funny, there's actually a link between the old Stokes and a Japanese seed company (Sakata, was it?), I read in a history of the company. You'd think they'd pay more attention to Asia these days . . . hmm . . . always the new sweet corn . . . Stokes worried me a few years ago by having so few new "anything." I guess that was the recession. . . got a new Beit Alpha cucumber and it doesn't seem to be a hybrid. Good that they've got one - I wonder if it can take cool springs. Rockstar cantaloupe, well we all want to be a rockstar. Goosebumps pumpkins. Lunch Lady!! Ornamental gourds - warted! Well, how rude!

Skipping over the accessories for now . . . Indigo Rose "cocktail size" tomato. Black tops to rose red . . . hmmm.

For the folks who can grow impatiens, Stokes always has a nice selection! You'd think they'd do well here but the hot, dry weather hits just about the time they want to bloom and you've got shriveled flowers the rest of the year . . . Jade sunflowers. I wonder if that is too much like the whites and doesn't hold its petals well. Sure doesn't look jade green to me but it is kind of green. Oh look at those pansies!! Yeah, this is petunia country. Should start them again in the greenhouse. They've got a new grandiflora, Limbo. Can't decide if I want petunia bedding plants, kind of in as state of . . . maybe I'll give that some more thought! Got that new shed-attached tunnel! Some of those shorter snaps . . . dwarf delphiniums? Oops, I must have missed the salvia . . . Where did I get those big salvia in 2012?

Steve's digits

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

I've got the HPS. And already looked through it.

And I'm tempted by those petunias as wellâ¦â¦

• xaroline
    10 years ago

My orders went in by on line catalogues.
    I am taking any paper catalogues to the book swap shelf at our local grocers.
    Impatiens are being cut back because of that downy mildew disease. New Guinea impatiens are okay,--- and it seems as though they are offering catharanthus (vinca rosea) as a replacement.
    Caroline

• digit
    10 years ago

I bet there's lots & lots of things in here (Over 250 NEW products)!

Steve

(I can remember when . . . . well, Johnny's had a lot smaller catalog. ;o)