Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

What's blooming now!

I can hardly believe I still have a couple things blooming in my backyard, so I just have to post this!

My purple primrose has "come back to life" since itÂs cooled down and is blooming again! There are a couple more budsÂweÂll see if they last long enough to open up!

My candytuft has been half heartedly reblooming for a month now.

And my Rudbeckia hirta ÂAutumn Colors has been blooming for months nowÂand still is!

IÂve been well below zero a few times now, and I can hardly believe these things just keep going! Especially the Rudbeckia! R. hirta isnÂt even considered reliably hardyÂtho mine came back very well last spring! ItÂs kind of nice to still have a few things blooming out thereÂa kind of buffer from fall to the really cold, DARK days of winter!

Skybird

Comments (4)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Obviously the above should have read: "well below freezing!" Hopefully it'll be a while before it gets below ZERO!

• davies-cc
    15 years ago

Skybird, that's "well below zero Centigrade" then ;-)

Your Rudbeckia is particularly amazing, and may possibly be a sign of global warming, or the Apocalypse, or both. I have a couple delphiniums that still refuse to go, plus I put in a few annual pansies in a south-facing bed by the front entrance. That's about it for me.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It got down to 24 here last nite, and the Rudbeckia STILL looks good! Hopefully it's NOT the Apocalypse!

LOL! Centigrade works for me! Thanks for helping me cover for my olde brain! When I used to work trips to Europe, I figured out on my first trip that the hotel thermostat had to be set somewhere around 20! Sounds brrrrry!

Then add to that, that airplane speed is measured in knots!

Can't we all just get along here!

;-)
    Skybird

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Wow, it's amazing you still have things blooming! We had a week or more with lows in the teens, and that pretty much did everything in. We rebounded to the upper 20's - low 30's but the only thing I saw any blooms on after that cold spell was the Delosperma kelaidis 'Mesa Verde'.

This is the time of year when I really appreciate the ornamental grasses standing tall like soldiers, with all of the perennials brown and wilted around them.

Bonnie