Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Sunrise, Sunset!

Hi All,

In some ways this may be my most favorite day of the year! It's the shortest day of the year, so I always know that from now on--very slowly--the days will start to get longer again! Short, short days--and, recently, with too much cold to do anything outside even during the little bit of daylight we have right now, is just not a happy situation as far as I'm concerned!

Totally by coincidence I happened to discover that Stevation had posted (on another site!) the site I'm linking below where you can look up the sunrise and sunset for every day of the year--anywhere in the world! I checked out Denver so I could do a lookie-see on how soon it's gonna actually start to FEEL like the days are getting longer again! By January 16 the sunset will be back up to 5:00, and then it starts picking up a minute or two every day! Hallelujah! Let there be LIGHT!

Snow all along the Front Range here tonite and tomorrow--giving us all a White Christmas, and it looks like a beautiful sunny--and white--day for Christmas Day!

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays to each of you--whichever ones you may celebrate!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise - Sunset!

Comments (6)

• amester
    12 years ago

Same to you, Skybird - I am loving the white mulch I'm seeing everywhere...even if it did leave me stranded in Colorado City on Tuesday!
    White Christmas, here we come - sledding included. :)
    Happy Holidays to everyone!
    Amester

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Thank you for sending us hope, Skybird - I, too, am looking forward to longer (and warmer) days ;^) Although today, being snug and warm working from home, the snow (or white mulch, as Amester calls it - perfect!) is really pretty.

Have a wonderful Christmas,
    Marjie

• jclepine
    12 years ago

Yeah! Thank you Skybird!

We've got about 10-12 inches so far and it is still comin' down. So pretty right now.

I'm ready for the daylight, yes I am!

Happy everything to you, too, Skybird, and to all of you. I've been so busy in school I haven't been here much but I stop by now and then.

Jennifer

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

I know a lot of wintersowing enthusiasts start sowing seeds today, on the Winter Solctice, but I'm wondering if it's mainly people without small children at home. There's no way I would drag the potting mix and recyclable containers into the house with all of the kids home, and Christmas decorations, and baked goods all over the kitchen! After the first of the year, once the house is clutter free and quiet, I'll start making my germination list, and hopefully get started sowing by mid to late January. I'm attempting to overwinter a few pepper plants this year, so that is satisfying my need to garden for now.

We only got about an inch of snow last night, and the sun is out now, so our chances of a white Christmas are quickly dwindling. I was hoping the kids could do some sledding during the winter break, but there isn't any more precipitation in our forecast at least through Wednesday anyway. At least we can enjoy time together. Our family has rediscovered the old pastime of puzzle building. Unlike a lot of board games, all ages are able to participate to some degree.

Hope everyone has a safe and joyful holiday!
    Merry Christmas Rocky Mountain Gardeners!!!
    Bonnie

• xaroline
    12 years ago

Our weather person says if we want white Xmas to look out our north facing windows.
    And if we want a brown Xmas to look out our south facing windows.
    The snow is melting and no new snow in our near future.

The best of the season and all of 2012 to each of you!
    Caroline

• digit
    12 years ago

This is terrible!

No, Happy Holidays, Everyone!

What's terrible is the Weather Service is actually predicting a chance of rain this afternoon! This after a month of only 4/100 of an inch of, what was that, hoar frost? The thermometer hasn't been above 32F for weeks now and there has been a string of nights lately in the teens - including last night. A high of 33F predicted for this afternoon and, it's gonna to rain!!

Weeelll, there's a better than 50% chance of snow everyday beginning Tuesday so I think we may be finally getting out of this dry spell. I just hope that we don't have too many people dipping too deep into the punch bowl over the next few days - the roads are gonna be like glass!!

Here is a Holiday quiz to occupy your odd holiday moment:

Which of the following holidays DOES NOT occur in December?

Boxing Day
    Kwanzaa
    St. Nicholas Day
    Candlemas

>>>>>>>>>>>>>If you guessed Boxing Day . . . you are incorrect. Boxing Day is the first or second weekday after Christmas Day in many British Commonwealth nations. That odd name has nothing to do with fisticuffs but rather with "boxing" up offerings for the church.

If you guessed Kwanzaa, maybe because it wasn't around when you were a kid . . . you are incorrect. It is actually a week long celebration that begins December 26th. It was "invented" in 1966.

If you guessed St. Nicholas Day perhaps because you were being very clever and thought this might be a trick question . . . you may be very clever but you are incorrect. St. Nicholas Day is usually celebrated on December 6th or December 19th (in most Christian Orthodox countries). And yes, St. Nicholas = Santa Claus.

And that only leaves Candlemas! This is the correct answer because Candlemas comes on February 2nd.

There are several traditions associated with Candlemas Day:

Ceremony upon Candlemas Eve
    Down with the rosemary, and so
    Down with the bays and mistletoe;
    Down with the holly, ivy, all,
    Wherewith ye dress'd the Christmas Hall

Also, yes it is! It is Groundhog's Day! Celebrated on February 2nd in the United States and Canada. The groundhog tradition comes from the weather lore of western Europe associated with Candlemas.

Me? I've got my stash of food & goodies and if'n the ground is gonna be covered with ice and snow - I'm done with my winter walks. Maybe, I can poke my head up again by February 2nd!

Steve