Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Summer Squash Evaluations (and winter squash)!

I never get a whole lot of squash on my summer squashÂI think maybe because I try to cram so many into such a small spaceÂin the pic, there are 5 varieties shown!

Here are my evaluations of the ones I grew this year.

The far and away best producer I have (for the last 3 years) is Gold Rush. ItÂs a gold, zucchini-shaped one with good flavor, and the seeds stay small even when the squash get big. No matter what else I do with summer squash, Gold Rush is one IÂll always put in!

The other variety IÂve grown for 3 years now is Sunburst. ItÂs a gold scallop squash. It also has a good flavor and the seeds stay small, but this year I only got 2 squash! Not sure yet if IÂll go with it again next year.

A new one I tried this year was Sundance, a creamy-yellow crookneck squash. It had a very good flavorÂbut I only got one squash! Undecided about whether or not to grow it again.

And the other one IÂve been trying each year was Early White Bush, a white patty pan squash. I got a couple small squash this year, they werenÂt as good as the gold ones or the new Sundance variety, and IÂm nixing this one next year.

IÂve never had any luck with the green zucchini and since I really like the gold and white ones, I finally gave up on them. This is the first year I didnÂt try any green ones.

The only other squash I grew this year, and I think itÂs actually a winter squash, was spaghetti squash. I grew it up chicken wire on the fence. (The flowers on the right side of the top picture are the spaghetti squash on the fence!) I tried it one other year, but they didnÂt get big enough to use. This year IÂm not sure if theyÂre big enough or not! I got three that are out in the garage, the longest two being only about 6" long. The skin feels pretty hard on them, but theyÂre nowhere near as big as some I just saw in a store! IÂve never cooked a spaghetti squash before, but in the next couple weeks IÂm gonna give it a try and see what I come out with.

What varieties did everyone else grow, and what did you like about themÂand what did you not like? And how well did they produce?

SquashKid,

Skybird

Comments (5)

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I ate my first spaghetti squash last week. I'm going to try to grow some next year. I saw seeds for single serving size squash at Park Seed, and since there are only 2 of us, that sounds like a good idea, since the bowl I tried reheating was not great. We sliced it in half, scooped the seeds put garlic & butter in it and popped it in the oven. Next time, I won't put the butter on before cooking. It seemed to make it mushy. Other than that, I really liked it. Next time, we'll cook it plain, add garlic, butter and parmesan cheese, then pop it back in the oven for a minute to melt the parm.

I cooked the seeds too, like pumpkin seeds, but I cooked them in the frying pan instead of the oven, just to try it. They were good too.

I planted my zucchini too close this year (to each other, and to everything else). Next year, it's not going in the raised bed. It's getting some space of it's own. Of course like a dope, I thought it was a vining plant. I've only grown it once, and that was several years ago. I just though - zucchini is squash, squash grows on vines... Lesson learned... We did get some very good zuchs though. About one a day for several weeks.

My potatoes were looking great until I left town for a couple weeks. DH overwatered them. They got hit when the sprinkler system came on, and he didn't realize it. As they yellowed, he watered them more, thinking they were dry. I salvaged a few that hadn't rotted. My carrots were less than stellar. I grew Danvers half long I think. They weren't sweet at all.

All in all though, the new raised beds I built this spring produced by far the best garden we have ever had. DH didn't want me to garden this year (first year in the house, too much work he thought, so I built it while he was gone to TX for 2 weeks). I had 80 square feet this year. Next year I'll have about 200, plus a raspberry patch. DH is happily helping me this time : )

• pondgardener
    15 years ago

Skybird,

The variety I planted this year was ButterStick and it looked a lot like your gold rush variety. Production was phenomenal and for once I had no problem giving away extras. in fact I planted additional seed in early July and had a new crop in August which kept producing well up to the last frost. The yellow color works well in not allowing any huge squash from being produced...they can't hide within the green foliage. Definitely a repeat next year. I even had one squash that must have been a cross between the yellow and green varieties. The fruit was kind of a mixture of gold and green... very unique.

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

We stick to winter squash. When summer squash comes on, I've got neighbors. The kind where you lock your car when you pull into their driveway because their kids will fill the back seat with zucchini. The kind of neighbors who phone you up, and if you don't answer, send their kids over with wheelbarrows full of summer squash to put on your porch and run away. Also, any winter squash thats picked when not fully formed cooks up just like a summer squash, although with a bit more flavor and sweetness. The trick is to get them when the seeds are still small and very soft.

For winter squash, it's somewhat of a staple around here. We've tried so many different varieties, and have come to some conclusions over the years.
    - Growing huge ones is a waste, because we end up throwing most of a squash out. Frozen, cooked squash - well, you might be able to pass it off on a toddler in a high chair, but not my family.
    - Keep-ability. If you cure them well, they're good for months, at least until late April/May of the next year.
    - Salability/gift ability. Not everyone wants a 30 lb squash.

So, we concentrate on small, 2 - 5 lb squash, and the best ones we've found are two from Johnny's - Confection and Cha Cha. Confection is in the shape of a small, grey pumpkin, Cha Cha is a kabocha. They both are thick, really flavorful, and Confection can be flakey-dry. I have 70 odd in the greenhouse now. They make fabulous pie.

Another one thats fun is Guatemalan Blue. It's a smaller(10 lb max) , grey version of the banana squash. It's wonderful when its under-ripe and cooked up as a summer squash.

Linked is a recipe for the best squash pie I've ever had. I'm baking a couple of these this afternoon.

Here is a link that might be useful: good eats.

• digit
    15 years ago

Since I was in high school, I've used garden squash and the recipe from the back of the Libby can for pumpkin pie. This year, the pun'kins were so meaty that after I'd carved a couple for jack-o-lanterns and then gave those to the chickens, I encouraged DW to try a real pumpkin in a pumpkin pie. Well, she baked some pretty good pumpkin cookies and then tried it in pie. She won't want to do that again. I've got one more pun'kin. It is probably destined for more cookies.

Wanted to put my 2 cents in on squash:

I answered the Summer Squash question in the Veggie forum, yesterday.

And, the Winter Squash question, this afternoon.

digitS'

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Only one of my summer squash made it, yellow crookneck, don't know why. So I did not get much, better luck next year.

Winter squash went much better. I planted several pumpkin and harvested two really nice ones off those plants. Another area where I planted cucs I had more pumpkins come up??? Harvested two more there and two were destroyed by frost (the plastic ripped and blew off). Then I had acorn and butternut squash, one plant each. I harvested 12 acorns and 8 butternuts, not too bad.

Billie