Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

RMG Seed Exchange '10

highalttransplant
14 years ago

Yeah, I know it's still 2009, but I thought I would start this thread now, and see how much interest there is before the new year arrives.

In '07 and '08, I did the swap in the fall, but several people said that they hadn't finished harvesting seeds yet, so I thought maybe doing it during January would be better timing for everyone.

This isn't actually a group swap, but more of a place to connect with other gardeners with similar growing conditions, so that we may share our seeds with one another.

Here's how it works. You can either:

1) Post a list of seeds you have that you are willing to trade, or maybe just give to someone willing to send a self-addressed stamped envelope.

OR

2) Update your GW exchange page, and post a link to it, so that people can see what seeds you have to trade, and which ones you are looking for.

Then, you can post here if you are interested in something from someone's list. You could also email that person privately, but be aware that some people have trouble receiving emails through GW, so you may want to post your request in addition to the email.

If you post a list or link, be sure to check in occasionally to see if anyone has made a request. Seeds will be sent directly to the person making the request, so you will need to exchange addresses once a trade has been agreed upon.

Seeds can be ones that you have harvested from your garden, or leftover commercial seeds. Most of us will be ordering seeds for the upcoming gardening season, but will only use a few out of each packet. This is a good way to share what you have, and expand the variety of seeds in your inventory.

My trade list is fairly up to date, but I may post a list of some things that I have in abundance. So while you peruse all of those new catalogs, go ahead and update your wishlist on your trade page. You never know who might have some extras to share.

Bonnie

Comments (15)

• gjcore
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm always open to trades. I have 2 list the first is what i just ordered. The other is seeds that are from the last few years. Most of my "older seeds" have been stored well and should germinate just fine.

Incoming seeds from Heirloom Acre Seeds:

1....HLAVS457....Casaba Melon....Pkt(25 seeds)....0.95....$0.95

1....HLAVS031....Bulls Blood Beets....Pkt.(100 seeds)....1.25....$1.25

1....HLAVS350....Blacktail Mountain Watermelon....Pkt.(25 seeds)....1.75....$1.75

1....HLAFS022....Hollyhock, Summer Carnival Mix....Pkt.(50 seeds)....1.50....$1.50

1....HLAVS103....Green Wave Mustard....Pkt.(200 seeds)....0.95....$0.95

1....HLAVS608....Alfalfa....Oz.....1.25....$1.25

1....HLAHS009....Summer Savory....Pkt.(50 seeds)....0.95....$0.95

1....HLAHS025....Nasturtiums-Dwarf Jewel Mix....Pkt.(25 seeds)....0.95....$0.95

1....HLAHS021....Thyme, Winter....Pkt.(100 seeds)....1.50....$1.50

1....HLAVS332....Dandelion....Pkt.(100 seeds)....0.95....$0.95

1....HLAVS126o....Clemson Spineless Okra Certified Organic....Pkt.(100 Seeds)....1.75....$1.75

1....HLAVS596o....Laxtons Progress No. 9....Pkt.(1/4LB.)....2.75....$2.75

1....HLAVS200o....Vegetable Spaghetti Winter Squash Certified Organic....Pkt.(25 Seeds)....1.75....$1.75

The older seeds -

Asparagus Mary Washington
    Austrian Winter Peas
    Basil  Sweet Italian
    Bean  McCaslan (6 seeds left)
    Beans  Blue Lake Bush
    Beans  Chaco Canyon
    Beans  Dragon Tongue
    Beans  Henderson's Black Valentine
    Beans  Roma II Bush
    Beans  Triomphe De Farcy
    Borage officianalis
    Broccoli  Green Sprouting Calabrese
    Brussel Sprouts [long island improved]
    Carrot  Chantenay Red Core
    Carrot  Cosmic Purple
    Carrot  Red Cored Chantenay
    Cauliflower  Early Snowball A
    Cilantro
    Sorrel - Common
    Corn  Country Gentlemen
    Daisy, Shasta  Alaska
    Eggplant  Early Long Purple
    Eggplant  Ping Tung
    Endive  Batavian Full Heart
    Forget Me Not  Blue Bird
    Foxglove  Digitalis
    Hairy Vetch
    Huckleberry  Chichiquelite
    Lettuce  Amish Deer Tongue
    Lettuce  Lollo Rossa
    Lettuce  Paris Island
    Lettuce  Tom Thumb
    Marigold  Petite
    Marjoram  Sweet
    Melon  Kansas (American Melon)
    Melon  Thayer
    Melon  Tigger (10 seeds left)
    Moss Rose  Double Mixed Colors
    Mystery Bag (received in a trade, maybe Nasturtium)
    Parsley  Italian
    Parsley  Moss Curled
    Parsley  Triple Curled
    Peas  Tall Telephone
    Pepper  Black Hungarian
    Pepper  Cascabella
    Pepper  Sweet Banana
    Pepper  Tunesian Baklouti
    Peppers  Organic Pablano
    Poppies (received in a trade)
    Portulaca  Verdolaga
    Radish  German Giant
    Rosemary
    Sage  Broad Leaf
    Squash  Butternut
    Squash  Yellow Scallop
    Sunflower  Mammoth (organic)
    Sunflower  Mammoth Girasol
    Thai Mustard Greens
    Tomato  Aisla Craig
    Tomato  Flame (Hillbilly)
    Tomato  Red Cherry
    Tomato  Thessaloniki
    Wheatgrass

I'm usually generous with my seed but some items I might give out smaller amounts.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gjcore, that is a very nice list! Some are things that I have, but there are a few I'm not familiar with. I'll look them up when I get a chance, and let you know if there is something I am interested in. I'll also work on getting my trade list updated.

Bonnie

• margaretmontana
    14 years ago

I have 40 some varieties of open pollinated or heirloom tomato seeds but it will be some time after Christmas before I get a list made. Let me know if you are looking for a specific type or color and maybe I can help you for sase.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gjcore, now that the Christmas holiday is over, I have had a chance to look up some of the items from your list. There are a few that I am interested in, and a couple that I have questions on.

Would love to try the 'Kansas' and 'Thayer' melons! Also interested in the Lollo Rossa lettuce. Can you tell me if the 'Tunesian Baklouti' pepper is a hot or sweet, and if hot, how hot is it? On the yellow scallop squash, is it a hybrid variety, and if so, are the seeds commercial?

I am listing seeds that I harvested this year from my garden, but I have tons of commercial seeds, and seeds received in trade on my trade page, which I am linking below. Check it out and tell me if you would like to trade, or if I should send you a SABE.

Here are my freshly harvested seeds:

Agastache 'Apache Sunset' ('08,'09)
    Alyssum 'Golden Queen' ('09)
    Asclepias tuberosa 'Gay Butterflies' (mine is orange and yellow - has none of the red that's advertised) ('09)
    Dianthus knappii ('09)
    Gaillardia 'Goblin' ('08, '09)
    Gaillardia 'Burgundy' ('09)
    Gaillardia 'Oranges & Lemons' ('09) (Harvested from a hybrid, no guarantees it will come true from seed)
    Chives ('09)
    Garlic Chives ('08, and '09)
    Parsley, Extra Curled Dwarf ('09)
    Penstemon pinifolius ('09) The tag on the plant said 'Compactum', but it is several inches taller than the Compactums I bought through High Country Gardens, and the needles are longer too.
    Penstemon pinifolius 'Compactum' ('09)
    Pepper 'Alma Paprika' ('08, '09)
    Pepper 'Chocolate' ('09)
    Pepper 'Mini Belle' (Red) ('09)
    Pepper 'Mini Belle' (Chocolate) ('09)
    Pepper 'Tequila Sunrise' ('09)
    Rudbeckia 'Cherry Brandy' (small amount)('09) - remember this is a hybrid, so I can't guarantee what you'll end up with)
    Rudbeckia 'Irish Eyes' ('09 small amount)
    Rudbeckia 'Ruby Gold' ('09) Mine were gold, no red.
    Sage, Broadleaf (Salvia officinalis) ('09)
    Tomatoes - I harvested seeds from 'Indian Stripe', 'Cherokee Purple' and 'Kellogg's Breakfast', but have given most away already. Can spare a few though.

My trade page is not complete. My wishlist is current, but the "Seeds I Have to Trade" section is not. I have tons of peppers (probably 50 kinds) and tomatoes (over 125 varieties) that aren't listed, either because I only have a few, or they are 2 or 3 years old. So like Margaret, if you are looking for something specific, I will check my seed boxes.

Bonnie

• aquawise
    14 years ago

My trade list is up to date. I live in Utah so so so cold this year. check it out I love to trade. Will do sharing for Postage and cuttings if you like! LMK.

• dirtshaman
    14 years ago

I am looking for seeds! I can't seem to find any around my area at the moment. I am beginner gardener and have access to a large amount of sunlight and artificial light. I have fruiting pepper plants to trade for seeds or can give cash. Hit me up with a PM if you are down to help out a newbie with some seeds!
    -Rufus
    Windsor, CO

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome to the RMG forum, Rufus!

Your trade page doesn't list an email address, so I can't contact you. If you would email me a list of what you are interested in, I can give you my address, then you can send me a BEAP (bubble envelope with return address label and postage for the return trip).

You probably won't find seeds locally until February, but there are lots of great online seed companies to order from, such as Pinetree, Baker Creek, Fedco, Heirloom Acres, Stokes, Diane's, Gourmet Seed Int'l., Territorial, etc. Looking through seed catalogs is a great way to spend a snowy January day, LOL.

Bonnie

• gjcore
    14 years ago

Bonnie, Those peppers are hot. I purchased them from Baker Creek. Here's what they have to say - "The traditional pepper of Tunisia, a small country on the famed Barbary Coast that was once considered the "bread basket" of the Roman Empire. Large red, tapering pods have a wonderful hot flavor, but tend to get more mild with cooking. Delicious flavor that is perfect with couscous..." The scallop squash also came from Baker Creek as a gift and there isn't much info on the package.

Greg

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info, Greg! I'll pass on the peppers, since they are hot, but I'd like to try the squash, along with the melons and lettuce I mentioned above.

Did you see anything on my list above, or on my trade page that interests you?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Greg, for a great trade!

Anyone else interested in trading? Just post a list of what you have to trade, or a link to your trade page.

Bonnie

• gjcore
    14 years ago

Thanks Bonnie for the trade including the extras :-)

• grubbyknees
    14 years ago

Here are seeds I'd like to trade for: poblano chile. Biggie, or other Anaheim-type chile, chichiquelite huckleberry, applause tomato, strawberry spinach. I'm willing to try most any extra short season seeds you may have.
    Here are what I have to trade: Laginaria Longissima-a gourd picked young and used as a summer squash. flesh is firm and flavorful. does not get mushy when cooked. Long vines, but they are happy climbing a fence- very pretty too. Seed originally from Nichols.
    Wild Wyoming Liatris. looks just like the domestic ones to me, but must be one tough flower to survive and thrive without aid here.
    Red clover, hyssop officianallis, and some assorted hollyhock seeds- not the extra frilly ones.
    Email me at: rhondacrow@hotmail.com

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

Alright, so Im a couple months late this year! I kept putting it off because I was planning to list all the info (height, color, etc) with the seeds I have again, but since it looks like I wont be getting that done, Ill just do a list of the names, and Ill be glad to answer any and all questions about the specifics. And Ill be glad to post pictures of any of them for anyone whod like to see what they are!

This is all seed Ive collected in my yard, and some of it is a couple years old by now, but its all stuff that should still easily be viable, and I send plenty of seed so you can plant it heavily if you want to be sure.

I do it a little bit differently than others! I dont actually do trades anymoreif somebody wants something I have I just send it to them (if you happen to have something I want, dont worry, Ill ask for it!) I put the seeds in a plain business envelopeunpadded, but virtually all my seeds arent the kind that are crushable, so that shouldnt be a problem, and if something does get crushed, well, it was free!

If you see something youd like to have, please PM me thru GW. As far as I know thats working for me now (it didnt for a long time!), but just to be sure, if you PM me, post it here so I can watch for it and let you know in case I dont get it. And one request! Please include your screen name in the PM so I know who you are! Oh, and make the subject something about RMG Seeds or something to be sure it doesnt get deleted by mistake!

Most of this is the same stuff I have every year, but some of you are new, so heres what I have availablein no particular order!

Agastache foeniculum anise hyssop, licorice mint (this is the one youre looking for, Red!)

Aquilegia chrysantha fragrant yellow columbine - blooms a LONG time

Lavandula angustifolia English lavender

Penstemon strictus Rocky Mountain penstemon

Alcea rosea hollyhock, mixed colors (theyll be shades of pink!)

Alcea rosea Nigra" black hollyhock really dark, dark, dark red (these are the oldest seeds, but they should still be good! I couldnt collect any new seed once I had other colors since they cross pollinate!)

Hibiscus moscheutos Disco Belle Pink hardy hibiscus these get to be HUGE plants, up to 5' high x 5' wide, and they have large, 6" to 10" flowers

Crocosmia Lucifer the hardiest Crocosmia and easily hardy to z5, worth trying in z4!

Thalictrum aquilegiafolium shade, tall, flowers are purple fluff!

Heraclium lehmanianum cow parsnip (romantic name!) shade, HUGE PLANT (like 8' to 10' tall!) Huge leaves! Huge flowers! Needs WET soil!

Echinacea purpurea plain old purple coneflower! what I got off of these is mostly chaff, so youd get a bag that looks like a LOT of seed, but there will really only be a few seeds in the whole bag. Next time I collect seed Im gonna try to get more seed than chaffbut Im not really sure how to do that at this point!

Aruncus dioicus goatsbeard the seed for this is almost like dust! shade, moist to wet

Callirhoe involucrata poppy mallow this one is apparently extremely hard to germinate. On the other hand, Ive had seedlings come up naturally, so I know its possible, but I dont think anybody Ive ever sent seed to has gotten it to germinate yet!

Armeria pseudarmeria thrift, sea pinks mixed pinks this is the tallest one with the biggest flowers and theyre mildly spice scenteddifferent colors, slightly different scents!

Cyclamen hederifolium hardy cyclamen white pretty little things with bi-colored green leaves that come up in the fall and are evergreen all winter summer dormant z5!

Catananche caerulea Cupid Dart blooms all summer with regular deadheading

Rudbeckia fulgida Goldsturm Black Eyed Susan this is the one thats definitely hardy, z4 smaller flowers than the ones that arent reliably hardy (R. hirta)

Snapdragons mixed colors variety thats 18" to 24" high technically an annual, but they often come back and they reseed all over the place!

Nicandra physalodes ANNUAL!

Garlic chives this stuff should be reseeding all over the place with all the seeds it drops, and its not, so maybe its hard to germinate for some reason! Dont know for sure!

Plain old generic dill! definitely NOT hard to germinate! This one DOES come up all over the place!

Foeniculum vulgare Rubrum bronze fennel this one doesnt have an edible bulb!

I think thats everything! Sorry, Bonnie! Even the few new things are pink or purple!

If anybody wants more information on any of these or wants to see a picture, just let me know. Otherwise, PM me with what you want and your addressand post here that you PMd me.

Heres to a GREAT year in 2010,
    Skybird

P.S. OK! Not to confuse the issue, but it dawned on me that I had posted the descriptions of most of these things last year, so go here and scroll down to November 21 for the descriptions

And go here for pictures of many of them. There are some things listed/pictured here that I didnt list this year, but I might still be able to find some seeds if you see something youre interested inbut ask me here about it first before you send me a request for it! And if youre interested in something that isnt described or pictured on these posts that you want more info on, just let me know!

Bedtime!

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

Bump!

• provogirl
    14 years ago

Skybird,

I sent you a PM earlier today about seeds. Thanks for all you help.

ProvoGirl