Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pea Evaluations!

Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 10, 08 at 21:56

Peas are my second favorite homegrown veggiesecond only to tomatoes, so Im always looking for recommendations that others think are really, really yummyRAWmaybe I should add that, cause mine never get even close to hot water! The ones I grow are all shelling peas.

Of the four I grew this year, I think my favorite was Early Frosty. Its the first time Ive tried it, and the flavor was really excellent, very sweet, and the flavor held pretty well as they got bigger.

My second choice this year was Green Arrow, which Ive grown before. It had long pods with lots of peas, had a good flavor, and also held the sweetness pretty well as they got bigger.

Next would be Early Perfection, which Ive also grown before. Also good flavor and holds sweetness fairly well.

And last is Alaska, which Ive grown every year since I moved in here. In the past I always liked it because it seemed to be the first to produce, but this year it came in right along with all the rest. Ive also found that every year they quickly lose their sweetness when they start to get big, and this year they didnt really produce well at all, so next year Alaska is out! With so many varieties out there, Im gonna be looking for one or two new varieties to try.

Which varieties did you all grow this year, and which ones did you REALLY like, and which ones didnt you like. Im looking for shelling peas, but rate your snow peas too!

PeaKid,
Skybird

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pea Evaluations!

I grew some tasty Sugar Snap peas, but this was the first year for peas, so I don't have much comparison.

o

I've repeatedly grown Sugar Snaps, and we all love them -- even the young kids. They all get eaten raw, sometimes with the pod, sometimes without. I should try some other varieties, though. Skybird, have you eaten Sugar Snaps, and how do your favorites compare in flavor to them?

o

I usually buy seed in bulk, so a lot of my selection has to do with what I can buy by the lb. We get Maestro, Wando, and, to be absolutely honest here, what ever Johnny's has in stock when I get around to ordering them - :-).

o

Every year I build trellises for 3 garden pea types - English shell, Asian pea pod, and American snap . . . (I enjoyed assigning geography to those. Hope I didn't confuse :o) Then, I keep trying (unsuccessfully) to grow peas without a trellis . . .

The English shell peas are Green Arrow.

The Asian pea pod is Oregon Sugar Pod (doggone it, my geographical thingy just broke down!).

The American snap is Super Sugar Snap.

These all grow well, even and maybe especially with a cool, cloudy Spring. The "untrellised" varieties I've tried for about 4 years have been dwarf snap peas. If I've got extras, I want them to be snap peas.

I can remember when snap peas first showed up on the market . . . I ignored 'em. After I'd had my head examined - they have been a constant. If there was only one that I could grow, it would be a snap.

Now, if I just didn't HAVE to build all these darn trellises each year.

digitS'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here