Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Cucumber Evaluations!

Hi all,

IÂve been looking for the worldÂs most perfect cucumber for some years now, and IÂm still looking, but this year at least I did find one thatÂs really seedless! Here are the evaluations of the three I grew this year.

For the second year I grew Tasty King Burpless, and itÂs not badÂfairly smooth skin and good flavor, but it does develop seeds when it starts to get bigger.

For the firstÂand lastÂyear I grew one named Munchmore. It was terrible! It stayed really short and got really FAT very fastÂand developed big seeds immediately! I will not be growing that one again!

And my winner for this year was Suhyo TK cukeÂAsianÂobviously! I missed one of them as it was growing on the vines, and it grew VERY bigÂprobably 14-18" long and 3-4" in diameter. When I spotted it, my instinct was to throw it directly on the compost pile, but I decided to break it in half firstÂjust to see what it looked like inside. There were STILL no seeds! I took it inside and ate it! Crisp and sweet! The downside of this one is that itÂs deeply ribbed, which makes it hard to peel, and it has lots of spines, so it really does need to be peeled! Also, even when itÂs grown up on a trellis, they sometimes grow into curlicues! That I can deal with, but I really would like to find a truly seedless one with a nice smooth skin!

What varieties did you all grow this year, and what did you think of them. Can anybody recommend another variety for me to try? The most important thing IÂm looking for is seedless/burpless, and after that, the smoother the skin the better. I just went back and looked up the descriptions of the three I grew, and Munchmore doesnÂt come even remotely close to the description. Then I started looking at other varieties. There are SO MANY! I donÂt have a clue how IÂm gonna pick another one or two to try! I had to stop looking for now! IÂm determined to not order any seeds till at least January!

None of my cukes produced as well this year as they did last year, but since thereÂs only one of me eating them, I had plenty. It would have been nice to have had more to give away, but I was able to give some to the neighbors a couple times.

So come evaluate the ones you grew this yearÂand if anybody has a recommendation for me to try next yearÂthat works!

CukeKid,

Skybird

Comments (11)

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Well, in spite of only getting three of the five varieties to produce, it was actually a very productive year.

I started Lemon, and Diva, in containers, since the peas were taking so long to grow, and both died when I transplanted them. Then, I direct sowed them both, but neither one had time to actually produce before the end of the season.

So I'll just evaluate the other three.

Spacemaster - My biggest, and earliest producer. These tasted better than last years, no bitterness all season, and if you picked them when they were about 6" there weren't many seeds, and the skins were fairly tender. If you let them go longer than that, they got pretty fat, and the skins were tougher. They are not listed as burpless, but I did not have any issue with them at all. The only issue I had with them is the vines were covered with what I assume was powdery mildew towards the end of the summer.

The other two I grew were Homemade Pickles, and Little Dillicious. To be honest I don't know which was which, since the vines were all intertwined. They were used primarily for pickles, so I can't really evaluate their taste anyway. The pickles turned out fine though.

I'd like to find one that would be a good multi-purpose cucumber, good for fresh eating or pickles, so that I don't have to grow as many plants. We had six plants (two of each), and it was probably two too many. I gave away bags of cukes to at least half a dozen neighbors and friends. I've heard that County Fair would fit the description of a multi-purpose cuke, so I may try purchase some seeds for that one.

Hopefully some more experienced cucumber growers will give their input.

Bonnie

• digit
    15 years ago

Gosh, it was a terrible cucumber year. With such a cloudy, wet and cold Spring, the vines hardly had a chance.

I was so looking forward to trying a Beit Alpha type cucumber. Diva seemed like the safest bet.

The fruit had a singular appearance - small, dark green, and smooth. The flavor was unique and eating one was a singular experience.

That's right; a single fruit on the vines and then its neighbor overran it. The neighbor had precious few cukes, also.

digitS'

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I grew Green Dragon Burpless, an Asian cuke, and was happy with them. The package says it's a spineless variety. They will get bitter though if the plants dry out too much. I don't know how seedy they get if they grow big, they didn't stand much chance of that. I was watching and waiting for them to get big enough to pick! They do have some seeds, but they aren't big at all, nothing like grocery cuke seeds. The taste is somewhat like the english cukes at the store - of course, I have very rarely purchased those, so my recollection may not be the most accurate.

• digit
    15 years ago

Japanese varieties are a source for lots of those "English" cukes in the stores. (Just sayin' ;o)

d'S'

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Ok, maybe I'll call them "those plastic wrapped cukes at the store". Are they actually referred to as English cukes? I had it in my head that's what they were. Maybe they're just called hothouse cucumbers now??

Of course, sounds like you knew what I was talking about, so I can't be too far off : )
    Maybe I ought to look next time I'm at the store!

• digit
    15 years ago

The poor English must have pretty bad cucumber growing weather. Something like digitS' 'o8 garden. Still, they are resourceful with their greenhouses. And, when those fine cukes showed up stateside, we called 'em English here.

Some of that English resourcefulness meant aquiring varieties from outside the UK. There's a guy at NC State who has a real interest in cucumbers (and maybe that evolved into other commercial veggie variety interests). The link below takes you there - can you imagine growing 10%!! We can also look at (& share) some other gardeners' experiences here. But, nothing compares with over the RMGarden fence.

OT - With all the borrowing, I wonder why it is that the English seem to insist on an "English" pronunciation for borrowed foreign words while some of their American cousins make such idiots out of themselves trying to pronounce things as a native speaker . . . oh, I guess that could be it.

S'

Here is a link that might be useful: Index of /cucurbit/wehner/vegcult

• pondgardener
    15 years ago

I've had great success over the years with Sweet Success trained to go up a trellis or fence. Production has been great especially in the heat and I had quite a few which exceeded 14 inches. Seed is a bit pricey but the dividends well justified the cost. Sweet Slice was also good.

• lachase
    11 years ago

My favorite cukes are Suyo Long. I bought seed from a local grower this year and they didn't germinate. I'm trying again and hoping they take this time. I also am planting Green Dragons, but was irritated to read after buying them that they are sterile and don't produce seed (reminds me of Monsanto and corporate desire to control the food market). Had I read the packet first, I would NOT have bought them. I am also trying the Armenian cukes, which are suppose to actually be a melon. I'm curious to try those.

• bob_in_colorado
    11 years ago

I'm an Asian guy and growing up, my mom always made an Asian salad with various leaf lettuces and thick cucumber slices from these little mini Asian cucumbers. She served the salad with a soy, red chili, sesame seed, green onion and garlic dressing.

So when I got into gardening, the quest began to find those little suckers. Mom couldn't tell me the variety since she always just bought them at the Korean store. After much research, I discovered they are an Asian Malai Hybrid. They're best when their pickle size. Great for thick slices to put into salad, nice crispy texture, not bitter at all, thin skinned, no pricklies, easy to peel.

If you try, I hope you enjoy!

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

I'm stuck on Diva for the past several seasons. Its seedless, burpless (pretty much - but certainly far less burpy than anything else I've tried) pathogenetic, tender skin, makes great pickles and is great eaten fresh. One big advantage is that even if you miss one and find it when its the size of a football, they're still mild and sweet.

Drawbacks - thing is covered in flowers, but the fruit set is minimal. Using a paint brush helps considerably.

• digit
    11 years ago

David, it's a good thing I didn't discourage you . . . what was that . . . 3.5 years ago, on the Diva. Paint brush?? I never thought of that.

Still trying for a Beit Alpha type - I got Muncher seed last year. Hey! That one worked just fine in 2011! I am really looking forward to having Muncher back this year.

Right at the moment, I'm not sure that I have a favorite cucumber. Tasty Green has always done fairly well for me and Tasty King had better looking cukes when I've grown it. (I really should trellis these long cucumbers.) Turbo may be my favorite American slicer. Actually, I had such a good experience with Muncher - my favorite might be that one!

Steve