Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High Country Gardens Out of Business?!

Posted by Zinnia1 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 2:07

Right around this time of year I start perusing the garden/seed websites and look forward to the catalogs coming in. I was shocked to find that one of my favorites, High Country Gardens, went out of business last month after 19 years. Sad to see them go, I always had success with the plants I have ordered from them through the years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High Country Gardens Out of Business?!

Zinnia,

It's true, they're gone. We just discussed that a bit in digit's Seeds! Seeds! Seeds! post on December 1st.

It's hard times for nurseries. My local favorites, Picadilly and Cimarron are now gone, too. Going to have to explore some new possibilities and learn to grow more from seed I guess.

Maybe this will make our swaps more valuable.

Barb

o
Still in Business Jan 2013

Check their website. Still in business, at least for mail order.

o

Have you found another nursery that caters to the high country? I don't see where they still have a mail order business, and it was my favorite nursery, too.

o

If you're in the Denver Metro area, Dirichmond, Kelly at Timberline Gardens on West 58th in Arvada carries most of the same plants that were sold by High Country--and more. Kelly is VERY into native and xeric plants and grows things you won't find anywhere else in the Denver area--but no mail order! I checked his site and his perennial list for 2012 has been taken down and the new one for 2013 isn't up yet--he must be working on it!

In addition to Timberline he has his own private business, Cold Hardy Cactus, where he sells a LARGE selection of hardy cacti plus some really cool agaves, some yuccas and a few other miscellaneous things. And he DOES mail order those, so if you're interested in any of that I recommend you check out his site, linked below. (There's also a direct link to Timberline on his Cactus Home Page!) And if you ARE in the Metro area and are interested in cacti, you can see a LOT of them blooming at Timberline, usually in June, but the extreme heat last year had them all messed up and they bloomed way early!

Don't know of any other mail order places that would be similar to High Country.

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold Hardy Cactus (dot com)

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 21:35

If anybody's interested, I ran into the High Country site today when I was looking for info about a particular plant and it's looks to me like they're "back" in business as usual!

Right now, until February 20, they're having a "Pre-order your plants NOW, and save 20% sale!

Here's a link to the homepage!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Gardens

o

Still getting my catalogs. Not sure I'll survive the DW if I purchase any more plants for the yard, but still!

o

Latest info on the HCG website is they've been sold to American Meadows. I received an email notification about the sale.

Harlequin Garden in Boulder is another great local resource for sustainable plants.

o

I just got an email with their latest sale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here