Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azura06

Heliotropium arborescens 'Marine'

Azura
16 years ago

Has anyone ever grown Heliotrope? I was visiting Woodland Park Zoo in the Seattle area last summer and I fell in love with this plant. Has anyone had any luck with it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Plantfiles Detailed Information on Heliotropium arborescens 'Marine'

Comments (10)

• cnetter
    16 years ago

I grew it once a couple of years ago as an annual. It was pretty and fragrant, but I don't remember much else. I haven't tried it indoors.

• catladysgarden
    16 years ago

Jill,
    Dee (Skybird) had it growing in her yard when we were there for the swap. It was right next to the Nicandra. I just fell in love with it. I have obtained some seed and plan to try it next year. I know it's an annual in our climate, but I don't know much else. I would like to know if it reseeds or if I must plant it new every year.
    I got Heliotropium arborescens 'Marine' from Swallowtail seeds and Heliotropium peruviana from Underwood seeds. I believe that peruviana is the real fragrant one. They refer to it as Cherry pie Heliotrope. I have read everything I could find on it and most of my questions still are unanswered. I guess I'll find out next year. I will try to start some seed in the greenhouse in March. I asked Dee about the plant and she really didn't know any more at that time than I know. She said she just picked up a pack of seed at Target or Wal Mart. I hope someone on the forum has more information.
    Karen

• Azura
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info on where to get the seed, Karen. It is a gorgeous plant and the cherry pie scent sounds heavenly.
    I am also encouraged by what Ive read about heliotrope in the Winter Sowing Forum. One person winter-sowed it in zone 5 with success and several others spring-sow it.

Heliotrope

Btw, did you get the nicandra seeds from me in the mail?

• catladysgarden
    16 years ago

yes, I got the Nicandra. When do you plant them?

• nancy_in_co
    16 years ago

Hi,

I have grown Heliotrope for years so I can probably answer some of your questions. First, I have only grown Heliotrope Marine and it isn't very fragrant but I love the look.

The plants are easy to grow but they take a loooong time. I start at least a flat of seeds in Feb. I generally start them in small 6 pks so that would be 72 plants. They have a pretty good germination rate (maybe 80%) but some of them will sprout but not thrive. So from my flat, I cull the best looking ones and transplant sometime in March to either bigger six packs or 3" pots. They like to be fertilized regularly and pinched back so that you get a bushier plant.

I live at 6000+ ft so I do not transplant them out until the end of May. They do not like cold at all. And while they like moist conditions, cold and wet will get you lots of black frost bitten leaves. If they do get frosted, cut them back and it will take a while but they will be fine.

I grow them in partial sun conditions and heavily amended soil. I use a well for outside irrigration so the gardens get watered maybe once a week. They do quite well with flowers in July.

Hope that helps, Nancy

• khabbab
    14 years ago

can i grow it as perennial in my zone? And should i fall sow it for summer flowering?

thanks.
    Khabbab

• nancy_in_co
    14 years ago

Hi Khabbab,

I looked up some info and it says that it is hardy to 35F so it should be perennial in your zone. I can't answer your question about fall sowing for summer flowering but I would definitely try it. All you will be out is a packet of seeds. I am not certain where 10b is (all of us in the dry mountainous west only dream of 10b!) but you will have to keep them watered if you are in a drier area.

Good luck, Nancy

• jclepine
    14 years ago

Khabab,

Since you are in a different country, it might help if you confirm which zone system you are using. Most posters here use the USDA zone system, I'll put a link to it below.

But, some use the Sunset Garden zone system which is entirely different. I used to use that system because it was very accurate and had specialized zones for microclimates.

Since most people on the boards use the USDA system, I now use it too.

What can you grow in Pakistan? Do you get lots of snow? I don't know why, but I imagine you can grow lovely tulips there!

Welcome to the Rocky Mountain Garden forum!!

I WAS going to put a link to the USDA hardiness zone map, but it won't help you to click on a North American map!! Instead, I linked to a Wikipedia site. I hope that helps.

J.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info about hardiness zones

• khabbab
    14 years ago

we have sub-tropical semi-arid climate. Winter does not go beyond 5c while summers are really harsh i.e. above 100F. we get moonsoon rains in july/august. Technically its almost zone 10b.

• jclepine
    14 years ago

That sounds like it could be frustrating trying to find good plants that can tolerate such weather extremes! But, a challenge can be fun :)

J.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!